Slick hackintosh cases

bofors

104 posts in this topic

Q-Tec G5 (silver, there's a black version too):

14451.jpg

Link of a guy working on it: http://forum.techzine.nl/forum/list_messages/66161 (if anyone could translate that would be cool to know what he was doing, because apparently he changed the front... and it looks nice).

THis case is also known as a Linkworld 431-06. I have my hackintosh in this case, the silver version that is. I filled it up completely (and unusefully) with floppy-drive (not supported in OSX anymore) and DVDrom+DVDRW though in essence only the DVDRW is needed.

It's a nice case the only niggle I have is that the plastic door at the bottom (where the front audio and USB ports are) is painted silver on the outside but not on the inside/backside. The inside o/t case at the USB/audio mounts is luckily painted silver (so I could remove the doorpannel if needed). The assembly is not high class e.g. but the first impression is not bad.

The case comes suplied with a very silent PSU 420W.

Considering its cheap price its not a bad deal even with the not so hot build quility. The inside is roomy enough and easy to put all the standard stuff inside. In my case: Full ATX mainboard, PCI-E GFX card, DVDROM, DVDRW, Floppy and 1 S-ata HDD

Regards,

EPDM

Q-Tec G5 (silver, there's a black version too):

14451.jpg

Link of a guy working on it: http://forum.techzine.nl/forum/list_messages/66161 (if anyone could translate that would be cool to know what he was doing, because apparently he changed the front... and it looks nice).

Basicly. He cut out the front completely except a slim border on which he mounted a new front made from real metal (more like a real G5). Then he made a hole to mount the reservoir for his watercooling (approximatly where the floppy drive used to be. He removed at the back the mesh for the extra fan to put the pump o/t watercooler.

The rest o/t pictures are self explanatory. In the end he writes that the case isn't finished yet. For instance there's no power/reset button. And he wants a new sidepanel. Changing hte DVD-tray with a metalplating, He's gonna put some display above the DVD-drive (made the space and covered it momentarily with metal mesh. This the part that remained original at the 3rd picture where only the adjusted front is vissible). And he wants to change the extra fan with one containing UV-reflective material.

Apparantly he's got some plans :D

Oh it's for a windows PC to take at LAN-parties not for a Hackintosh :)

Regards,

EPDM

i absolutely love my CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case! i wanted it ever since i saw it about 3 years ago in 'maximum pc's dream machine'!

the ONLY minor issue i have with it is the front fan on the case. with the black mesh and a fan behind it - about 3 weeks afterwards, you'll physically see dust on the mesh exterior (in front of that fan) but a simple burst or two of canned air and it's gone. sweet case and ~$45 or $50 at newegg.

I just got back from looking at the Centurion 5 (again) at CompUSA, I am still struggling to figure out which case I want for my new Conroe build: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26508

I don't like the front fan either, it is too small, 80 mm. I would probably rip it and its bracket out, and install two 120 mm fans instead, one in the external drive bay cage. Otherwise, this is great case for dirt cheap. NewEgg actually had the Centurion 5 going for about $33 after $10 rebate a few days ago. At the price, I am not going to feel any guilt about moding it.

I personally like the jou jye case CF-2029

http://www.joujye-computer.com/pccase_cf-2029.htm

It looks much better in real than these photos. They have a beautifull gloss paint and the front is a thick plexi plate with sturdy mounts. This is a very simple case, no doors, simple layout with standard bays. But this case gives its own distinctive style. I think that especially the black one is absolutley gorgeous. I have a beige one myself although they also have a lighter tint leaning more towards white.

They also have some variants of this case like the CF-2129 but the simple one CF-2029 is IMHO the most beautifull (less is more certainly applies here). But as I said in photo it looks lame. There's also a mini-tower version of this case too. Again I think the standard midi-tower looks the best.

If I hadn't already had this linkworld case I'd have gotten that CF-2029.

I just would have liked 2 blue leds in the case instead of blue-power led and orange-HD led.

Regards,

EPDM

• 2 weeks later...

i think what better will be case with same structure as G5 case.

1) aluminium

2) a well thought-out airflow (why G5 are so silent? because they have a good airflow system, total 7-9 fans at slow speed make good airflow and they are inaudible)

3) case with "zones" for mobo, hdd, psu.

i think what one of the best cases on the market is Lian Li.

i like Lian Li V1200 plus II

it's aluminium, same airflow system and separate zones for mobo, hdd, psu. and i like it's design.

if i can buy it here in Russia, i'll do it. but nobody sell Lian Li

..................... some days ago i get my own G5 case and planned to fit my hackintosh on it.

cool thanks! but 299 is a lot of money... well im from germany so shipping will be very expensive i think :) but 1 euro is 1,35 $ at the moment so its about 1/3 cheaper...

maybe i really look first on ebay :idea:

Yes, those Jou Jye look nice:

But I am not sure if they are sold in North America.

The latter of those cases is what my Carrera SSC pc desktop came in about 3 years ago. It has blue metal underneath however but the glass and blue LED gives a cool effect without it looking garish.

does someone know where to get NEW original empty G5 or Mac Pro cases except ebay?

http://www.allmac.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4157

I've just ordered my new hackintosh system :) the case is a Lian-Li PC-7 Plus.

That's a good choice, NewEgg has had those on sale lately too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811112099

11-112-099-07.JPG

We could easily have an entire thread devoted to a discussion of Lian Li cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any slick cases without floppy drives? I haven't used one of those in years, I wish they'd stop putting them on cases, either that or come up with a good use for the space they consume.

Personally, I'm partial to white, don't really know why, but it looks "better" imho.

I'm holding off for a case that only has two placed for slot loading dvd drives on the front, and that's it. I figure I'll be waiting a while...