Slick hackintosh cases

bofors

104 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its not yet a Hackintosh as I am still putting things together but here is what I am using to house my Xeon 3060

xoxide_1929_190150064.gif

I really wanted to use my old case (below) and still might if I can find a good heatsink that will fit in it

LC17.jpg

I am all for stylish cases that dont look like a UFO with all the lights on them :D

for all those with the G5 case fetishes.. before you decide to slaughter a PowerMac case and realize that it will look like a right mess with the IO ports, and dremmel heaven.. take a quick peak at this..

PC-V1000-001.jpg

it's the lian-li v1000.. and yes a little pricier, but you can just drop an ATX standad board in it with minimum probs ;-) i would have liked it more with just one 5.25 slot for DVD-R

i am also looking for the ultimate case, and this is one that I'd buy if I didn't already have another old skool lian-li case that I like. until there is a an IO panel ATX kit for the G5 case, this is the path i'd take.

i also agree with bofors.. those fishtank pc's make me sick.. my girlfriend has made me open all our electrical appliances and break / disconnect all the leds in the house ;-) and guess what the things still work perfectly without little annoying lights!

here's an excellent review of the case aswell: http://www.dansdata.com/pcv1000.htm

I just got word that there is an updated version to this case.. it's the v1200, and has an updated cooling handling.. apparently.. it weighs a little more and is even pricier, but might be worth it (?) anyone with experience please tell us. ;-)

my nerd wet dream would be to have this in white :D but they are only avail in silver / black..

cheers

:happymac:

osxG

This is also one of my favorite cases and will be my next case. My friend has a Lian Li very similar (can't remember the model number and too lazy to google it) but is vertical like a stereo component and it is pretty nice. I just wish the floppy drive bezel wasn't plastic.

I ended up getting three CoolerMaster Centurion 5's for my Conroe Hackintoshes: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26508

pict0003ho7.jpg

pict0006wh8.jpg

They are not perfect but the pretty close to being the right case for me. Since, I am building more than one computer and going with a more expensive aluminum case (like Lian Li) did not make much sense. I also like the Centurion side intake for use with the ThermalTake Big Typhoon, together they provide cool air directly to the CPU.

I really only have two complaints. First, one of my video cards is a little loose in one of the cases and because Certurions are "tool-free", there is not easy way to tighten it up (there is a hole is the case for a PCI bracket screw but it is not threaded). Second, the case is designed to hold up five 5.25" and two 3.5" external devices but only three internel hard drives. So when you what to stuff four or five hard drives in the case (like I do for RAID), it becomes a hassle (and again the "tool-free" features are part of the problem).

The CoolerMaster RC-330-KKN1-GP has a much better interior design as far as I am concerned (and also includes space for a 120mm front fan whereas the Certurion only has space for an 80mm):

11-119-115-07.JPG

It is also a little cheaper, but lacks a front FireWire port and not quite as slick on the outside:

11-119-115-02.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811119115

• 3 weeks later...

the white antec case mentioned in the first post is a very nice case (i personally own one due to reading this thread) one comment though - if you intend to use the other bays - use quality white components for the 'mac feel'. Of all the cases i have seen i prefer it - matches the apple components i allready own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

hey dudes, here is mine, i got it off ebay, its pretty MAC STYLE... it even has the carrying handle at the top and has plenty of room and space inside... so far its a good case.. . MAC can keep there G3s and G5s. I came up with my G-UNIT tower :) and i am loving it! Its completely tool free! Except for one bolt to the motherboard, the rest is held on through resistence.. which is kool!

so i got the MAC and the happy face all i am missing is my G-UNIT sticker :)

post-119688-1189751517_thumb.jpg

I'm all about the Antec P-182 in gunmetal, brushed steel or stainless for heavy lifting... the interior is insane, softest silicon vibration isolators I've ever felt (all over the place) and all in all likely the quietest case on the market

p180b1_q.jpgp182SE_q.jpg

But I haven't seen anything that looks as good as the Shuttle (or anything that I would want *on* my desk):

post-68409-1190089950_thumb.jpg

- stealthed drive

- brush aluminum face and consistent design on all sides

- multi zone cooling (completely isolated CPU airflow)

- front pegs put the case on a raised incline which looks totally wicked when it's sitting on the desktop/surface

(975X and p35 chipset versions support quad cores, 4 DIMM slots, 4 SATA (w/ 1x eSATA), 1xPCI and all the usual stuff in ~half the footprint of a mATX case)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the most awesome case I have found to date:

Neo-Link 1200 Watt dual power supply system: One 650 Watt Neo Power is responsible for poweringthe motherboard and add-in cards, while another 550 Watt, handles your drives and other peripherals. 1 x 120mm TriCool rear fan

1 x 120mm TriCool lower chamber fan

2 x 140mm TriCool top fan

Side 200mm Big Boy fan with air filter.

11-129-028-02.jpg

This would be a neat combination. You get almost mac mini size with Conroe speed... now if only I could find a slot-loading cd-rom.

N WIN IW-BT611T.240SL Black/ Silver Best Performed 0.8mm SECC Japanese Steel metal MicroATX Desktop Computer Case

post-46964-1193286954_thumb.jpg

Intel BOXDG965SSCK LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

post-46964-1193286968_thumb.jpg

No offense guys, and I'm sure you all appreciate these cases, but I think they look disgusting.

I use a Mac Pro and a Macbook pro, and none of these designs come even close the the simplicity and perfection present in those cases. They all look a bit tacky and cheap in my opinion.

As for emulating an Apple case - why bother? It just looks like a craptastic imitation.

Having said that, my web/file server and associated 8 drive raid sits in a custom made cardboard box in the garage, so I can't really talk ;-)