new user needs some help

Cr0n_J0b

3 posts in this topic

Hey,

I've just freed up a system for my first snow leopard build and I'm not quite getting it. I've read through a number of the guides and they make some sense but they are also very confusing.

What I have done so far is to get a Retail Snow Leopard DVD.

I have an AMD opteron 160 with 2GB ram and an Nvidia Graphics card

The motherboard is an A8N-SLI Deluxe.

I have a 500GB drive that I was able to boot into with an iPC disk, just to get it formatted.

I have it setup with an EFI 200MB partition, a 350GB partition and a 60GB partition. I'm not sure why I went for 2 partitions other than the fact that people said it's a good idea to have a partition for backup purposes.

I have the latest Chameleon boot disk.

What I do is put the boot disk in and let it get to the graphics prompt, swap disks for the retail disk and hit F5. At that point i hit enter and it streams along until finally just halting waiting for root device. I figured that might be a disk issue, so i've tried the rd=disk0s2 with various options, 0,1 -- 0,2 -- 0,3 -- 1,1 -- 1,2 etc...but nothing really helps.

what am i doing wrong?

I also faced some different problem, but the fact here is nobody seems to care much about AMD as no one is sure about what to say for an AMD problem. If Intel, then there are many solutions.

Now as I bought an AMD PC, I curse myself for doing that, have to stick with virus packed Windows or Application-less Ubuntu.