• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

formerglory

formerglory

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

No, you want to erase everything on the SSD because Windows 7 itself takes up around 10GB of space, leaving you around 5GB to work with.

That's assuming you're using a stock Win7 install, and not a slimmed, vLited one. Use a guide like this: Install Windows 7 on Dell Mini 9

Similar guides for similar netbooks are able to slim down the install to around 3GB, perfect for the 16GB Cr-48 drive, and leaves room for Chrome OS.

kkdart

kkdart

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

That's assuming you're using a stock Win7 install, and not a slimmed, vLited one. Use a guide like this: Install Windows 7 on Dell Mini 9

Similar guides for similar netbooks are able to slim down the install to around 3GB, perfect for the 16GB Cr-48 drive, and leaves room for Chrome OS.

A little tip to keep win. 7 from hogging too much space. Delete system restore data or stop using system restore. (It automatically uses 3% of your HD for it.)

To disable it go to startmenu>computer>on bar on top it says "System properties" click that> left panel it says system protection> click configure > delete > and then drag the slider to the left to 0% and you have about 1/4-3/4 of a gigabyte.

stargazer418

stargazer418

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I installed XP on mine and it works great. The only problems are:

1: During installation you have to keep telling it where D:\i386 is located.
2: Only the very basic drivers are installed. For graphics, Wi-Fi, sound, etc. you need to go on a different computer and save them to a flash drive.
3: Still haven't found a driver for the Gobi ethernet. If anyone can help me with this, it would be appreciated.

The installation only takes up 5 GB on the SSD, and runs very fast on the Atom CPU.

mayank.1love

mayank.1love

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I installed XP on mine and it works great. The only problems are:

1: During installation you have to keep telling it where D:\i386 is located.
2: Only the very basic drivers are installed. For graphics, Wi-Fi, sound, etc. you need to go on a different computer and save them to a flash drive.
3: Still haven't found a driver for the Gobi ethernet. If anyone can help me with this, it would be appreciated.

The installation only takes up 5 GB on the SSD, and runs very fast on the Atom CPU.

I got lenovo drivers for gobi hope it works for CR48 too
try it from here
http://www-307.ibm.c...MIGR-72938.html

Is there any way to enable ad-hoc wifi by changing wpa supplicant file in chrome os CR48?
Is there any way to skip the first setup steps in chrome os and skip directly to the login screen via any commands in shell or for that matter add or delete users via shell? I have seen some user commands in bin that can be helpful, firstly I need write access to the system files.
I am as a root in the shell in chrome os but still it doesn’t let me write to the system files, what do I need to do to enable it.
Before activation the usb ports in the chrome cr 48 are disabled and any usb device connected to it is always powered off. Is there a way to enable the usb port and power it on and later mount usb device before the initial setup of chrome os from shell?
Also do anyone notice the presence of GPS inside the CR 48?
Hope anyone could answer all my questions.
Thanks

stargazer418

stargazer418

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

I got lenovo drivers for gobi hope it works for CR48 too
try it from here
http://www-307.ibm.c...MIGR-72938.html

I already tried that and it still shows up in Device Manager with a yellow exclamation mark.

mljother

mljother

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

1) Use Disk Utility to make a DMG of your Snow Leopard install DVD.
2) Restore that image to a GPT-Partitioned flash drive.
3) Install Chameleon there, and copy the Extra folder and "boot" file to the root of the flash drive.
3.5) If your installation DVD is with 10.6.3, download the teateam kernel for that from here and place it on the root of the flash drive, and modify com.apple.Boot.plist accordingly.
4) Install Mac OS X to the SSD.
5) Reboot from the flash drive to get into the new installation. Install chameleon to the SSD and copy the needed files (boot, kernel, Extra).
5) Combo update to 10.6.5, and delete AppleHDA.kext before you reboot. Place in VoodooHDA.kext, and use Kext Utility to fix things up.

Can somebody clarify these steps for me? Would I be able to instead boot up with an #####-USB and install Snow Leopard that way, then install the ##### chameleon? If not, how do I put the chameleon files on the snow leopard USB? Drag/drop from zip? Thanks. :)

EDIT: I tried dragging and dropping and that (obviously) didn't work, so I am confused as to what I am supposed to do. It doesn't boot from my USB drive. I thought it was because I didn't have Ubuntu installed (I had just flashed the Luigi installer) but that wasn't the case, so I installed Ubuntu but it still doesn't want to boot from the USB drive. Any help thanks?

mayank.1love

mayank.1love

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I already tried that and it still shows up in Device Manager with a yellow exclamation mark.

try this one as the modem we have is a Sierra Wireless Gobi 2000
http://solutions.us....A41534-6772.EXE

stargazer418

stargazer418

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
After installing all 89 updates ( :) ), Google Chrome, various drivers, and Scrybe for the touchpad, I'm left with about 9.4 GB to work with.

mljother

mljother

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

After installing all 89 updates ( :) ), Google Chrome, various drivers, and Scrybe for the touchpad, I'm left with about 9.4 GB to work with.

Sorry to be a bother but I really am confused on how to get the Laptop to boot from the USB key, it's not seeing it. :)

damis648

damis648

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Sorry to be a bother but I really am confused on how to get the Laptop to boot from the USB key, it's not seeing it. :)

Use Disk Utility to create a DMG of your Mac OS X install disk (on a real Mac or other Hackintosh). Then partition a flash drive (>=8GB) with GPT and a single partition. Use the "restore" feature to restore the DMG to the partition on the flash drive. Then install Chameleon (either manually or just with one of the packages, such as #####). Then you should be able to copy the "Extra" folder, and the "boot" file. (Also a kernel if you need that.)

echamp1

echamp1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have Win7 32-bit installed and running fine.

I'm trying to map the function keys to similar commands that ChromeOS had them mapped to (i.e. volume up/down, brightness up/down). I'm having a little trouble here.

Using Eventghost, I can get the volume up/down/mute mapped (and I can add an OSD for each change too, which is pretty neat). However, I can't seem to find any way to map brightness up or down. Eventghost doesn't have any plugins that I know of to achieve that. I'm a bit at a loss here.

Has anyone else had any luck mapping the function keys? Any help would be appreciated!

Update: Okay, so maybe Eventghost isn't the best option for this kind of thing, it is designed for automation, not key remapping. Does anyone have any recommendations for a key mapper/hotkey editor that can enable common functions (win key, and fn keys)?

coggy9

coggy9

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Can the CR-48 boot from its SDCard slot? If so,how can I get my OSX DVD onto my SDCard? I don't have a Mac or Hackintosh,but I have Linux and can convert DMGs to IMGs/ISOs.
EDIT: IT does. Now could you please explain

) Install Chameleon there, and copy the Extra folder and "boot" file to the root of the flash drive.
5) Reboot from the flash drive to get into the new installation. Install chameleon to the SSD and copy the needed files (boot, kernel, Extra).

? This is my first Hackintosh and I can't seem to find any help via google.

pj.paito

pj.paito

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I managed to install 10.6.3 on my CR-48 using the retail dvd and NBI(Netbook Installer) with a couple of your kexts to make it look prettier, native resolution, sound, wifi etc...everything seems nice except thats it's appears a little sluggish :/

ANYWAY the big problem is the trackpad, looking at the startup log I notice that ApplePS2Controller detects alot and gets really really excited:
ApplePS2Touchpad: Synaptics capabilities query result 0xd0, 0x00, 0x73
ApplePS2Touchpad: Synaptics TouchPad v7.5
ApplePS2Touchpad: Detected toucpad controller "Standard TouchPad (TM41xx134)" (ModelID: 0x1E0B1)
ApplePS2Touchpad: Initializing resolution to 2159 dpi
ApplePS2Touchpad: Compensating for geometry, setting resolution to 1338 dpi
ApplePS2Touchpad: Capabilities 53363, 0xD073
ApplePS2Touchpad: W Mode Supported :D
ApplePS2Touchpad: Palm detection Supported :D
ApplePS2Touchpad: Multiple finger detection Supported :D
ApplePS2Touchpad: Trackpad supports extended W mode
ApplePS2Touchpad: Using peak detecion method
ApplePS2Touchpad: IOHIKeyboard does not have any target!
Between the source for ApplePS2Controller:
http://code.google.c...d.cpp?r=131#265
and this little bit of hope that it did work in Ubuntu i wonder if we can get this solved?
http://cr-48.wikia.c...rking_in_Ubuntu

Right now the trackpad moves the cursor around very well its just as smooth as Chrome OS but I can't click anything :)

wolfskinbjc

wolfskinbjc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Please help a brother out.

If someone has managed to put OS X on this can you please take a few minutes to write a detailed guide? I have been working all day on it, but I don't know enough about OS X.

I know its a lot to ask but I have searched GOOGLE up and down and CANNOT find a detailed guide on how to install OS X. It would BE AMAZING if someone can share the love and write one. I would forever be great full, as I'm sure others would be.

Heres what I have. I have a 10.6.3 installation disk, and I can get that onto a USB drive via Disk Utility (im using a VMWare of mac, I have no real mac).

From there, I can't figure it out. I've messed around with NBI and #####, but I'm not 100% sure what i'm doing with those.

1) Use Disk Utility to make a DMG of your Snow Leopard install DVD. (I can do this)

2) Restore that image to a GPT-Partitioned flash drive. ( I can do this)

3) Install Chameleon there, and copy the Extra folder and "boot" file to the root of the flash drive. (I have NO Clue how to do this, because I cant explore the drive, and I don't know how to install chameleon) Edit: I can get the cr-48 to start the installation, but i cannot click with the trackpad (I can move the mouse, just not click) so i cannot use disk utilities to format the drive.

3.5) If your installation DVD is with 10.6.3, download the teateam kernel for that from here and place it on the root of the flash drive, and modify com.apple.Boot.plist accordingly. (mine IS 10.6.3 and i've downloaded the kernel, but do NOT know how to modify com.apple.Boot.plist correctly)

4) Install Mac OS X to the SSD. (Can't get this far)

5) Reboot from the flash drive to get into the new installation. Install chameleon to the SSD and copy the needed files (boot, kernel, Extra). ( would need further explaination of this)

5) Combo update to 10.6.5, and delete AppleHDA.kext before you reboot. Place in VoodooHDA.kext, and use Kext Utility to fix things up. (update is now 10.6.6, and need better info of this)

pj.paito

pj.paito

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Wolfskinbjc,

Judging from that pm you sent you are so extremely close its not even funny!! I used the arrow keys space and enter to get though everything :) Also Alt+F2(Page Forward) selects the top mac menu :)

When I installed it i actually used a quick and dirty install of iDeneb 1.3 i then used disk utiliity to setup my flash drive with the 10.6.3 retail disc and Netbook Installer with those kexts and rebooted and I was good to go.....I wish bluetooth worked though I could use my Magic Mouse or something :/

Anything else feel free to pm or write here :)

wolfskinbjc

wolfskinbjc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you!!! I needed the key combo of cnt f2 and was good. Every thing installed fine however. Once im in os x. The mouse moves but still no click button. Any help here? Once i can actually move the mouse i should be really good to go!

registerme

registerme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Windows 7 runs AMAZINGLY on this thing,its faster than my dell laptop which is a 2.2ghz athlon 64 x2 with 3 gb ram and a 320gb hard drive. I downloaded the video drivers from intel and now the only things missing are "unknown device" and Gobi 2000. if it helps anyone figure out what it is,the device id of the unknown device is "USB\VID_0CF3&PID_3000&REV_0200"

thanks for the update. do you know if anyone's found a solution to that "unknown device" when cr-48 runs windows 7?

echamp1

echamp1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm pretty certain that's the Gobi 2000 3G WWAN adapter. I unplugged it and took it off since I don't use 3G (to save weight and battery life) and I don't have any unknown device markers in my Windows device manager.

For those reporting super fast Windows 7 speeds, are you running 64-bit? I have 32-bit Lite install (custom created with RT7Lite), and while it isn't super slow, I wouldn't call it fast by a long shot. I went with a 32-bit lite install because it has a smaller footprint than 64-bit builds (I have 7 GB free once all my extra apps are installed) and because 64-bit didn't seem necessary on an Atom with only 2GB of RAM.

If anyone reports Atom running faster on 64-bit than 32-bit, please let me know!

thanks for the update. do you know if anyone's found a solution to that "unknown device" when cr-48 runs windows 7?

pj.paito

pj.paito

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thank you!!! I needed the key combo of cnt f2 and was good. Every thing installed fine however. Once im in os x. The mouse moves but still no click button. Any help here? Once i can actually move the mouse i should be really good to go!

No Problem!!! The trackpad problem was what I was discussing in post #33, It's close but no cigar :(

I don't think anyone with OS X has the tap to click on the trackpad working, its a real show stopper for me.

wolfskinbjc

wolfskinbjc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did get the trackpad click to work! I plugged in a usb mouse, when to sys prefrences, and clicked trackpad, and had to enable trackpad click! it worked!

However, How do I update from 10.6 to 10.6.6? I know they stopped support for atom in 10.6.2. any help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy