[GUIDE] Foxconn nt330i Snow Leopard Guide nVidia ION Nettop

Breathless

45 posts in this topic

This Is The Official

Foxconn nt330i Snow Leopard Guide

(Colin Powell Approved)

powell_fo_shizzle1-1.jpg

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS AND WILL BE UPDATED FREQUENTLY

I tried to keep this guide as clear and simple as possible. It really is pretty easy. I tried to make it so that you do not have to navigate away from this page in order to have everything that you need at your disposal - though links to other threads are given as well where applicable. This guide very well may work for other ION based systems as well. If you help us figure something out you will get full credit for doing so.

Important Specs:

Intel Atom Dual Core 330, FSB 533 1.60GHZ

nVidia ION GPU

Realtek ALC888S Audio

Atheros AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet

Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)

What Works:

-10.6.3 -

-10.6.4 -

-10.6.5 -

--Full Graphics Support (QE CI)

-Audio

With attached AppleHDA.kext

**UPDATE: HDAEnabler is no longer needed. Copy and paste the following code into terminal, repair permissions, and reboot!

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

-Onboard Ethernet -

(Special Thanks to "thecandle" for helping develop the driver for this!)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1343&st=280

-Onboard Wifi -

(with LegacyAtheros.kext, BUT ONLY ON 10.6.5.... does not work with 10.6.3 or 10.6.4)

-USB

(you need to disable Legacy USB with Chameleon USBLegacyOff=Yes in your apple.boot.plist - you can still leave it on in the bios - This is already done in the EXTRA PACK that I have provided, so you don't need to do anything)

</div>

What Doesn't

(or needs improvement)

-Sleep -

not even with sleepenabler. The display goes off but the fan is still on, and it can't wake up.

-Shutdown -

Restart works fine, shutdown goes to a black screen and the system fan never turns off

-HDMI Audio -

Here are a few potential fixes for the no HDMI audio issue. It involves editing the DSDT:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1448833

And here is another potential fix that involves installing an older and experimental VoodooHDA Kext:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1496947

What you will need in order to follow this guide

8GB Flash Drive and or the 2.5" Sata drive that you will be installing in your Foxconn nt330i

THE LATEST BETA BIOS 943F1S01 (Attached) -

This enables change of SATA Mode operation to allow AHCI! Flashing is a necessity to allow booting from the SATA Drive!

Beta Bios Changes:

- "quiet boot" now shows a fullscreen AMI logo instead of text-only

- "Advanced Options" has a new option "SATA MODE" which can be switched to "SATA Mode" (which in fact is IDE compatibility mode), "RAID Mode" (which makes absolutely no sense for this box) and finally "AHCI Mode" (which is native SATA)

EASY FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS WITH NO FLOPPY DRIVE

(at your own risk of course):

Download "UNetbootin" from here: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/u...use_mirror=iweb

1) Use another computer. Take your handy flash drive and plug it in.

2) Format it if you want to FAT32 or NTFS. You may not have to do this (I didn't)

3) Add your beta bios files (which are in the attached zip file) to the flash drive

4) Open UNetbootin, Tick the "Distribution" bubble if it isn't already ticked, choose the FreeDos, then choose the correct USB Drive from the choices on the bottom. Make sure it has the proper USB drive selected!!!

5) Run it. It will want you to restart. Let it do it (though I'm not sure if its necessary)

6) Pop that puppy in your Foxconn 330i, press F11 to choose the boot menu in order to boot from the USB.

7) Once booted, type "B:\" to get to the root of your USB stick. Then type "afudos 943F1S01.ROM" without the quotes

8) It will take about 30 seconds to finish flashing. Once done, you can push control-alt-delete to restart the system

"EXTRA PACK"

(Attached soon) - This includes my whole "Extra" folder, including DSDT, kexts, com.apple.boot.plist, etc.

Everything that you need in one folder.... just drag and drop to your root partition.

NOTE:

The only required kexts besides the audio, wireless, and wired kexts are Fakesmc, and openhaltrestart (64-bit).... THATS IT! The Audio, Wireless and Wired kexts all go in S/L/E, while obvioulsy Fakesmc and openhaltrestart go in E/E.

NOTE:

The DSDT that is being used was not created for this specific system, but rather from another 330 ION Guide for a very similar Zotac Atom system, referenced here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...16#entry1330267

We need our own patched DSDT to be created. Maybe we can get MaLd0n to add this system to the DSDT Autopatcher program he made.

A MODIFIED KERNEL WITH ATOM SUPPORT

(All included in Extra Pack - 10.6.3, 10.6.4, 10.6.5 - Thanks "teateam")

Original Thread for Modded kernels with Atom support: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020

Snow Leopard DVD or Snow Leopard ISO

METHOD 1

From within an already functioning Mac/Hack

1) Show hidden files and folders. Download the "ShowAllFiles" app and do it through there, its the easiest way I've found to do it: http://gotoes.org/sales/ShowHiddenFilesMac...llFiles.app.zip

2) Pop in your Sata drive as an external into your Mac and format it with Disk Utility to HFS+ Journaled - GUID

3) Pop in your 10.6.3 (or whatever version) OSX Snow Leopard DVD, click on "system", "installation", "packages", and find OSInstall.mpkg. Open it up and start your installation to your Sata Drive

4) When the installation is complete, download the 10.6.5 combo update and run it on your SATA drive.

5) When complete, install the latest Chameleon (RC5 as of the time of this writing) :

Unofficial Chameleon RC5 Package Installer Thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Direct download to latest version:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=82108

No need to "Customize" your installation of RC5 when you run the installer. Your options will be overwritten shortly by my KEXT PACKAGE, but make sure you change the install location to your SATA Drive!

6) Overwrite Mach_Kernel in the root of your new install with the 10.6.5 atom compatible kext. You need to delete the original Mach_Kernel first before it will let you put your new Mach_Kernel in there. Make sure you rename "Mach_Kernel_Atom" to "Mach_Kernel" before you stick it in there.

7) Drop my Extra folder to the root of your drive, then drop the "extentions" folder into Kext Utility to repair permissions.

8) Drop the 4 kexts from the Kext Pack into the S/L/E folder, overwriting AppleHDA, and also repair permissions on that extentions folder.

9) Install your SATA drive into your Foxconn nt330i. Go into the bios and make sure LegacyUSB is enabled and that SATA Mode Operation is to AHCI.

10) Enjoy The Boot Sequence!

11) You will have internet and everything else on the first boot, but not sound. You need to repair permissions with kext utility on S/L/E again. Reboot, and you have sound. Do updates and have fun!

Method 2

If you don't have a separate working hack yet (untested)

1) Purchase Snow Leopard

2) Follow the instructions here to get a virtualized version of OSX Snow Leopard up and running on your windows based machine: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-o...dows-7-9140301/

3) Once you have that up and running, start from step 1 of Method 1.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Heres the lspci -nn output (Thanks BlueBag):

CODE

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Host Bridge [10de:0a82] (rev b1)

00:00.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller [10de:0a88] (rev b1)

00:03.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 LPC Bridge [10de:0aad] (rev b2)

00:03.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller [10de:0aa4] (rev b1)

00:03.2 SMBus [0c05]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SMBus [10de:0aa2] (rev b1)

00:03.3 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller [10de:0a89] (rev b1)

00:03.5 Co-processor [0b40]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Co-processor [10de:0aa3] (rev b1)

00:04.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller [10de:0aa5] (rev b1)

00:04.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller [10de:0aa6] (rev b1)

00:06.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller [10de:0aa7] (rev b1)

00:06.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller [10de:0aa9] (rev b1)

00:08.0 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio [10de:0ac0] (rev b1)

00:09.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Bridge [10de:0aab] (rev b1)

00:0b.0 SATA controller [0106]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 AHCI Controller [10de:0ab9] (rev b1)

00:0c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge [10de:0ac4] (rev b1)

00:10.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge [10de:0aa0] (rev b1)

00:15.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge [10de:0ac6] (rev b1)

00:16.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge [10de:0ac7] (rev b1)

00:17.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge [10de:0ac7] (rev b1)

00:18.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge [10de:0ac7] (rev b1)

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation ION VGA [10de:087d] (rev b1)

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:1063] (rev c0)

06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)

Link to 10.6.3 Combo Update: (TESTED - Works great)

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1017/...o10.6.3v1.1.dmg

Link to 10.6.4 Combo Update: (TESTED - Works great)

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1048/...Combo10.6.4.dmg

Link to 10.6.5 Combo Update: (TESTED - Works great)

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1324/...Combo10.6.5.dmg

TO DO NOTES TO SELF:

-Fix ALC888S in DSDT. It is currently recognized as ALC662 because of current DSDT and is the reason sound via HDMI won't work.

-Add Kernel Flags: debug=0x100 back to boot.plist to help diagnosing kernel panics if you removed it

KEXT PACK:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6rzsrz3nzhp6...ra%20Folder.zip

943F1S01.zip

post-523467-1292391363_thumb.jpg

Hello breathless, thanks for finishing off my build, as I have been working on mine for about 3 weeks. Had that Dsdt for a couple of weeks, but never had the guts to use it, didn't want to mess up my dual book with a reinstall. I actually lost about 10% on my xbench score, but having proper USB is worth it! Speaking of xbench, Open GL and user interface are waaay low compared to a mac mini with the 9400M, we really need to find a way to bump those up, (OpenGL Graphics Test 20.50 & User Interface Test 19.59) any thoughts, or are yours better?

Thanks again!

Hello breathless, thanks for finishing off my build, as I have been working on mine for about 3 weeks. Had that Dsdt for a couple of weeks, but never had the guts to use it, didn't want to mess up my dual book with a reinstall. I actually lost about 10% on my xbench score, but having proper USB is worth it! Speaking of xbench, Open GL and user interface are waaay low compared to a mac mini with the 9400M, we really need to find a way to bump those up, (OpenGL Graphics Test 20.50 & User Interface Test 19.59) any thoughts, or are yours better?

Thanks again!

I absolutely agree, the graphics performance is not where it needs to be. I haven't run those tests yet but I will when I get the chance and post back. If anyone has any ideas how we can bump up a graphics performance, feel free to chime in.

Here are my Xbench Results:

post-523467-1292390100_thumb.jpg

I absolutely agree, the graphics performance is not where it needs to be. I haven't run those tests yet but I will when I get the chance and post back. If anyone has any ideas how we can bump up a graphics performance, feel free to chime in.

Here are my Xbench Results:

Thanks to both of you for all the hard work on this. What are the figures like on a Mac Mini?

That would be great to see. Bowlman, you have any xbench results for Mac Mini?

Take a look at these results for comparison Open GL and User Interface are the killers..By the way, We should search the IONITX threads for results from the Zotac.macmini.html

So here is a Zotac to compare, Seems we aren't so bad!Zotac.html

CMOS layout difference between system ROM and ROM file detected

recommand using B/ C/ commads

then it gives option to accept recommands but the computer has frozen and none of the option work have to unplug machine to turn off

Ok for some reason I had to type this to get it to flash:

afudos 943F1S01.ROM /P /B /N /C

hope this helps anyone who may encounter same or similar problem.

Actually you should run DOSFLASH.BAT which came along with the BIOS update.

Thanks for this. I will add it to the guide as soon as I figure out why all of a sudden I am unable to make any edits to it without errors.

BTW I'm not able to even get to the Chameleon boot screen. My machine just hangs with a black screen with a cursor blinking on the top left corner. Any suggestions?

I think I know what the problem is... Try this first, then try my second suggestion if it doesn't work.

Take your SATA drive that is in your Foxconn and put it back in your Windows machine. Download "Partition Wizard" and install it in Windows. Open it up and you should find your OSX partition in there. Does it say that it is a logical or primary partition? If it says logical, then you need to make it primary. Does it say that it is active? If not, make it active as well. This should be your issue. Put your Sata drive back in your foxconn and boot.

If not, then do this:

Use your Windows machine (in Virtual OSX of course) to create a chameleon bootloader with the latest RC5 installation onto a USB flash drive (the installation version makes the USB drive bootable). After the install is finished, replace the /Extra folder with mine (with the DSDT and everything). Once all is copied over, make sure you repair permissions on your /Extra/Extensions folder. Bring that USB boot drive back to your Foxconn and make sure it is the first boot device. This should boot to the bootloader. Under the worst case scenerio, you may have to make the USB drive "active" manually using some of the steps in this guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFirQxxwfD8

It should.... let us know

Hi Breathless, I tried both methods. Its a no-go! :help: I also tried looking at the partition in Gparted (Ubuntu) and it seems that it is set as Primary & Active.

BTW, can you point me to the utility to fix permissions as well?

Hi Breathless, I tried both methods. Its a no-go! :D I also tried looking at the partition in Gparted (Ubuntu) and it seems that it is set as Primary & Active.

BTW, can you point me to the utility to fix permissions as well?

http://www.kexts.com/view/447-kext_utility...ow_leopard.html

You tried a USB flash drive? Did you install chameleon RC5 to it, replace the entire extra folder with my stuff, repair permissions on the usb drives /Extra/Extentions folder and then verify that it was active with diskutil?

Are you sure the bios is set to "AHCI"?

http://www.kexts.com/view/447-kext_utility...ow_leopard.html

You tried a USB flash drive? Did you install chameleon RC5 to it, replace the entire extra folder with my stuff, repair permissions on the usb drives /Extra/Extentions folder and then verify that it was active with diskutil?

Are you sure the bios is set to "AHCI"?

I verified that the bios is set to AHCI (Infact I reflashed the BIOS with the exact one that you had posted). Then I created a new GUID partition and formatted it using disk util. Installed 10.6.3, dropped the /Extras folder and 4 kexts in /S/L/E and also replaced the mach_kernel. I'll try to repair permissions using kext util (I was actually using disk util to repair permissions) But I should've atleast gotten to Chameleon's boot prompt, right?

I verified that the bios is set to AHCI (Infact I reflashed the BIOS with the exact one that you had posted). Then I created a new GUID partition and formatted it using disk util. Installed 10.6.3, dropped the /Extras folder and 4 kexts in /S/L/E and also replaced the mach_kernel. I'll try to repair permissions using kext util (I was actually using disk util to repair permissions) But I should've atleast gotten to Chameleon's boot prompt, right?

That is correct as long as your partition is set to "active". If you can't get it, PM me and i'll send you a working USB bootloader to get you started.

No luck =( Followed each and every step. Now I think its because I am doing this on a 10.5.8 system instead of 10.6.5.

Well that would of course make all the difference because that would need a different kernel... however chameleon should still pop up as long as your USB booter is active

Good news! I was able to get everything working EXCEPT the wireless =( The gotcha for the initial install process was most likely that I was using Leopard 10.5.8 instead of Snow Leopard (10.6.5). So its important that we follow this entire installation process on atleast 10.6.3 and ideally 10.6.5.

For the wireless problem, I am able to see my wireless network. I am able to select it and enter my password BUT it doesn't connect. It immediately gives an error which says "Connection timeout". Its pretty irritating that I can see the wireless networks but cannot connect to them. Any ideas?

Good news! I was able to get everything working EXCEPT the wireless =( The gotcha for the initial install process was most likely that I was using Leopard 10.5.8 instead of Snow Leopard (10.6.5). So its important that we follow this entire installation process on atleast 10.6.3 and ideally 10.6.5.

For the wireless problem, I am able to see my wireless network. I am able to select it and enter my password BUT it doesn't connect. It immediately gives an error which says "Connection timeout". Its pretty irritating that I can see the wireless networks but cannot connect to them. Any ideas?

Good news! Glad you are making some progress!

The wireless should absolutely work as long as you put the included legacyatheros kext in the SLE folder and repaired permissions on it. IT ONLY WORKS ON 10.6.5, so if you don't have 10.6.5 installed, that is exactly what it will do. If you did install 10.6.5, maybe you just need to repair permissions again and reboot...