Installing Snow Leopard On A Dell Precision 490

cbushjr56

40 posts in this topic

thank you twuble for download link u saved me :) :)

becouse megaupload link is down i was getting mad i try all of bootloaders eaven try to make my own usb chameleon boot loader but with no luck.. chameleon boot loader wont boot at all i always get errors so with this 490boot i get error pci root uid not found and computer restarts :( so dont know what problem is and where that problem comes from not so much of informations to go with i even make my own DSDT.aml with DSDTSE editor i burn all cd's with all kind of bootloaders and im trying install original 10.6.0 version i remain with one last DL-DVD on witch i can put 10.6.7 version of mac but dont know if 490boot will work with it and dont know is that error in bootloader or becouse karnel version of mac couse i try options from netkas post http://netkas.org/?p=271 i tried UID=0 UID=1 and -pci1 -pci0 nothing works then i search google and found on tonymacx86 forum this link http://www.tonymacx8...?t=375&p=220854 i check my DSDT.dsl file to see if there is any info about DEVICE(PCI0) so i know is it 0 or 1 and here it is what i found

Device (PCI0)
	{
		Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
		Name (_UID, 0x04)
		Name (_ADR, Zero)
		Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
		{
			0x0D,
			0x05
		})
		Method (_S1D, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			Return (One)
		}

i dont know should i change

this line Name (_UID, 0x04)

to Name (_UID, Zero)

or Name (_UID, One)

what could be that error is that graphic card or cpu or hdd or its just some bug in 10.6.0 that is fixed in newer versions please someone help ???

this are my specs:

Dell Precision 490

CPU: Intel Xeon DP 5060

MBO: Dell - 0f9382 - foxconn

GPU: Point of View NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 256MB

RAM: Qimonda 8GB FB-DDR2

HDD: Two 150GB 1WD1500HLFS in raid 0

• 2 weeks later...

No worries guys. Glad to help.

NeoNe, did you read my post #15 and #16 in this thread? I originally got those pci root uid not found errors when trying to install, the link in post #16 has more detail about the problem, but the basic fix is to not install 10.6.0 and instead install 10.6.3 as this has a fix in it for those issues.

On an unrelated note.. I was just trying to get this working properly again and always seem to have problems with my video setup (even though I got a GeForce 8400gs as well so it would work with the mac), but then realised I hadn't added in the natit.kext file. I added that in and also did a change found elsewhere - "10.7.2: add 0x10c310de&0xffe0ffff to /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist as a string to the key IOPCIPrimaryMatch. May work for other GeForce 8400GS cards too" and now it seems like it's all working with the correct resolution for my monitor, can even change all the settings in the display options and i'm rocking dual monitors as well! (on Lion now)

Further update - actually using the Natit.kext meant that it worked but without any QE/CI support, which I needed. So I removed the natit.kext, and did the EFI string injection into my org.boot.Chameleon.plist (running Chameleon v2.1). Now it's all good with two monitors and QE/CI, Yah!

• 2 months later...

Do I have to merge this with some kind of installation DVD???

When I burn the iso, I get a CD with only a few files on it:

/usr/standalone/i386/cdboot

/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

/Extra/Preboot.dmg

and some theme files in:

/Extra/Themes/Default/

And this disk is not bootable??

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Hey, guys. I'm working at this now. I've got dual e5345's 4 cores each @2.33gHz with 16gb samsung 667 FB-Dimms, radeon had 6750. Can't even boot yet. In the process of downloading the files from that latest link, so I'll let you guys know as soon as I make any progress, if any is made.

• 2 months later...

got a 490 today

so 2 x 2ghz, 4gb, ati card, 250 gig.

tried using the 490 dl but my SL was no good, bad copy. so I tried Lion but it just crashed straight away.

tried the

Snow Leopard OSX86 10.6.6 SSE2/SSE3 Intel Only by Hazard but it cannot see my h/d<LI>so tried iAtkos 10.6.6 and same result, DU just cannot see the drive.<LI>BUT Ideneb 10.5.5 distro sees the HD and installs especially if i dont add any extras in the customisation, and it install and reboots just fine.<LI>had trouble seeing my CPU's properly but i reset everything in the BIOS and it sees 2 CPU 4 Cores, which is good cos I have 2 x quad cores ready to go in 2.33GHz.So it is nothing to do with what file system or partitioning is on the drive, because I am attempting the 10.6 disc again with my 10.5 taking up Partition 1.

Thanks

Just a trick that could help : I had the same issue, no hd detected during installation of Iatkos SL. But it is possible to have it seen when I put it in a USB ensclosure and when I connect it on an Apple keyboard.

• 11 months later...
I have a Dell precision workstation 490, and im trying to see what im going to need to put osx snow leopard on my pc. ive done it before on my dell precision 380, years ago. can anyone help me out? These are my specs.

Motherboard Name- Dell Precision WorkStation 490

CPU Type- 2x QuadCore Intel Xeon X5355, 2666 MHz (8 x 333)

Motherboard Chipset- Intel Greencreek 5000X

System Memory- 8192 MB  (DDR2-667 Fully Buffered ECC DDR2 SDRAM)

Video Adapter- ASUS HD7770 Series  (2048 MB)

Audio Adapter- SigmaTel STAC9200 @ Intel 631xESB/6321ESB - High Definition Audio Controller

Wireless Network Adapter- Airlink101 Wireless PCI Adapter

Network Adapter- Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller  

FireWire Controller- VIA VT6306 Fire II IEEE1394 Host Controller (PHY: VIA VT6307)

364gb Partition With Windows 8 (Current OS)

100gb Partition For OSX Snow Leopard <----- THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO USE!

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT: I should also provide some information here that could be useful for others.

I'm getting closer to a working installation, so I'll provide tips for those in the future who want to make it work.

1) iATKOS SL v2 (the one that's available from their website) seems to be a great starting place for an installation. Having it all on one disk vs. having to switch disks is invaluable time saving for troubleshooting.

2) the computer ships with an IDE disk drive by default. And people find themselves unable to install to a SATA hard drive. I'm going to try switching it for a SATA based DVD drive, and then I'll disable the IDE ports in the bios. I will of course update with results.

3) I initially had an issue where the USB keyboard and Mouse wouldn't work once I got the OS X disk to spin up, making it possible to proceed to disk formatting or further installation.  I simultaneously moved the keyboard/mouse to the bottom row of USB ports on the rear of the machine and used a boot flag that does a handful of USB tricks.  I'm not sure which one fixed the problem but...it worked.  UPDATE: USBBusFix=Yes

I'll just keep updating this post as I get further in the installation process.

• 1 year later...

Hi there I am hoping you guys can help me. I have a Dell 490 also that was running Lion perfectly well till one day it just booting the OS and saying OS not set yet... any idea's? Thanks, one discouraged user here... any help would be much appreciated.