Snow Leopard on ASUS G51JX-X1 (laptop)

madwh

8 posts in this topic

edit aug 2011: Lion thread here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263949

I got this ASUS G51JX-X1 a week or so ago and decided to follow gravicle's tutorial but things didn't go exactly right because it's slightly different laptops. I'm opening this thread to potentially help people with the same laptop. This isn't a perfect guide, I'm not saying this is the only way to make it work or anything like that, all I'm saying is that this is what worked for me (with best approximation but I can't detail/recall every single thing I did) and there could be steps that are or aren't necessary.

edited Jan 9, 2011 (removed useless steps, added fixes)

Installing OS X

- I updated the bios to version 208 (206 was installed).

- burnt nawcom's cd to a cd. ( http://www.mediafire.com/?64qwfmqsl6fuglm version available at the writing of this tutorial and what I used, no idea if other versions work)

- booted from cd, when it got to the graphic interface (and it takes a bit) I swaped the nawcom cd with the retail snow leopard dual layer dvd. (the first original release of 10.6 snow leopard)

- pressed F5 until the snow leopard appears as an option and booted into it.

- went in disk utility and created an hfs partition (mac os x extented journaled) for os x and a fat32 for windows. (up to you how much you leave for each, if not sure go half half), if you don't need windows and no plans to install windows later you can just format the entire drive in hfs.

- exited disk utility and continued with setup but right before starting the install I would go into customize and at custom options and then at audio uncheck voodooHDA, I couldn't boot because of it.

- after the install was done I could boot into the os x install with nawcom's cd (booted with the cd and chose the os x partition) or without the cd but with bootflags nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=No (when partition or hdd selected at the chameleon graphical interface you can start typing this before pressing enter) because otherwise I would get a white screen after os x loaded when it's supposed to show me the desktop.

(((- if you didn't uncheck voodooHDA in customize when at os x install you might have the same problem I did and you would have to boot with the nawcom cd into single user into the os x install (boot flag -s or arrow down on drive or partition and choose single user) and type the following commands:

sh /usr/local/bin/voodoohda-uninstall

then type:

fixkext

then type:

reboot

You should then be able to boot into os x.)))

- I then started this guide from step 3, I pasted the guide into a .txt in the attachment just in case. I did the UserDSDT DSDT.aml on desktop variant and used the DSDT.aml in the attachment.

- A couple things about that tutorial and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]: if you want os x to recognize your laptop as a macbook pro also check in customization -> system definitions ->macbook pro.

- Also, if you want proper aspect ratio so the apple logo looks normal at the boot screen (white screen with the apple logo and spinning wheel every time the system boots) in customization -> themes -> choose either tonymacx86 classic or remixed, I like the classic one. It changes the chameleon theme but it also fixes the aspect ratio for the boot screen.

- next I dropped over the kextutility icon asus hotkeys.kext for fn keys.

- I then installed VoodooHDA for sound: dropped voodoohdahelper into /usr/local/bin (click on go on the menu bar and then select go to folder and paste the path to go directly) and then org.voodoo.driver.voodoohdahelper.plist in /Library/LaunchAgents . Double clicked the included VoodooHDA.prefPane . I dropped VoodooHDA-2.62.kext into kext utility.

- The sound works wonderfully: speakers and mic but everything the microphone hears is played through the speakers and it’s super annoying especially when listening to music through headphones (hear sounds around you, feedback) and this can be easily fixed in the voodoohda pref pane in system settings but the settings don’t stick after reboot, to make the settings stick follow the tutorial in the folder “save hda pref pane settings after reboot” in the attachment. After this any changes you make to the voodoohda pref pane remain after reboot and you can do this for any os x user (the tutorial) so the settings stick. You can use my settings (the screenshot in the voodoohda folder), it’s mainly sliding the “monitor” slider all the way to the left which cancels the annoying feedback.

- For 64 bit kernel and extensions (a whim really) I had to use the arch=x86_64 boot flag and then for a permanent fix I added

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

to the com.apple.Boot.plist in the extra folder (or just edit arch=x86_64 instead of arch=i386) but you can skip this if you just use the boot plist I use (in attachment), replace the com.apple.Boot.plist in the extra folder directly on the hdd or partition where os x is installed

- Sleep works either by clicking sleep or closing the lid but I have to remember to always turn off the keyboard backlighting before putting it to sleep, otherwise the lights go crazy, they blink like crazy.

- I was able to update to 10.6.6 through software update without a problem, everything still works and I now have the app store. (edit: the tutorial from tonymacx86 should take care of updating to the latest os x as I see they update their tutorial so you update directly to the the latest snow leopard, they did for 10.6.6)

Installing Windows and dual booting

Pop-in the windows dvd (or flash drive or whatever) and install windows like normal, install it on the fat32 partition you created in the os x install (windows makes it ntfs no matter what). Once in windows install easybcd (also in the in the attachment) and add os x (mbr), save and reboot. You can also change settings in easybcd like selection screen timeout and order of options. Really easy and it works. iReboot is an awesome little program for windows (made by the same company), it sits in your tray and you can click on it and pick an os and when you restart it boots into that os but just that one time, so next you reboot it will boot into the os you set as default. It’s super useful like say you have os x as default os when your computer boots and you’re in windows right now and need to reboot back into windows (installed an update or whatever) and don’t want to sit by your computer until it gets to the boot menu to choose windows.

It's possible to dual boot with with chameleon (I have it like that on my desktop computer) but then there's problems with the windows activation (no activation meaning no xp mode and microsoft security essentials antivirus or other programs that depend on windows activation) and sleep (no hybrid sleep, only normal sleep).

Reinstalling OS X

If you ever need to reinstall os x simply redo everything, all the steps above for installing os x, minus the bios update of course. After installing os x, chameleon is the default and first bootloader but if you don't want to use chameleon to get to windows (the problems with chameleon mentioned above) or if chameleon doesn't even recognize the windows partition anyway (my case) you would have to reinstall windows and use easybcd (like above) but if you want to keep your windows install and files you can do this:

1. Boot into the windows 7 dvd

2. After the language select screen, choose “Repair your computer” from the lower left

3. The system will not find any installations. This is okay, click the top radio button and hit Next

4. You’ll see a list of “System Recovery Options”. Open up the Command Prompt

5. Try typing the following commands in order: “bootrec /fixmbr”, “bootrec /fixboot”, “bootrec /RebuildBdc”. (case sensitive) If these complete successfully, go ahead and skip the next step. However, if any of these steps reports “Element cannot be found” you need to reconfigure the disk configuration.

6. You’re going to use DISKPART to make the Win7 partition active. Type diskpart. You can type “HELP” for a list of commands or check out Microsoft’s help page. Basically you select the drive first (“LIST DISK” and then “SELECT DRIVE [number]“) and then the partition (“LIST PARTITION” and then “SELECT PARTITION [number]“) where Win7 is installed. Then type “ACTIVE” to make the selected partition active. Once this is finished, repeat the previous step.

7. With the bootloader now created, we need to let Win7 configure it. Restart and boot from the DVD again, and choose the same repair option as before. Now you should see your Win7 installation listed. Allow the installer to repair the system. You may have to repeat this step once or twice, but eventually the bootloader will be fixed and your machine will work again!

once win7 bootloader is repaired, set osx partition to active

After all this once you're in windows go in easybcd and add os x (mbr), save and you're all set.

Problems

I can’t read from the windows partition no matter what, it only shows in disk utility but it doesn’t let me mount it. To transfer files between os x and windows I installed macdrive in windows (hfsexplorer works too). The crazy blinking of keyboard backlighting if I put it to sleep with the keyboard lights on. I couldn't turn off just bluetooth (without wifi) to save battery. Don’t make the mistake I did and share on a network the entire os x partition in system preferences in sharing (you then have to boot into setup dvd and fix the partition permissions).

Everything else works just like a real mac. Please ask if you have any questions and think I can help, also I would love some hints if anyone knows how to fix any of the problems.

post-261772-1293834248_thumb.jpg

os_x_install.zip

Hi, we have similar laptops.

First off, great writeup. I am currently downloading the nawcomBootCD to follow your method. But can you list your specs so I can expect the differences in our procedures? Thanks.

I have installed OSX on my previous laptop but never this distro. Also, I used the Kalaway procedure. This nawcom way is new to me. Therefore, I have a few other questions:

Did you actually purchase Snow Leopard? If no, how did you "patch" it to prevent the "Windows activation" like procedure?

As for your partition table, in my past experiences, OSX is very picky and insists on being the first partition. Does this still hold to be true or can you install OSX behind other partitions such as Windows, Linux, ect....

As for the files you replaced, what is the purpose of doing this? And can you provide the source of these files? Including the kext files please?!

Lastly, I did not understand the mistake you mentioned at the very bottom concerning sharing the partition. Can you please elaborate?

The help will be much appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

By the way: I am very jealous of your backlit keyboard. That is the only feature my laptop is missing. When I purchased it, there was no model with it included. :-/ I'm keeping an eye out for a replacement that fits this model.

For my specs just click the first link I posted (the name of the laptop). Using an actual snow leopard dvd from apple is preferred but... Also, there's no "patching" or "activation". I'm not sure about what partition os x likes, first partition is probably best, I know it works for me. What files are you asking about that I replaced? The kexts are what it says they are for (audio, fn keys etc), the DSDT is for many things, it's supposed to work with all laptops that are similar like mine and his, (and it worked for me) but if it doesn't work for you consult gravicle's topic to create your own DSDT, fakesmc is for smc. The surce of most stuff I used is gravicle's tutorial, second link, and all the files you need are included in the attachment of my first post, the only exceptions I think it's the bios (just update from asus) About the sharing thing... just don't share the entire os x partition in system preferences in network if you're on a network, bad idea.

Thanks so much for posting the guide. It was really helpful and i'm saving bunch of money rite now :DD

i just have some issues with wifi and audio.

can you explain in more detail the steps that you took to get the audio and wifi working?

thanks again, for your hard work and cooperation with the nawcom.

Thanks but I don't think I mentioned on here that I cooperated with nawcom. I actually did, more or less, he helped me directly with the commands for when I couldn't boot because of voodooHDA. He's a great guy especially if he's in the right mood.

For me wifi just started working after I installed the DSDT.aml I didn't do anything special for it to start working. For audio I did just like I said:

- I then installed VoodooHDA for sound: dropped voodoohdahelper into /usr/local/bin (click on go on the menu bar and then select go to folder and paste the path to go directly) and then org.voodoo.driver.voodoohdahelper.plist in /Library/LaunchAgents . Double clicked the included VoodooHDA.prefPane . I dropped VoodooHDA-2.62.kext into kext utility.

These files and method are from gravicle's tutorial, it's pretty self explanatory. I simply copied the files to those locations, doubleclicked the prefpane to add the settings to system preferences and then I installed the voodoohda kext by dragging it over the kext utility icon.

Do you have exactly the same type of laptop, G51JX-X1?

yep i have the exact model xD

i bought t couple months ago.

the reason i got this is cuz i heard hackintoshes were successful on this model reported by people around yotube and such.

i talked to nawcom and got some help myself xD and i heard he helped u out a bit too;P

anyways, i'll keep trying and see what i can do to fix "our" problems :P:D :D

I updated the first post and I would absolutely love to know if anyone has any idea what I can do to mount and read the windows partition from os x. Installing things like paragon ntfs and ntfs 3g+macfuse (tuxera) doesn't do anything.

• 1 month later...

It's sad how many people with this laptop or similar laptops pm me directly because they can't post here yet because of the 10 posts limit. The administrators of this forum are not helping with that policy, they really should lower the limit or do something about it so we can talk easier and so that everyone sees everyone's problems so they can help each other and so that others see their solutions in the future.