Music aint what it used to be

30 posts in this topic

Ive got an ftp with 30gb of mp3s.... pm me :poster_oops:

max

Just for fun I'll reply to that:

I've got a Usenet account with 11TB of mp3 files... you should get one too. :angel:

I would say since I'm a product of the 80s - oh the days in high school from 80-85... that's the type of music I latch onto first and foremost. Hell I just grabbed about 2GB of strictly 80's tunes the other day just to listen.

As for radio, while I don't listen to any stations directly here in Las Vegas (don't own a radio), I did used to listen to one of the "MIX 94.1" kind of stations that played a lot of pop alternative stuff (Vertical Horizon, etc, that sort of music) and enjoyed it. Nowadays if I want to listen to "radio" I fire up the stream from FM99 back home in Norfolk, VA and enjoy it here while I'm at the laptop or doing stuff in the apartment.

My tastes are pretty wide open: as long as it's got a good beat and I can understand the lyrics, I'm pretty cool with it. Some jazz I like, not the super slow "let's make love" kind of stuff, but again, if it's got a nice beat - uptempo style - then I'm game.

As for if music is getting worse or not, I think it's not only a matter of personal taste but the artists themselves. Some artist(s) like Coldplay just make some good music, period. Then people like Britney Spears comes along and makes catchy pop jingles that you can't seem to get away from because they're (i.e. ClearChannel and the like) are shoving it down our throats.

My fave band of all time is Rush, and I have many reasons for it. Most people either like them or they don't, and I'll admit Geddy Lee certainly isn't the best singer that's ever lived, but it's the whole package that works for me: the musicianship, the lyrics, the blending of the artists that makes it my favorite band.

Some stuff kicks out there, but most of it is useless dreck I'd pass on when I hear it. I stick with what I know and like: 80's music with some occassional 90's stuff thrown in for good measure, with an ear out for new stuff that gets recommended to me by friends - in other words, I'm like most people in that respect.

bb

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are alot of good comments on this board. I especially agree with what MAC said about corporates trying to influence what we see and here. That's a serious issue that needs attention. But we can control what we see and hear.

I agree that today's music sucks. I am 34 and grew up obsessed with music and eventually became a musician and recording engineer. Music has evolved sometimes in good ways and then bad but it's been a steady curve. At least up until the 90s. That's when the curve took a big nosedive in quality of material and originality. The 90s was a time when the corporates took creative control of music away from musicians and gave it to what i call the "sales puppets" of the industry. This created an exploitative type of control in order to make music that sells more than it provides. That's why so many songs of the 90s will be forgotten completely. The new millenium is the eventual result of the exploitation. A bunch of immoral souls have basically voluntarily became %$@#!* slaves of the industry and are ready to provide ANY kind of service necessary to hold a career. Music used to stand for something great and it still does except the industry has turned it's back on those who won't sellout. So really REAL music is in limbo but I see a good trend that will eventually straighten things out. More people are becoming aware of how today's music compares to yeaterdays. THERE IS NO COMPARISON!! That's why VH1 is doing what theyre doing and why radio has more and more flashback stations. When a song came on you knew exactly who it was the first second! That doesnt exist with todays garbage. "Umm....who is that guy? He sounds like George Strait, Merle Haggard, George Jones all rolled up into one." The even bigger crime is that they are using the very same session musicians to play on ALL the albums which basically gives us one band to listen to. YUK!! DO you notice on the late shows how when a young rock band comes on? They all have their guitars hanging down and strum the hell out the strings in the same fashion GREEN DAY does and make you wanna puke cause you feel like your watching numerous knockoffs of the same act? YUK!! These kids don't know anything. When I was 16 in high school I was the only kid who could play guitar. I entered the talent show and burned up Van Halen solos. Kids nowadays dont know %$@#!* anymore. It's a shame they dont have the opportunity to have guitar idols like we did and have the chance to dream about being better than the rest. It's a musically sewage pool out there today. All I can say is dont buy todays music and it will die. Keep sharing the good stuff online and evetually the corporates will die along with it and all that will be left is what WE want!! ROCK ON.

The problem is that todays youth sucks. (I know this first hand)... They like this {censored}... They are the ones driving the market... This music won't die anytime soon.

This isn't 100% true tho... I know alot of people my age who listen to Led Zep., Pink Floyd, Queen, Van Halen, and The Rolling Stones (to name a few). The problem is that these bands are not making music anymore and my generation needs music to listen to... we need music from our time.

Again not all of todays music is like that... There is still bands making their own sound... You just need to look for some bands that have yet to "sell out".

I would highly recomend you listen to "Everything Goes Numb" by "Streetlight Manifesto"

Check out New Zealand music there is some bloody good music being made here.

Check out

Green Room CDs

Evermore - Dreams

The Datsuns

Blind Spot - Nil by mouth

Shihad

Pitch Black

There will always be bad (music you hate) and good music (music you like).

We all like different things if we didn't nothing new would be made.

All there is to it really.