Music aint what it used to be

30 posts in this topic

I just got my iPod Shuffle yesterday. I loaded it with about 20 to 30 tracks of my favourite songs. After listening to the iPod for about 3 hours I realized I am outta good music! Thats why I thought this topic needs to be started.

I find myself listening to Aerosmith, Bon Jovi tracks from the 80s again and again. The pop music that Bryan Adams used to create cant be heard in todays tracks. There was a resurgence of great pop music with the likes of Robbie Williams, Savage Garden, Boy Zone. But either due to the spliting of the bands or ego problems the same kind of distinctive quality of music you would expect is no where to be found. Not only in the pop genre. In other genres aswell like Rock you cant find the same quality. For example all the contestants in the latest Rockstars:Super Nova reality show take up old, golden songs rather than really new so called rock songs.

The only genre where I still find good music being produced is Alternative Rock. With Maroon 5 and other groups you might expect some good music. But where did Creed go after giving us With Arms Wide Open?

There are of course expection to this for example John Mayors album Room For Squares, almost every song was good. But that was in 2001.

Also one problem is, where to discover great music? As a child I used to watch MTV to get the latest on the music scene and to find some really good artists. Now as an adult I dont have the luxury of watching VH1 or anyother channel for long durations. Also the radio isnt what it used to be. I am only 21 by the way. lol. I do find internet radio as a really good source but then again I have to sit next to my computer. Where can I discover great artists these days then?

We all have our iPod which reproduce great music with excellent quality but have we run out of great music?

You can say I might be biased based on my musical taste and I am not dening that. Thats why I invite you to give your unique prospective based on the music you like on how do you find it today and your plans to cope with it

Quite simply, music is even better. You're just not hearing it. The airwaves and cable are controlled by very few companies that fiercely control what you hear.

Clearchannel controls most of the radio world:

Here's a list of their channels

http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/clearchannel.asp

All of the music television channels are owned by the same company (which also owns Blockbuster, radio stations, and newspapers.) This company is called Viacom.

Tv-wise they own:

MTV

MTV2

mtvU

Nickelodeon

BET

Nick at Nite

TV Land

NOGGIN

VH1

Spike TV

CMT

Comedy Central

Showtime

The Movie Channel

Flix

Sundance Channel

(source: http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/viacom.asp)

It's kind of a conflict of interest to own the news, television, and radio, but that doesn't keep it from happening.

The same thing is happening in the newspaper world. Gannet is eating up all the local papers. As huge corporations homogenize what you see, read, or listen to, they maximize profits for their ventures. Ever wonder why you can't get a Simpsons season DVD at Blockbuster? Perhaps you want to know why local radio stations are recorded thousands of miles away and then played on a tape?

Why does music nowadays suck? It doesn't, but it's harder to find!

See, I think that modern music - even the most of the good stuff - sucks in comparison to the greats of the 60's and 70's. Maybe it's because Rock was newer then, but there just aren't any great bands like the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, etc.

It just seems like there's not much creativity any more. There are exceptions, but when it comes to good Rock, I'm not sure there is much... at least when compared to the greats.

(Thread moved to Pop Culture)

I love the 80's! Especially europop bands. I am originally from South America, where the 80's, believe it or not, were the most listened to music at least when I left my country 7 years ago. Unfortunately, and I'm not being prejudistic, just giving some information, here in the States, this is the kind of music related to the {censored} community, such as Eurasure, Pet Shop Boys and a-ha. I love Depeche Mode and INXS too. But like I said, it kinda sucks that they stereotype people for the kind of music they listen to... I still like other genres such as trance and the likes, but like I said, I LOVE the 80's. (I know, I sound like the VH1 show, LOL).

See, I think that modern music - even the most of the good stuff - sucks in comparison to the greats of the 60's and 70's. Maybe it's because Rock was newer then, but there just aren't any great bands like the Beatles, the Stones, Hendrix, etc.

It just seems like there's not much creativity any more. There are exceptions, but when it comes to good Rock, I'm not sure there is much... at least when compared to the greats.

(Thread moved to Pop Culture)

You are right that alot of new rock is utter {censored}! Bands like Puddle of Mud, Nickleback etc etc are terrible even some of the 80's hair bands had more talent than them. I wish there were bands like Skid Row around now who incidentally were not part of the hair metal scene! they were a big step above of them... Sebastian! what a singer! most of the rock singers around today dont have any vocal power and are pretty boring.... You have to look back to the alternative scene of the 90s to find decent singers, guys like Chris Cornel and Eddy Vedder etc On rockstar supernova the girls are all the best and the men suck! its cause they all sing the same low tones.

well, I think its just a sign of the times, I think some bands like Tool compare to the greats, personally my favorite is 90's music, a little behind my time, but I think rap sucks the big one, and scream-o is pretty annoying, but theres still good things to be found, I think part of the reason for the "lack of good music" is that theres simply too much choice today, everybody listens to something different, in the 60's and 70's there was far less choice in what was listened to, so a band that would have normally been a bit faded came to the forefront.

Personally, my favorites are:

Tool

Nine inch nails

The mars volta

Massive attack

Smashing pumpkins

Bloc party

I dont know if those are good, but I think theyre pretty damn good, Id compare them to the greats, but then again, ive never really been a big fan of the greats, I only say theyre good because everybody else does (beetles, etc). Oh also, im partial to david bowie heheh.

Also, I think in my entire life ive seen about 45 minutes of MTV, forcibly by somebody else, and thats something I can be proud of...

I have to agree that it is harder to find good music... but I wouldn't say music sucks now...

Most rock bands today just sound the same... Most of the modern music I listen to is Third Wave Ska... it seems to have its own sound... the only genra that is currently producing orignal music. It's a shame the genre is dying.

here are some of the bands I like... Download some of their songs... you might like them... (Most of them are Third Wave Ska... and the rest are more common and you should have heard of...)

Streetlight Manifesto, Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution, Catch 22, Less Than Jake, Five Iron Frenzy, Mad Caddies, Mustard Plug, Suicide Machines, Reel Big Fish, Barenaked Ladies, Swingin Utters, Nirvana, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones.

I was brought up in the 90's and the only good music i say is the old stuff (early 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's) i have heas of cd's. all the music today sucks pretty much apart from James Blunt :D , jokes, nah apart form The Knife, Artic Monkeys and a few other select bands. To me it doenst even sound like music it just sounds like DOOF DOOF to me.

Kiko... not all of today's music is like that. Really if you download some music from the modern bands I listed I'm sure you would like one or two of them.

a Recap of the modern bands I listed... download a few songs from a few of them.:

Streetlight Manifesto, Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution, Catch 22, Less Than Jake, Five Iron Frenzy, Mad Caddies, Mustard Plug, Suicide Machines, Reel Big Fish, Barenaked Ladies, Swingin Utters, The White Stripes.

well, I think its just a sign of the times, I think some bands like Tool compare to the greats, personally my favorite is 90's music, a little behind my time, but I think rap sucks the big one, and scream-o is pretty annoying, but theres still good things to be found, I think part of the reason for the "lack of good music" is that theres simply too much choice today, everybody listens to something different, in the 60's and 70's there was far less choice in what was listened to, so a band that would have normally been a bit faded came to the forefront.

Personally, my favorites are:

Tool

Nine inch nails

The mars volta

Massive attack

Smashing pumpkins

Bloc party

I dont know if those are good, but I think theyre pretty damn good, Id compare them to the greats, but then again, ive never really been a big fan of the greats, I only say theyre good because everybody else does (beetles, etc). Oh also, im partial to david bowie heheh.

Also, I think in my entire life ive seen about 45 minutes of MTV, forcibly by somebody else, and thats something I can be proud of...

i like most of that stuff and more, theres just alot more to chose from, use pandora.com to find more new band s that ull like...

max

Yeah, I don't listen to the radio anymore. It's gone to {censored}. The key is to find a place (website, magazine) that has or reviews music. That way, you can find good music without listening the to the generic reheated stuff on the radio.

Wait do people still listen to the radio? are there still radio stations? wow I must be out of the loop.

I still listen to the radio... and to Conroe Mac pandora is good because no comercials, it plays alot of stuff youve never heard of (instead of the top 5 charts over and over) and it plays bands musicially similar in style to what ever band you enter into it...

max

I've used that program, it's pretty cool. Sometimes I listen to latenight local public radio. They play all sorts of genres that I would never even think to listen to. It's nice to find a radio station that's eclectic, but it's also pretty unlikely.

the only music that you hear on the radio is the popular {censored} like "the veronicas"... none of the good meaningful stuff that actually contains talent ever makes it onto the radio.

try downloading these albums :

[alt-rock]

smashing pumpkins - all albums best song : disarm

radiohead - all albums best song : i can't choose lol

muse - origin of symmetry best song : bliss or citizen erased

muse - absolution best song : sing for absolution

muse - showbiz best song : muscle museum

tool - aenema best song : eulogy

[not as heavy]

feeder - pushing the senses best song : morning life

evermore - real life best song : real life

evermore - dreams best song : into the ocean (calling you)

coldplay - all albums best song : dunno

[classics]

pink floyd - dark side of the moon best song : money

led zeppelin - physical graffiti best song : kashmir

dire straits - love over gold best song : sultans of swing

U2 - all albums best song : city of blinding lights

heaps more i could have added like chilli peppers and placebo but just get those to get you started.

you'll be able to fill your ipod with stuff within a few days once you get into them. :censored2:

Blur

A Whisper In The Noise

The Decemberists

Thrice

Circa Survive

Saosin

Dredg

The Folk Implosion

Glassjaw

ISIS

Minus the Bear

Darkest Hour

As I Lay Dying

Modest Mouse

The Receiving End of Sirens

Refused

Sigur Ros

These Arms Are Snakes

Tiger Army

Unearth

These are some of the bands I enjoy.

Hm,

I think technical of course the music is better today. I also think there are a lot of good songs from small labels.

But I think there is a huge lack of creativity in the mainstream. Too many bad covers, some are good, but it is all about these "how can we make a killer-hookline that fits the mobile phone".

But be lucky if you are not living in germany. Our radiostations are like

<begin playlist>

Bryan Adams - f*cking Summer of 69

Joe Cocker - In The f*cking Air Tonight

Robbie Williams - f*cking Rock DJ

Tina Turner - Private f*cking Dancer

Mariah Carey - f*cking Butterfly

<do loop until ears are bleeding>

<end playlist>

I mean: what are these idiots supposed to do? Bore us to death? Dunno.

im gonna guess that not many of you here listen to country music but it has really declined. in fact, country music is dead. all you hear now is what I affectionately call "southern pop." its horrible. everynow and then kenny chesney or alan jackson will make a good song but otherwise its dead. and its a damn shame because country music had a son, and he named it rock and roll and music dont get any better than old country and early rock n roll. (Elvis, Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis etc.)

as far as rock goes, the popular stuff is ok though im not a big fan of today's radio. im still living in the late 90's and early 2000's listening to "rap metal" like Kid Rock (his newer stuff is good to and he is a really underrated artist) Limp Bizkit, P.O.D, and Rage Against the Machine etc. (btw, f*** linkin park)

pop = {censored}

rap has had a few good songs over the years, mostly between 1986-1996. overall, rap sucks ass. LET'S GO!!

I don't get why everyone hates pop. I'm open in my tastes. I like most stuff except country because it's just so farmer-ish (no-offence to anyone, BTW).

Why is pop so well hated? It isn't. If it were, people wouldn't listen to it.

So why don't many of you like it? I'm curious...

I can't even listen to most of the radio anymore. All the rock stations around me have switched over to playing hip-hop and other {censored}. I try to stick with some country, and rock that i've downloaded.

Some bands I'd recommned are (favorite song in the parentheses):

Jet (Put Your Money Where You Mouth Is)

Audioslave (Original Fire)

The Killers (When You Were Young)

Live (Lightning Crashes)

Collective Soul (How Do You Love)

Red Hot Chili Peppers (By The Way)

Train (All I Ever Wanted)]

Enjoy!!