[GUIDE] Foxconn nt330i Snow Leopard Guide nVidia ION Nettop

Breathless

45 posts in this topic

Good news! Glad you are making some progress!

The wireless should absolutely work as long as you put the included legacyatheros kext in the SLE folder and repaired permissions on it. IT ONLY WORKS ON 10.6.5, so if you don't have 10.6.5 installed, that is exactly what it will do. If you did install 10.6.5, maybe you just need to repair permissions again and reboot...

The way I did it was installed 10.6.3. Got the foxconn booting. Then installed the combo update for 10.6.5. I installed the kext over and repaired permissions and rebooted but its a no-go! ;) I am able to see the card, I am also able to see the wireless networks but I'm just not able to connect to them!

The way I did it was installed 10.6.3. Got the foxconn booting. Then installed the combo update for 10.6.5. I installed the kext over and repaired permissions and rebooted but its a no-go! :( I am able to see the card, I am also able to see the wireless networks but I'm just not able to connect to them!

Overwrite the kexts again, repair permissions and reboot. They may have gotten overwritten or messed up by the 10.6.5 update.

Is your lan cable plugged in? Unplug it...

I dont have the lan cable plugged in and I did overwrite all kexts, repaired permissions and rebooted. Nothing! I am going to try and reinstall Snow Leopard and update it using the combo update before installing it into the foxconn and see if that makes any difference.

One question though, are you guys connecting to a 802.11g router or 802.11n? What security is on the router? WPA/WPA2/WEP?

I dont have the lan cable plugged in and I did overwrite all kexts, repaired permissions and rebooted. Nothing! I am going to try and reinstall Snow Leopard and update it using the combo update before installing it into the foxconn and see if that makes any difference.

One question though, are you guys connecting to a 802.11g router or 802.11n? What security is on the router? WPA/WPA2/WEP?

mine is a G router with WEP security.

mine is a G router with WEP security.

Hey Guys,

Sorry I took off for a few days, Holiday and all. Just thought I would weigh in on the wireless thing, as my experience is that it will not connect to an "n" system, but it will to a "g". Also, I have read that it will work if you use WPA on an "n" instead of WEP. I have not tried that as I have not changed my system. Really should, better security and all.

Warren

Hey Guys,

Sorry I took off for a few days, Holiday and all. Just thought I would weigh in on the wireless thing, as my experience is that it will not connect to an "n" system, but it will to a "g". Also, I have read that it will work if you use WPA on an "n" instead of WEP. I have not tried that as I have not changed my system. Really should, better security and all.

Warren

Thanks for the info. I will update the guide with this as soon as i'm able.

Hey Guys,

Warren

I am using WPA on 'n' network (2.4Ghz). I tried all configurations including opening up my network (no encryption at all) and yet it did not work!

I'm connected to the Internet!! :P So heres the catch. I needed to install 10.6.3 -> Combo Update 10.6.5 -> Install 10.5 kernel -> Copy kexts in /E /S/L/E -> repair permissions.

The other big catch is that the Atheros card WONT connect to any other network except a 802.11g with WEP or WITHOUT any encryption. I tried all odd combinations but it did not connect to anything other than g/WEP combo.

Edit: Forgot to add the benchmark results ;)

post-611272-1293509176_thumb.png

I'm connected to the Internet!! :D So heres the catch. I needed to install 10.6.3 -> Combo Update 10.6.5 -> Install 10.5 kernel -> Copy kexts in /E /S/L/E -> repair permissions.

The other big catch is that the Atheros card WONT connect to any other network except a 802.11g with WEP or WITHOUT any encryption. I tried all odd combinations but it did not connect to anything other than g/WEP combo.

Edit: Forgot to add the benchmark results ;)

Glad you got everything up and running! Colin Powell sends his congradulations

Good news! I was able to get everything working EXCEPT the wireless =( The gotcha for the initial install process was most likely that I was using Leopard 10.5.8 instead of Snow Leopard (10.6.5). So its important that we follow this entire installation process on atleast 10.6.3 and ideally 10.6.5.

For the wireless problem, I am able to see my wireless network. I am able to select it and enter my password BUT it doesn't connect. It immediately gives an error which says "Connection timeout". Its pretty irritating that I can see the wireless networks but cannot connect to them. Any ideas?

I had the same issue - "Connection Timeout" when trying to connect to my network. I am using WPA-2, on a mixed G/N network. I connected an amplified antenna to the nt330i, and I have no problem connecting now...

Can anyone comment on the performance? I got a 50 dollar gift certificate for newegg and I was thinking about getting this and using it as a HTPC as a Hackintosh...The other route is I could update my gaming PC with a relatively cheap quad core...Is this barebones system able to reasonably run Mac OS and do HDMI output with it? I know it won't be an awesome Mac experience (I'm used to Macbook Pro)...but is it passable as for TV?

Can anyone comment on the performance? I got a 50 dollar gift certificate for newegg and I was thinking about getting this and using it as a HTPC as a Hackintosh...The other route is I could update my gaming PC with a relatively cheap quad core...Is this barebones system able to reasonably run Mac OS and do HDMI output with it? I know it won't be an awesome Mac experience (I'm used to Macbook Pro)...but is it passable as for TV?

I can't comment on it as a TV, but I can certainly say that "it is a reasonable Mac OS experience", especially if you have 4Gb's ram like I do AND A FAST 2.5" Hard drive. The hard drive makes all the difference. Either a drive like this:

http://techpowerup.com/137759/WD-Announces...Hard-Drive.html

Or a SSD, and you are all set.

I am using mine for internet and Netflix on a 37" LCD TV via HDMI - no issues so far. Only 2gb ram, but using an SSD...

the fan on this thing is KILLING me. does anyone have any idea what to do about it?? is there a fan controller i could install. i dont mind the heat spikes just need a way to turn down the crazy fan.

Be careful, it gets a little toasty in there, which is probably why they have it like that. You could do some hackery with a Zalman Fanmate 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118217

• 1 month later...

Breathless, good afternoon! I am sorry for bad English, it not a native language for me:-)))

I ask you to help me: please, send me the report of devices on Foxconn NT330, make it in Windows 7 in program EVEREST.

Also I ask you to send me a file acpi_dsdt.bin, make in the same program (EVEREST)

Probably, I will manage to solve a shutdown problem, my friend a good expert-programmer.

Thanks!

The answer send please in my personal messages.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...