• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Headroadie2004

Headroadie2004

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Howdy. I am trying to upgrade the processor in a G4 Gigabit machine that I have in order to run OSX 10.5. I need to update the firmware from 4.25F1 to 4.28 before I install the processor. I have been trying it with OS 9.2.2 installed on it.

Every time I launch it it comes up with a error "This version of the Power Mac G4 Firmware Updater is for use with specific Power Mac G4 Models only and will not run on this computer". I am wondering why it refuses to update because I have downloaded the firmware that is straight from Apples web site for my Machine.

Does anyone know what specific hardware requirements or OS version you need to make it update. I have tried to install 9.1 but I can not get any OS system below 9.2.1 to boot from the CD in order to install. I have a 160gb WD hard drive in it and 1.5 gb of ram. The current processor is a G4 733 MHz. Any help would be appreciated.

MacUser2525

MacUser2525

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Howdy. I am trying to upgrade the processor in a G4 Gigabit machine that I have in order to run OSX 10.5. I need to update the firmware from 4.25F1 to 4.28 before I install the processor. I have been trying it with OS 9.2.2 installed on it.

Every time I launch it it comes up with a error "This version of the Power Mac G4 Firmware Updater is for use with specific Power Mac G4 Models only and will not run on this computer". I am wondering why it refuses to update because I have downloaded the firmware that is straight from Apples web site for my Machine.

Does anyone know what specific hardware requirements or OS version you need to make it update. I have tried to install 9.1 but I can not get any OS system below 9.2.1 to boot from the CD in order to install. I have a 160gb WD hard drive in it and 1.5 gb of ram. The current processor is a G4 733 MHz. Any help would be appreciated.

Most of us are using the hackintosh here you may get better results in a place like macrumors.com. That said there is a way to install Leopard onto that speed of machine.

http://www.macupdate.../leopardassist)

Headroadie2004

Headroadie2004

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Most of us are using the hackintosh here you may get better results in a place like macrumors.com. That said there is a way to install Leopard onto that speed of machine.

http://www.macupdate.../leopardassist)

Sorry ignore my post. Apparently I have the models wrong and it doesn't need updating. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy