Updating firmware in G4 Gigabit

3 posts in this topic

Howdy. I am trying to upgrade the processor in a G4 Gigabit machine that I have in order to run OSX 10.5. I need to update the firmware from 4.25F1 to 4.28 before I install the processor. I have been trying it with OS 9.2.2 installed on it.

Every time I launch it it comes up with a error "This version of the Power Mac G4 Firmware Updater is for use with specific Power Mac G4 Models only and will not run on this computer". I am wondering why it refuses to update because I have downloaded the firmware that is straight from Apples web site for my Machine.

Does anyone know what specific hardware requirements or OS version you need to make it update. I have tried to install 9.1 but I can not get any OS system below 9.2.1 to boot from the CD in order to install. I have a 160gb WD hard drive in it and 1.5 gb of ram. The current processor is a G4 733 MHz. Any help would be appreciated.

Howdy. I am trying to upgrade the processor in a G4 Gigabit machine that I have in order to run OSX 10.5. I need to update the firmware from 4.25F1 to 4.28 before I install the processor. I have been trying it with OS 9.2.2 installed on it.

Every time I launch it it comes up with a error "This version of the Power Mac G4 Firmware Updater is for use with specific Power Mac G4 Models only and will not run on this computer". I am wondering why it refuses to update because I have downloaded the firmware that is straight from Apples web site for my Machine.

Does anyone know what specific hardware requirements or OS version you need to make it update. I have tried to install 9.1 but I can not get any OS system below 9.2.1 to boot from the CD in order to install. I have a 160gb WD hard drive in it and 1.5 gb of ram. The current processor is a G4 733 MHz. Any help would be appreciated.

Most of us are using the hackintosh here you may get better results in a place like macrumors.com. That said there is a way to install Leopard onto that speed of machine.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26562/leopardassist%29