Snow Leopard 10.6.5 on HP Envy 17

ponty

20 posts in this topic

First off, let me tell you that I don't claim to be a pro at this by any means. I managed to get Snow Leopard 10.6.5 running on my HP Envy 17 after much trial and error--which probably wouldn't have taken so long if I really knew what I was doing.

However, I was determined to get MacOS running on my laptop--partly because if I could get it fully working on this machine, I would have one helluva Macbook Pro. This beautiful laptop even looks half-Mac :D

My HP Envy 17 is configured as such (HP Envy 17-1090ca -- Canadian Model):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz
  • Motherboard: HP 144D with Intel chipset (HM55)
  • Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5850 @ 1600x900x32, 1024MB [1002:68a1]
  • Hard Drives: 2 x Seagate 500GB with S.M.A.R.T., 16MB cache
  • Optical: HP DVDWBD TS-TB23L Blu-Ray DVD Player, DVD/CD Writer
  • Audio: Intel IDT High Definition Audio (Internal) [8086:3b56] / ATI High Definition Audio (HDMI) [1002:aa58]
  • Ethernet: Realtek RTL8111/8168B Gigabit LAN [10ec:8168]
  • WiFi: Broadcom 43224AG (a/b/g/n-draft) [14e4:4353]
  • Webcam: HP-USB
  • Touchpad: Synaptics PS2 Touchpad
  • USB: 3 ports (NEC USB3 (SS) [1033:0194] - 1 left / Intel USB2 [8086:3b3c] - 2 right)
  • Card Reader: Ricoh?
  • Bluetooth: Broadcom?
  • Other ports: eSATA, HDMI, Compact Video, Audio (mic/headphone) jacks

That said, I only really barely have it running but thought it's far enough along that I could help others get it working too, and hopefully inspire others to help us with getting more working.

Currently this is what I have working:

• Video: Vesa Framebuffer only, 1600x900x32
  • Audio: IDT Audio confirmed, ATI HDMI is untested
  • Network: Ethernet working
  • Webcam: Working
  • USB: 2 right ports only (I believe these are USB 2), the left USB SS (SuperSpeed) is USB 3 and not working
  • Touchpad: working
  • Blu-Ray: Tested working only reading DVD and CD
  • Card Reader: working
  • Bluetooth: working
  • Function Keys: audio, wifi/bluetooth, keyboard backlight

Here was my process to get things working thus far:

I installed Hazard's Snow Leopard. I believe this work also work with the vanilla installer as I did manage to get it installed once, but really wanted to have MacOS running on an MBR partition, which is why I chose Hazard. Note that the installer only recognized my first hard drive for some reason. diskUtil saw them both after the install though.

I selected in the Hazard installer to install the 10.6.2 update, the newer Chameleon bootloader, but not much else. I left out most of the "laptop" features, as they didn't work anyway, and some of the Voodoo kexts were causing Kernel Panics on boot up.

After that installation, MacOS booted up with everything working that I listed above except Audio.

Note: I had to boot in 32-bit mode (64-bit caused spontaneous reboot) .. these were my kernel parameters in Chameleon:

-v arch=i386 busratio=12 maxmem=4096 cpus=1

(I don't know if these are all necessary).

The IDT audio is the same (or similar) to some of the HP DVx laptops and I was able to find a working kext to get it working. Initially I was using the VoodooHDA from the Hazard installer, but it distorted the sound. After updating to the latest VoodooHDA though it worked well.

To get Snow Leopard updated from 10.6.2 to 10.6.5, I installed the combo updated, but before I clicked "restart" I re-copied (backed-up from /S/L/E) some of the default kexts from the Hazard installer (otherwise it would freeze after rebooting):

• AHCIPortInjector
  • AppleACPIPS2Nub
  • ApplePS2Controller
  • ATAPortInjector
  • Disabler
  • EvOreboot
  • Fakesmc
  • Intel82566MM
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
  • IOATAFamily
  • IOPCIFamily
  • LegacyJMB36xSATA
  • NullCPUPowerManagement
  • OpenHaltRestart
  • PlatformUUID
  • RealtekR1000SL
  • Sleepenabler

I'll admit that I probably didn't need all of those, but just wasn't sure what was going to keep MacOS booting up after the 10.6.5 upgrade.

I also modified my /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to include the above kernel parameters.

To get 1600x900x32 I also added the Graphics Mode key, so my plist file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=386 cpus=1 busratio=12 maxmem=4096</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1600x900x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

After rebooting again, Everything looked great!

Here is what I have verified as issues and not working:

• Graphics acceleration (QE/CI) for the Radeon HD 5850 (a real shame) .. I have tried Netkas' kexts with no luck .. perhaps using a BIOS ROM solution will work.
  • USB3 port on left side. I tried using a NEC USB3 kext that I found somewhere which just caused a Kernel Panic when I plugged anything in.
  • Broadcom Wifi .. it seems there may be a solution but I haven't been able to get it working.
  • Issue with OS freezing after inactivity .. no idea why.
  • CPU fan seems to run a little higher than it should.
  • Function Keys: screen brightness, help, web, fn-F4

Things outstanding to test:

• Blu-Ray reader, DVD/CD writer (currently only tested reading DVDs and CDs .. which works fine).
  • Sleeping
  • Bluetooth - I was able to pair with it, but didn't test functionality
  • ATI HDMI Audio/Video
  • External Audio jacks - headphone/mic
  • Internal Microphone
  • eSATA port
  • Condensed Video Port
  • External VGA Port

I hope this helps others out there that are attempting to get this running on their HP Envy 17 .. let me know if I can help any further! Also, any help getting other things working/tested would be greatly appreciated!

I am working on packing up some files to post here to help anyone interested in trying .. stay tuned.

Ponty

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about getting an Envy 17. Amazon has an incredible deal right now ($1247.99, no tax and free s&h).

It costs less than half what a comparable Macbook Pro costs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044XU4I...;pf_rd_i=507846

Is it worth getting one, or can I find a better deal on a more compatible system elsewhere?

I hope this helps others out there that are attempting to get this running on their HP Envy 17 .. let me know if I can help any further! Also, any help getting other things working/tested would be greatly appreciated!

You sir, are one of a kind, I can't quite help you out because I still need my current windows set up for music production, but i need this bad boy with Snow Leapord so i can get Logic 9. Please do update this post, I will be listening.

I am working on packing up some files to post here to help anyone interested in trying .. stay tuned.

I'm keeping this thread bookmarked. I haven't purchased one yet - I'll be using my tax refund for this.

So far this seems to be the best deal going - http://www.amazon.com/HP-17-1181NR-17-Inch...5129&sr=8-2

Only $1232.39, no tax and free s&h.

Can I get a similar deal on a more compatible notebook?

Ive heard the jump from Leopard to Snow Leopard isnt all that impressive, but Im actually running 10.4.11 Tiger at the moment. How much more expensive would it be for me to upgrade, and how different would it be? Anyone?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the post; I've been trying to get SL on my Envy 17-1050ea (UK) for a while without success.

Unfortunately I'm getting kernel panics on boot complaining about "Unable to find a drvier for platform AHCI" after the 10.6.5 combo patch.

So I went through this install procedure:

- Installed to black HDD using the Hazard 10.6.0 SSE2/SSE3 patched install disk. Selecting to install 10.6.2 combo update and Chameleon RC3 bootloader (everything else unticked). (Had to use arch=i386 cpus=1 busratio=12 in bootloader as previously described)

- On reboot it got stuck on the transfer files from timecapsule/elsewhere so I added "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" in the boot loader to force OSX to skip past the setup wizard. After that I went into System Preferences/Accounts and set the administrator password. Then after that I changed to "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32" so it booted at the displays native resolution.

At this point the OS is working (albeit the WIFI/LAN doesnt work, no gfx acceleration and various devices dont appear - as previously mentioned in Pontys post).

- I then install the 10.6.5 combo update (have also tried the 10.6.6 combo), re copied the kexts Ponty mentioned (fixed disk permissions and rebuilt kext caches (using Kext Utility 2.3.2) as just copying caused "invalid kexts errors to appear) and clicked Restart

Now the OS doesn't boot at all; have tried using -s and -x switches on boot loader to force to safe mode etc but every time I get the kernel panic above and the system halts.

Unfortunately the BIOS on this laptop is very limited so am unable to make any of the changes to do with AHCI/S3 etc that other posts talk about in regard to the AHCI panic problem.

Does any one have any ideas?

Many Thanks

Simmo

• 2 months later...

I'm still working on mine ... I still have Snow Leopard running on my Envy 17--now at the latest patch release (10.6.7) with everything still working as before.

Simmo .. what is the kernel panic error that you're getting?

I have been tinkering with video kexts and settings and think I got somewhat close (this would be the biggest 'win' for me), but no luck yet. I will make another post soon with updates on what I have working and perhaps how I did it.

Take care,

Ponty

any further improvements on this system? I'm considering trying on a new sandy bridge version of the Envy 17 and hazard's 10.6.6i install

You sir, are one of a kind, I can't quite help you out because I still need my current windows set up for music production, but i need this bad boy with Snow Leapord so i can get Logic 9. Please do update this post, I will be listening.

I am actually TRIPPLE booting my Envy 17 with Windows 7, Kubuntu Linux 10.10, and Snow Leopard 10.6.7

:)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I just got an HP Envy 17 1181nr and I really have my heart set on setting it up as a hackintosh. I am quite literate when it comes to computers overall however when it comes to hackintosh's i'm a complete noob. I'm hoping one of you guys might be able to point me in the direction of a decent starter guide, or something similar so that I may use the information in this thread to get my MacEnvy going. appreciate it ;)

• 3 months later...

Hello all...

I'm about to post a new topic on asking on how to get ANY hackintoshes to run on my Envy 17... Luckily I searched the forum first and found this thread... Else I would've been yelled and probably cursed by others... Ehehehe :P

Anyway, congrats to ponty on getting the Hazard's SL to run on ur Envy... I'm actually a noob in this hackintosh thingy... But I've gone through a lot of things on getting SL to run on my Envy's (try and error)... Just want to share some of my experiences and would like to get some answers from all hackintoshes gurus :thumbsup_anim:

First of all, my Envy's specs are similar to what ponty has... Except that my HDD is 2TB (2 x 1TB)... Well I don't think that different would've different effect(s) rite... And I'm installing SL on external IDE HDD connected to USB2.0 port (on the left side)...

The first one I've tried installing is iATKOS S3 (v1 & v2)... It got SL 10.6.3 on it... What I did :

1) Boot-up from CD-ROM (Press F9 at start-up & choose Internal CD-ROM/DVD-ROM... You guys should know better rite... Ehehehe...)

2) Start the installer from DVD (press F8 before the times out...) with busratio=20

3) Go to Utilities -> Disk Utility

4) Format the HDD with Mac OS Extended Journaled, click Options and choose Master Boot Record

5) Close Disk Utility and proceed with the installation

6) Click customized

7) For me, I chose only Chameleon Bootloader RC5 and leave others as it is

8) Let the installer finishes installing

9) Reboot

10) Boot-up from the new OS (in my case, I'm using external HDD... So I've to press F9 bla bla bla...)

11) Type in cpus=1 busratio=20... You can include -v to see where you get stuck...

12) If you managed to pass the Apple logo, you will see the registration page, creating user bla bla bla and lastly the desktop

My problem is when I've updated my new SL to 10.6.8 (using updated combo), I couldn't get my SL to reboot... Couldn't get the desktop... Probably I should replace all the /S/L/E with the first one I had before clicking the restart... Ehehehe...

Secondly, I've tried the Hazard's SL installation as well... 10.6.6i version... Here what I did :

1) Boot-up from CD-ROM

2) Start the installer with cpus=1 busratio=20

3) Do all the things from 3) to 6) as above

4) I chose Chameleon Bootloader RC5, Chameleon option -> Graphics Enabler, ATY_Init_4xxx_5xxx_6xxx, Evospeed & EvoEnabler. Just a minimum kexts.

5) Installation runs as usual and finishes successfully

6) Reboot with -v cpus=1 busratio=20

7) Got until mounting NTFS drives (SYSTEM, OS, DATA, RECOVERY)

8) And finally got a funny screen (that's what i would called it...)

Any ideas from others..?? Or from any gurus out there..?? Any other SL version that I should try..?? Ehehehe :unsure:

BTW, I actually want to install Lion onto another partition of my external HDD... So I need an SL with at least 10.6.6 to get the Lion 10.7 installer get running ;)

• 2 weeks later...

@HaCkErz

You don't need SL 10.6.6 running to get Lion. Follow MaLd0n's thread on how to make a bootable Lion USB.

Anyway, Why did you install OS X to an external hard disk? I'm curious, it is because when you boot the OS X Installation, your internal hard disk is not detected?

I have an Envy 15 1150 and i've successfully gotten OS X 10.7.1 Lion on my Envy with Full Graphics Acceleration and Native Power management. Graphics still has some quirks but i'm sure it can be sorted out. At the moment, i'm trying to get Audio working via AppleHDA instead of VoodooHDA as that causes Kernel Panics sometimes. Do reply. :wacko:

@Komano

I've tried following the MaLdOn's guide in making a bootable Lion USB... But I'm not sure which part that I'm missing (or probably not mentioned in the guide) and stucked at the part where you have to "Copy the folder Packages from Mac OS X Install ESD to the folder System/Installation on the USB drive" because I got a warning saying that there is not enough space on the destination (the thumbdrive)... Tried on a partition of my HDD as well (8GB in size) but no luck... :(

Maybe because of I've got a different installer file which I've downloaded as a dmg file called Mac_OSX***GM_Build***.dmg (or something like that, not InstallESD.dmg) but when I mounted the image, I got Mac OSX Install ESD drive... So I think it should be the same rite... ;)

I didn't install the OSX onto the internal HDD because :

1. I don't want to do anything to them... Don't want to messed up the original factory setting on it (Win 7, Restore Partition, Data partition...) I'll probably install OSX on them when I've successfully running the Lion from the external HDD with full functionality :D

2. I want to try the eSATA port because from what I know is that when you're using eSATA port, the HDD will be seen as an internal HDD rite... The only problem is when I go into Boot Menu where you want to choose your startup device, it doesn't appear there... Only the internal HDD listed out... Well, I just use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cd and boot from it to overcame the problem :P

• 2 months later...

Ponty how were you able to put your envy into ahci mode. I have an envy 17 as well. I've looked in the bios and there are no options to switch from raid to ahci. I've been searching online for other ways to do it. Any help would be highly appreciated. Been working on getting Lion installed for awhile but always end up with a very enlarged screen. Seems like only a quarter of the full screen is shown. And part of a white box that keeps changing different pictures. I'm assuming that it is the "waiting for root device screen". Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this but to no avail. I also enable the raid UI and then restarted. I was then able to boot into a raid interface where it allows me to create/delete raid volume or reset disks to non-raid. Since I didn't want to mess with the hard drives I had in it. I pulled out my two already installed hdd's and replaced them with just one blank one. When I rebooted it it didn't give me the the option for the raid interface. I then installed onto my blank drive and enabled ahci in the registry, still nothing in bios to allow me to change the settings. I then tried to install Lion again but got to the same spot. I will post a picture later today of where I'm at.

Edit:

Slide of pictures of whats going on.

http://img847.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=img0455ji.jpg

Any suggestions are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I installed mountain lion 10.8.3 on HP ENVY 2199EL I can not go to the DVD player that I have to install kext? has the same pattern as that of the first post

(HP DVDWBD TS-TB23L Blu-Ray DVD Player, DVD / CD Writer)