Zydas is working on an x86 wireless driver

manifold_family

161 posts in this topic

Download the new driver and install it (see my previous reply in this topic for the location)...

Do NOT restart yet.

First you need to get the ProductID and VendorID as being listed by System Profiler: these values are in HEXadecimal but the driver needs these values in DECimal.

Start Applications - Calculator and switch to "Programmer" mode (View - Programmer):

- switch the calculator to HEX mode

- enter value for Product ID

- switch the calculator to DEC mode

- write down the decimal value for ProductID

- repeat the same steps for VendorID

Patching the driver:

=============

Use Finder to go to /System/Library/Extensions

Locate the "ZD1211Mac.kext" or "ZD1215Mac.kext": you need to select the one you need:

- ZD1211Mac.kext is for the (earlier) "ZD1211" chipset

- ZD1215Mac.kext is for the (later) "ZD1211 Rev. B" chipset

Right click on the kext and "Show Package Contents" - open up "Contents" - Drag the "Info.plist" to your Desktop to make a (writable) copy.

Double-click on the "Info.plist" on your desktop to open it (in TextEdit):

Now locate the lines below <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

You'll see that there are 15 keys:

<key>01</key>

<key>02</key>

<key>15</key>

These keys are for different branches of USB Wifi hardware but of course we only need 1 of these: the one WE are using so delete every key except the first one. This will result in:

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>01</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.ZyDAS.driver.ZD1211RevB</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>com_ZyDAS_driver_ZD1211RevB</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>IOUserClientClass</key>

<string>EthernetUserClient_ZD1211RevB</string>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>28764</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>1293</integer>

</dict>

</dict>

Now change the "idProduct" key with YOUR decimal Product ID:

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>28764</integer>

Now change the "idVendor" key with YOUR decimal Vendor ID:

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>1293</integer>

Save the changes in TextEdit and quit TextEdit.

Drag the "Info.plist" from your Desktop back to its original place (inside the kext).

When it's asking for Authentication: give proper userid and password.

The driver is now patched to your card IDs...

Clearing the kext cache:

================

Simple way is to use Finder and go to /System/Library

Now delete the files "Extensions.kextcache" and "Extensions.mkext" - Don't worry: these files are being recreated when you reboot Mac Os X

Fixing security of the kexts:

==================

- open up Terminal

- enter commands:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ZD1211Mac.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ZD1211Mac.kext

or

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ZD1215Mac.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ZD1215Mac.kext

depending on the chipset used in your WIFI USB stick

Quit Terminal

Disk Repair Permissions:

================

Good idea is to use Applications - Utilities - Disk Utilities to Repair Disk Permissions

Reboot

The WLAN application (installed by the driver installation) will open up automatically: make the changes to reflect your WIFI setup and continue: you will see that this will explain itself while working with it...

If you'd need assistance after this let me know :hysterical:

Take care,

Tek_No

omfg are you serious?!?! I bought this card a bit ago because alot of people said it worked. Turned out the ver 3000 only worked, and i bought the 4000. So i returned it, and got the $20 more Netgear WG311T wireless pci card (which works). UGH, o well.

I tried both the zd1211 and zd1215 kexts but neither of them worked (I added the ids and everything. It opened the utility but didn't find any networks. So I am completely baffled Thanks anyway tek_no!

Wait a minute: is the WLAN application showing your Belkin USB stick? Goto Set - Open Setup Window

What IDs did you enter into the driver's Info.plist?

Also try: start up a Terminal and enter:

kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/ZD1211Mac.kext

What output is this showing?

Take care,

Tek_No

Both kexts allowed me to use the utility and showed the stick. But neither one saw any networks. I entered 4625 for the pid (0x1211) and 2766 for the vendor id (0x0ace). I don't know why it didn't work but whatever...

Both kexts allowed me to use the utility and showed the stick. But neither one saw any networks. I entered 4625 for the pid (0x1211) and 2766 for the vendor id (0x0ace). I don't know why it didn't work but whatever...

I have a Hawking HWU54G also but I won't be able to try Zydas' latest driver as I'm out of the country for a few months. I got excited once I saw Tek_No get the new driver to work as I thought we might be able to get this HWU54G working in osx86 also.

FYI: http://zd1211.ath.cx/ says our HWU54G is a ZD1211 device (ie, NOT ZD1211B like Tek_No's).

Double check your Product & Vendor ID's and hopefully we can get it to work.

Can you show me a screenshot from the WLAN utility?

Also start Terminal and enter command:

ifconfig

Paste the results in this topic...

If you have both build-in ethernet and wifi you will see "en0" and "en1" in there

The idea is to add the new "network port" ("en1") in "System Preferences - Network"...

Take care,

Tek_No

i used this driver for my AWLL3025. it reads the wireless card and the networks, but sets it as an ethernet connection. i cant get the settings right on the tool to connect to the internet.

That's 100% normal: the WIFI connection is being listed as a Ethernet connection: if you already had a "wired" buildin Ethernet connection (port) that is gonna be "en0"... After installing the Zydas drivers you will have a NEW ethernet port: "en1"

The whole idea is to ADD this port to System Preferences - Network. After adding the new port to Network configure the connection type "DHCP automatically" etc... This will not work straigth away.

Then go to the WLAN utility again and configure your WIFI setup in there: first check your Wifi Router on how you setup your environment (good idea is to start with an "Open Network", without WEP, Mac Address Filtering, etc...) Also try to switching between the "Ad-Hoc" settings, etc...

This should work :(

Take care,

Tek_No

Just wanted to report that my Airlink101 (AWLL3026) with Zydas 1211 chipset worked perfectly just after installing the driver (10.4 version) and rebooting (didn´t need to do anything else).

Now I just have to make my ACL880 sound through the speakers (not the headphones, wich it actually does), and somehow manage to make my ATI Mobility Radeon x300 work in 1280x800 mode... ;) but having wireless internet in my Fujitsu-SiemensTOSH is just so sweet!!!

Just wanted to report that my Airlink101 (AWLL3026) with Zydas 1211 chipset worked perfectly just after installing the driver (10.4 version) and rebooting (didn´t need to do anything else).

Now I just have to make my ACL880 sound through the speakers (not the headphones, wich it actually does), and somehow manage to make my ATI Mobility Radeon x300 work in 1280x800 mode... :) but having wireless internet in my Fujitsu-SiemensTOSH is just so sweet!!!

That's because the Product and Vendor IDs for your kind of Wifi stick are already in the driver by default...

Good to hear it's working for you as well :)

Take care,

Tek_No

Now the only thing left is to have Wlan run as an invisable service. I have enough icons on the dock :smoke: And according to MacUpdate, there are so much more devices supported by this driver. I'mglad I didn't chunk this stick and buy a 50$ one :D

I followed Tek-no instructions and installed the zydas drivers for my Airlink AWLL3025 usb wireless adapater. Zydas website says my drivers are the zd1211 version:

http://zd1211.ath.cx/

I rebooted and the airlink shows up in System Profiler and in the Network System Preferences, also I get the Zydas network setup window at startup. The problem is I don't see any networks when I know there is at least three networks (neighbors) plus mine. Below are some screenshots:

grab0et.jpg

grab21js.jpg

grab35dn.jpg

Below is what I get after I type ifconfig in the Terminal:

Last login: Sun Jun  4 01:05:51 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
tigre:~ alyssa$ ifconfig
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet6 fe80::211:a3ff:fe00:8396%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4 
	inet 169.254.49.39 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 169.254.255.255
	ether 00:11:a3:00:38:96 
	media: <unknown type> status: active
	supported media: none manual autoselect DS1 <half-duplex> DS1 <full-duplex> DS2 <half-duplex> DS2 <full-duplex> DS5 <half-duplex> DS5 <full-duplex> DS11 <half-duplex> DS11 <full-duplex>
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:13:46:92:d2:ee 
	media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
	supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex>
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
	lladdr 00:e0:18:00:00:23:05:f1 
	media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
	supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
fw1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
	lladdr 00:60:1d:00:14:70:00:35 
	media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
	supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
tigre:~ alyssa$

When I try switching to ad-hoc in zydas setup window I do get a status change with bars but no networks showup. Screenshot coming up

What am I supposed to do?

Hey alyssa, I was having the exact same problem. I have it semi-solved. I manually configured my network (entered the ssid and encryption code, saved the profile etc.) and gave up. But when I rebooted I was shocked to see that it was connected even though it still couldn't detect any networks itself. I opened safari and it pulled up the home page. Boy, was I excited. Give it a try and good luck!

EDIT: It seems my success was short lived. It only happened once and now I'm left with that blank screen that you get. :( Hope I figure it out.

EDIT again: It worked again, I used safari to try to download firefox, and while downloading, the whole computer froze. I restarted and the hard drive had been hopelessly corrupted and wouldn't boot. Now I have to reinstall. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh my god! i'm sorry to hear that happened to you sambo60.

do you think it had anything to do with the driver you installed?

i really do appreciate your feedback, thank you so very much.

Not sure about your AWLL3025 usb wireless adapater: in the WLAN utility my adapter is being listed as:

Belkin USB 2.0 WLAN

So it could be OK that yours is being listed as "ZYDAS USB 2.0 WLAN" and not something like "AirLink USB 2.0 WLAN"... I cannot verify this from here...

What you have in "Network" System Preferences is something I had in the beginning as well: the adapter is using its own build-in IP address and not one taken from the DHCP server (on the router).

Try entering a VALID ip address and subnet mask for your wifi adapter by selecting "MANUALLY" in Network.

Then switch back to the WLAN utility and click on the "Change" button in "Current Network Information": then switch to "Ad-Hoc" Network Type and select the proper Wifi Channel (as being configured on your router) and "Open System" for Authentication...

First try with a MINIMUM of security: no WEP, WPA, Mac Address filtering, etc...

Switch back to Network in System Preferences and change to DHCP again...

After this: go back to WLAN utility and select "InfraStructure" for Network Type...

Does all this get you any further?

Take care,

Tek_No

Thank you Tek-no

Yes mine is being listed as ZyDAS USB2.0 WLAN.

I did as you sugested and no luck.

I went into network settings and changed from DHCP to Manual:

Entered my IP and Subnet Mask.

Do I enter anything for Router on this same window?

I then switched to WAN utility and changed to AD-Hoc and selected the proper WiFi channel (11). Authentication is set to Open.

Went back to Network in System Preferences and switched DHCP.

(I still get the adapter's built in IP)

Went back to WAN Utility and changed Network type to InfraStructure.

No connection still

I'm not using WEP, WAP or MAC address filtering and SSID is visible.

Please don't give up on me. Is there anything else I can do?