PS/2 Mouse Support

zerograv

38 posts in this topic

Ok i'll try this again!!

I've been trying to install hazard snowleo 10.6.2 from usb and find that i have no PS2 mouse or keyboard support during install. I get to the language select screen but am unable to continue, my question: is there a way to add ps/2 mouse support to the distro so i can continue my installation, is there a distro that contains ps/2 support or am I forced to purchase USB? Or how about a PS/2 to USB dongle? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated and I thank you all for your time and effort into making this project a reality!

Ok i'll try this again!!

I've been trying to install hazard snowleo 10.6.2 from usb and find that i have no PS2 mouse or keyboard support during install. I get to the language select screen but am unable to continue, my question: is there a way to add ps/2 mouse support to the distro so i can continue my installation, is there a distro that contains ps/2 support or am I forced to purchase USB? Or how about a PS/2 to USB dongle? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated and I thank you all for your time and effort into making this project a reality!

In the long run you will be better served by using a USB keyboard and USB mouse because unlike USB PS/2 is not naturally supported by OS X............

It all depends on the Extensions.mkext cache file that the distro boots from......if the PS/2 keyboard and mouse support kexts are cached in the Extensions.mkext file that the DVD boots from, then the PS/2 kexts should be loaded......

However, I have always found it better to use a USB keyboard and USB mouse when installing OS X.........

In the long run you will be better served by using a USB keyboard and USB mouse because unlike USB PS/2 is not naturally supported by OS X............

It all depends on the Extensions.mkext cache file that the distro boots from......if the PS/2 keyboard and mouse support kexts are cached in the Extensions.mkext file that the DVD boots from, then the PS/2 kexts should be loaded......

However, I have always found it better to use a USB keyboard and USB mouse when installing OS X.........

Hey thanks! i'm going to try to get the ps/2 working for installation before purchasing a new keyboard and mouse because i'm trying to keep costs down a little. So basically i can add the kexts, alter my mkext file and they should load for install? perfect!

Well so far no luck. I tried the voodoo ps2 and it hasn't made any change. Am i wrong to assume that snow leo will recreate the extensions.mkext if a -f at startup? I feel like i'm really getting close to getting snow working which would be great considering i've been stuck on 10.5.2 for a while.

Any other kexts you might suggest, or maybe the best possible way to add them to the USB install?

Well so far no luck. I tried the voodoo ps2 and it hasn't made any change. Am i wrong to assume that snow leo will recreate the extensions.mkext if a -f at startup? I feel like i'm really getting close to getting snow working which would be great considering i've been stuck on 10.5.2 for a while.

Any other kexts you might suggest, or maybe the best possible way to add them to the USB install?

You may have to try the older Apple PS/2 kext.......

To add kexts to /System/Library/Extensions/:

To install kexts in /System/Library/Extensions, there are a number of ways:

1. The kext to be installed may be incorporated within a .pkg or .pkg installer......so just double-click on the installer........

2. Use Kext Helper b7........instructions given......

3. Manually using Terminal in OS X..........assuming the kext called Manual.kext is in a zipped folder.......

Step 1. Extract the zip file to the OS X Desktop......an icon named Manual.kext should appear on the Desktop

Step 2. Open Terminal...... its path is /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

Step 3. Type

sudo -s in Terminal and then your admin password following this......you should now be authorised as root and entered into a root shell with a prompt ending with the hash # symbol .......e.g. root# or bash-3.2#

Step 4 Type

sudo mv /Users/"Your account username"/Desktop/Manual.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

This should cause the icon named Manual.kext to disappear off the Desktop

Step 5. Type

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Manual.kext

Step 6. Type

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Manual.kext

Step 7. Type

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Step 8. Type

exit

to come out of the root shell and return to the normal user shell

Step 9. Reboot and hope it works

To recreate Extensions.mkext in Snow Leopard:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Thanks for all the help!

but this method is for installing kexts onto an already working install right?

i'm trying to get ps2 mouse function for my iatkos usb boot stick.

I'm currently on osx 10.5.2 trying to get Iatkos to boot off of a usb stick so i can install snowleo, but like i said my problem is i have no keyboard or mouse at the language select screen. kexthelper or .pkg only allow me to install onto my already functioning leopard install.

Thanks for all the help!

but this method is for installing kexts onto an already working install right?

i'm trying to get ps2 mouse function for my iatkos usb boot stick.

I'm currently on osx 10.5.2 trying to get Iatkos to boot off of a usb stick so i can install snowleo, but like i said my problem is i have no keyboard or mouse at the language select screen. kexthelper or .pkg only allow me to install onto my already functioning leopard install.

See my nForce RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE for Snow Leopard here......in Part C on how to set up a USB flash drive installer........you can use it as a basis for including the kexts you need in /Extra.........

yeah i know i can either use /extensions or extra/extensions, but do i have to delete the apple ps/2 kexts or do i have to repair permissions on the usb device? i'm basically going to try every ps2 kext i can find and see what the outcome will be. Its pretty much the only thing from holding me back at this point. What about my 10.5.2 leopard kext?

yeah i know i can either use /extensions or extra/extensions, but do i have to delete the apple ps/2 kexts or do i have to repair permissions on the usb device? i'm basically going to try every ps2 kext i can find and see what the outcome will be. Its pretty much the only thing from holding me back at this point. What about my 10.5.2 leopard kext?

In /Extra permissions do not need repairing but do in /S/L/E, hence my mentioning /Extra..........however, some kexts only work when in /S/L/E........others work in /Extra but with a sym link to /S/L/E.......

As long as you boot in 32bit mode , you should be OK try out different Leopard kexts.........

If you do not which to keep deleting kexts as you try them, just rename them from KEXT.kext to KEXT.kext.orig using Terminal and

sudo mv

command.....

i get this error 'apple ps2controller timed out on mouse input' with the appleps2 kext and with voodoo i no longer get the error but have the same results. I've tried in both S/L/E and Extra. I'm totally stumped, i get ps2 support all through the chameleon boot, but one the mac framework starts i have no keyboard or mouse.

well no luck with ps/2 yet. I noticed that in my kalyway disk the ps/2 controller is in S/L/E and on iatkos 10.6.3 it's in the extra/extensions folder. Might have something to do with it, but i think my main issue at this point seems to be permissions.

The Usb installer boots to the language select every time, but no matter what kext i use i can't get ps/2. I have ps/2 enabled in bios and when i boot verbose it says the kexts are loaded but it still wont work!!! This is so frustrating!!

well no luck with ps/2 yet. I noticed that in my kalyway disk the ps/2 controller is in S/L/E and on iatkos 10.6.3 it's in the extra/extensions folder. Might have something to do with it, but i think my main issue at this point seems to be permissions.

The Usb installer boots to the language select every time, but no matter what kext i use i can't get ps/2. I have ps/2 enabled in bios and when i boot verbose it says the kexts are loaded but it still wont work!!! This is so frustrating!!

Put the PS/2 kext in /S/L/E/...........repair Extensions ownership and permissions and re-create Extensions.mkext for /S/L/E/...........re-boot.........

sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755  /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo  kextcache -v 1 -t -m  /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext  /System/Library/Extensions/

Reboot with -v -f and then use Disk Utility to repair OS X permissions............

i thought snow leopard creates an extensions.mkext whenever the extensions folder is modified. And isn't booting with -f, just bypassing the mkext anyway?

i've tried your suggestion but this code:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

results in it listing every kext with an "invalid" after it, then it says unable to create extensions.mkext

It seems repairing the permissions has gotten me a bit further, one thing tho, i have to use my onboard USB now rather than a HUB

any ideas?

kextcache: kext /Volumes/Install/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTrackpad.kext is not valid

kextcache: resolving dependencies for kernel extensions with validation and authentication failures

can't create /Volumes/Install/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.cashes/Startup/Extensions.mkext.xTWO - No such file or directory

this is what i get in terminal after trying to rebuild the caches

1. i thought snow leopard creates an extensions.mkext whenever the extensions folder is modified. 2. And isn't booting with -f, just bypassing the mkext anyway?

i've tried your suggestion but this code:

results in it listing every kext with an "invalid" after it, then it says unable to create extensions.mkext

It seems repairing the permissions has gotten me a bit further, one thing tho, i have to use my onboard USB now rather than a HUB

any ideas?

3. kextcache: kext /Volumes/Install/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTrackpad.kext is not valid

kextcache: resolving dependencies for kernel extensions with validation and authentication failures

can't create /Volumes/Install/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.cashes/Startup/Extensions.mkext.xTWO - No such file or directory

this is what i get in terminal after trying to rebuild the caches

1. Yes, SL creates a new Extensions.mkext cache file when /S/L/E/ is modified, e.g. via

, or by manually deleting the Extensions.mkext cache file in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup......

2. -f does bypass the Extensions.mkext cache file

However, running

sudo  kextcache -v 1 -t -m  /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext  /System/Library/Extensions/

enables you to see what problems there may be with your kexts and hence Extensions.mkext cache file in terms of missing Info.plist files, dependencies, Dependency Resolution Failures, Personality CFBundleIdentifiers differing, etc.......

3. I have just run

and the Terminal message displayed was:

Created mkext archive /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext.

So, see if you can find another (fresh) AppleUSBTrackpad.kext to use.......it may be the cause of the failed kextcaching.......

ohh and i just noticed that if i boot my kalyway 10.5.2 install with the usb stick inserted (but booting from cd) it gives me the same ps/2 controller timeout error as when i try to boot from usb. Could this be a usb issue and not a ps/2 issue?

Post what you have listed for USB under System profiler and for your BIOS USB settings.......

Post what you have listed for USB under System profiler and for your BIOS USB settings.......

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Expansion Slot

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x4373

PCI Revision ID: 0x0000

PCI Vendor ID: 0x1002

Bus Number: 0x53

USB Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBOHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x4374

Bus Number: 0x13

USB Bus:

PCI Device ID: 0x4375

Bus Number: 0x33

USB Reader:

Version: 1.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer:

Product ID: 0x9360

Serial Number: 2004888

Vendor ID: 0x058f

USB BIOS

USB Legacy mode=auto

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x4373

Bus Number: 0x53

USB Bus:

PCI Device ID: 0x4374

Bus Number: 0x13

USB Bus:

PCI Device ID: 0x4375

Bus Number: 0x33

USB Reader:

Version: 1.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer:

Product ID: 0x9360

Serial Number: 2004888

Vendor ID: 0x058f

USB BIOS

USB Legacy mode=auto

Try with USB Reader removed and USB Legacy Mode [Disabled]

Also your DSDT.aml file may need modding to show USB Host Controller Location: Built in USB

well i've tried without the Usb Reader, ive tried without any usb Hubs and disabling legacy makes all usb to stop functioning. I even tried a ps/2 to USB adapter that I found lying around. I guess i'll try to mod the DSDT.aml file but damn it seems every solution i have tried just doesn't work (ive been doing alot of googling)

well i've tried without the Usb Reader, ive tried without any usb Hubs and disabling legacy makes all usb to stop functioning. I even tried a ps/2 to USB adapter that I found lying around. I guess i'll try to mod the DSDT.aml file but damn it seems every solution i have tried just doesn't work (ive been doing alot of googling)

How about trying a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse.....since disabling USB Legacy support stops all USB functioning.....?

well thats the problem, i'm trying to boot from a usb HDD so i kinda need to have usb support. I have tried to burn a few DL-DVD's but i can never get past the apple logo even when i burn at 1x. I figured that wasn't going to work so now ive been trying usb.

I have a ps/2 to usb (passive) adapter and while i have support in both bios and Chameleon, i don't have support at the install screen or my kalyway install. I have tried many variations of hardware setup including just ps/2 with usb legacy off. The ps/2 usb adapter with ps/2 off in bios. Ps/2 keyboard with a usb mouse (using the adapter.) At this point i'm reluctant to purchase a usb keyboard seeing as i can't seem to get anything working.

well thats the problem, i'm trying to boot from a usb HDD so i kinda need to have usb support. I have tried to burn a few DL-DVD's but i can never get past the apple logo even when i burn at 1x. I figured that wasn't going to work so now ive been trying usb.

I have a ps/2 to usb (passive) adapter and while i have support in both bios and Chameleon, i don't have support at the install screen or my kalyway install. I have tried many variations of hardware setup including just ps/2 with usb legacy off. The ps/2 usb adapter with ps/2 off in bios. Ps/2 keyboard with a usb mouse (using the adapter.) At this point i'm reluctant to purchase a usb keyboard seeing as i can't seem to get anything working.

BTW is your USB HDD partitioned as GPT or MBR.........also list you full system details in your signature.........

Ive tried MBR but get the same results. Right now i have it partitioned to Guid.

Base processor

Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz

Chipset

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (ive heard rumours that this may cause ps/2 issues, but i don't see why it would work for leopard)

Motherboard

Manufacturer: MSI

Motherboard Name: MS-7184

Ram

3GB PC 3200 DDR

Optical

TSSTCorp 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive IDE

HDD

Western Digital 150GB IDE