Samsung QX410 not able to install 10.6.x

The village idiot

26 posts in this topic

There is another post about this laptop but the thread title doesn't really give anyone any reason to read it. I have a new Samsung QX410 which is an Intel i5-460m powered device. I have tried installing 10.6.3 with the iATKOS S3 V2 disk and get a kernel panic before it fully loads the installation environment. I also tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and a retail 10.6.3 disk and it also panics and stops before I get to the install environment. I've tried safe mode and single user mode for both methods and the result is always the same. Is there a way to output the verbose messages to a text file so I can let smarter people than me see exactly what the errors are? There are not many adjustments that can be made in the BIOS so it just might be that this computer is not Hackintosh compatible even though the output from the Windows tool suggests that it should mostly work, attached is a screen capture of the hardware ID tool. :)

post-255511-1291525127_thumb.jpg

Cheers Village idiot. I'm running into the exact same issues with the exact same laptop. I really wish there was more literature for us with macbook pro look alike qx410 check out my thread, we're literally at the same impasse. Let me know if you find a solution, and i'll do the same. Did we follow the same process?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8939

Cheers Village idiot. I'm running into the exact same issues with the exact same laptop. I really wish there was more literature for us with macbook pro look alike qx410 check out my thread, we're literally at the same impasse. Let me know if you find a solution, and i'll do the same. Did we follow the same process?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8939

Thanks for the thread... I've tried to register there several times and never get the activation email so I'll follow your thread since I can read them. It looks like it has something to do with the 460m version processor and might even be speed management, but after shutting off the speed boost in Bios to make it run at full speed I still get the same error. It would be great to have this working, but I'm almost to the point of giving up and just getting the Windows side where I need it to be.

But yes I have tried every Bios change I can, and every switch I can find using the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] which is Chameleon V2 RC5 just like your screen shots and after several minutes it quits working. I wish there was a way to output the verbose messages to a text file, that might help a lot. Even a complete list of switches might give me something to go on, I would probably sit and hammer away with the switches until all combinations that looked promising were exhausted.

So far I've used -x -v -f cpus=1 There are apparently several different kernels that can be launched but I'm not finding clear instructions on how to call them.

You might want to drop a link back to here or at least upload the system info to the TonyMac forum so they can see what hardware we are dealing with.

Thanks for the thread... I've tried to register there several times and never get the activation email so I'll follow your thread since I can read them. It looks like it has something to do with the 460m version processor and might even be speed management, but after shutting off the speed boost in Bios to make it run at full speed I still get the same error. It would be great to have this working, but I'm almost to the point of giving up and just getting the Windows side where I need it to be.

But yes I have tried every Bios change I can, and every switch I can find using the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] which is Chameleon V2 RC5 just like your screen shots and after several minutes it quits working. I wish there was a way to output the verbose messages to a text file, that might help a lot. Even a complete list of switches might give me something to go on, I would probably sit and hammer away with the switches until all combinations that looked promising were exhausted.

So far I've used -x -v -f cpus=1 There are apparently several different kernels that can be launched but I'm not finding clear instructions on how to call them.

You might want to drop a link back to here or at least upload the system info to the TonyMac forum so they can see what hardware we are dealing with.

Ya i'm getting pretty exhausted too, tonymac is being real anal about anyone talking about any type of solution. I'm kind of pissed because some kid had a distro of mac os x that would have given me something to go off but they pulled it really quickly, it was quite convienient how no one responded to the thread but as soon as there was any mention of copywritten matterial it gets immidiate attention.

Anyways, I'm not willing to give up just yet.

System info? You mean like exact specs? I'll update my thread with it soon so people a little more educated know whats up. Find a way to register, i'm pretty sure its open I only created my account a month ago, try opening a gmail account and sending the registration to that.

Big failure, didn't even get to the apple logo before it reboots the computer.

Weird. The guy in my thread said it was possible to run in a virtual box, that gives me some type of hope. i'm really gonna sit down and try and figure it all out tomorrow since I have the day off from work. I've looked at every piece of hardware on the machine and each one has been succesfully run on a OSx86 build before in the past so I don't see why ours in a exception.

There is another post about this laptop but the thread title doesn't really give anyone any reason to read it. I have a new Samsung QX410 which is an Intel i5-460m powered device. I have tried installing 10.6.3 with the iATKOS S3 V2 disk and get a kernel panic before it fully loads the installation environment. I also tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and a retail 10.6.3 disk and it also panics and stops before I get to the install environment. I've tried safe mode and single user mode for both methods and the result is always the same. Is there a way to output the verbose messages to a text file so I can let smarter people than me see exactly what the errors are? There are not many adjustments that can be made in the BIOS so it just might be that this computer is not Hackintosh compatible even though the output from the Windows tool suggests that it should mostly work, attached is a screen capture of the hardware ID tool. :(

Try booting iATKOS S3 V2 disk with -v busratio=18.......if you have problems try -v arch=i386 busratio=18.........or -v cpus=1 arch=i386 busratio=18........or even -v cpus=1 arch=i386 busratio=18 maxmem=2048

Try booting iATKOS S3 V2 disk with -v busratio=18.......if you have problems try -v arch=i386 busratio=18.........or -v cpus=1 arch=i386 busratio=18........or even -v cpus=1 arch=i386 busratio=18 maxmem=2048

That got me a lot closer, after about 15 minutes without the -v it finally went to the gray screen and several minutes later it went to the language selection screen. That's where it stopped, the mouse and touchpad were moving the cursor but I'm not sure if the buttons were clicking on the next button. Enter key didn't seem to do anything, esc nothing, cntrl+alt+del nothing.

The Sun (oracle) virtual box does not work with the desktop version of OSX, only server so I'll save others a little time and suggest finding a different VM if that is the way you want to go.

That got me a lot closer, after about 15 minutes without the -v it finally went to the gray screen and several minutes later it went to the language selection screen. That's where it stopped, the mouse and touchpad were moving the cursor but I'm not sure if the buttons were clicking on the next button. Enter key didn't seem to do anything, esc nothing, cntrl+alt+del nothing.

The Sun (oracle) virtual box does not work with the desktop version of OSX, only server so I'll save others a little time and suggest finding a different VM if that is the way you want to go.

http://tehparadox.com/forum/f51/iatkos-s3-...el-amd-1107236/

any luck? I found this but I need to buy a drive to backup everything before I try this.

You need to boot with those flags INCLUDING -v and then post any boot screen error messages but also try installing using an external USB keyboard and USB mouse plugged into the laptop.........

You need to boot with those flags INCLUDING -v and then post any boot screen error messages but also try installing using an external USB keyboard and USB mouse plugged into the laptop.........

I'll have to bring a keyboard home and see if that helps, maybe I'll even bring a Mac keyboard home.

When I tried -v it just sat there for what seemed to be an eternity without giving me any indication why it stopped. I'll try it again but it never even gave a kernel panic so I wasn't sure what to report back. Would be really nice if we could pipe the output to a file, there should be plenty of room on the 100mb boot partition that Win7 makes.

On to the backup issue... You should be able to back up your computer to DVD or DL-DVD with the Samsung partition (F4 during power up), alternately you should be able to do a complete drive image to DVD with Clonezilla, just make sure to defrag the Windows before trying it as Windows no longer frees the space until you defrag it (much like Mac it never throws anything away anymore), if you don't your image will contain all that junk data and will be really huge.

I was able to install using a retail dvd 10.6.3, the nawcom boot cd and busratio=17 kernel flag.

NVinject doesn't seem to work so far. NVdarwin loads but with 1024x768 resolution.

i'll try to update to 10.6.5.

Thanks! I'll give this a try over the weekend and see how I do.

Sure would be nice if there was a way to "slipstream" the 10.6.5 update into the retail disk, but everything I found gave indications that this can not be done at this time. I have a feeling more things will work with 10.6.5.

Probably still need [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to do the update, or some other technique to save the old/patched kexts.

That mostly worked... Everything installed but said it failed at the end and to reboot and start again. When it rebooted there was nothing it could boot from, so I had to boot off the CD again. Installed the 10.6.5 combo and ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], still no boot. So I used the disk to boot into "system" to get Windows back into operation. Using diskpart I made Windows active again so it is the default system to boot. Commands are as follows

list disk
select disk 0 (zero which is only one present)
list partition (find the 100MB partition and remember the number)
select partition 1
active
detail partition and it should say it is now active
exit

I also ran easyBCD and added a Mac partition to the boot file so that if I get things to work it should be able to boot from the Windows boot selection. Typing this from Windows.

i did notice that the nawcom installer mentioned that it was using a different kernel because the 10.6.3 disk I had would not support vanilla on a 10.6.3 because the i5/i3 processor support didn't start until 10.6.4. This makes me think it would work better with a 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 retail disk (if they are available).

I'll play with it more this weekend. Thing to note... Initiating the Mac disk wiped out my recovery partition! I would suggest that before starting this everyone uses Clozilla to make a complete disk image to a USB drive! Don't forget to defrag the Windows drive first. I'll be able to get my recovery partition back since I did image the entire drive, but I probably won't bother and will make another one as soon as I get OSX working.

Ethernet wired or wireless not working, audio is a little funny, graphics as mentioned only at 1024x768

That mostly worked... Everything installed but said it failed at the end and to reboot and start again. When it rebooted there was nothing it could boot from, so I had to boot off the CD again. Installed the 10.6.5 combo and ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], still no boot. So I used the disk to boot into "system" to get Windows back into operation. Using diskpart I made Windows active again so it is the default system to boot. Commands are as follows

list disk
select partition 1
active
exit

I also ran easyBCD and added a Mac partition to the boot file so that if I get things to work it should be able to boot from the Windows boot selection. Typing this from Windows.

i did notice that the nawcom installer mentioned that it was using a different kernel because the 10.6.3 disk I had would not support vanilla on a 10.6.3 because the i5/i3 processor support didn't start until 10.6.4. This makes me think it would work better with a 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 retail disk (if they are available).

I'll play with it more this weekend. Thing to note... Initiating the Mac disk wiped out my recovery partition! I would suggest that before starting this everyone uses Clozilla to make a complete disk image to a USB drive! Don't forget to defrag the Windows drive first. I'll be able to get my recovery partition back since I did image the entire drive, but I probably won't bother and will make another one as soon as I get OSX working.

Ethernet wired or wireless not working, audio is a little funny, graphics as mentioned only at 1024x768

I am assuming that you installed the Chameleon bootloader onto the OS X volume on its HDD or USB flash drive and included the busratio=17 or busratio=18 kernel flag in the com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra and/or in /L/P/SystemConfiguration........

I am assuming that you installed the Chameleon bootloader onto the OS X volume on its HDD or USB flash drive and included the busratio=17 or busratio=18 kernel flag in the com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra and/or in /L/P/SystemConfiguration........

Not yet, but I will check it immediately. I think Chameleon is loading but didn't know I had to go and edit the plist to put in the busratio statement. Should be easy enough to do. I'm just happy that I got this far, gives me something to work with in trying to get it functional and searching for solutions to things like the missing Nvidia from this hybrid graphics and getting the wireless to work.

What does the busratio really do? Is it slowing the bus speed down or just telling the OS that it needs to clock at this speed? Just trying to understand the why parts so that maybe I won't need so much help the next time.

Not yet, but I will check it immediately. I think Chameleon is loading but didn't know I had to go and edit the plist to put in the busratio statement. Should be easy enough to do. I'm just happy that I got this far, gives me something to work with in trying to get it functional and searching for solutions to things like the missing Nvidia from this hybrid graphics and getting the wireless to work.

What does the busratio really do? Is it slowing the bus speed down or just telling the OS that it needs to clock at this speed? Just trying to understand the why parts so that maybe I won't need so much help the next time.

The busratio is equivalent to the Bus/Core Ratio, which is the ratio of your CPU’s highest frequency to the FSB i.e. front-side bus frequency.......and since CPU frequency = FSB x Multiplier, the Bus/Core Ratio is equal to the Multiplier......

But note that Intel used a quad-pumped FSB on pre-iSeries Core CPUs, i.e. from Pentium 4 up to their Core2 Quad CPUs......thus, a Q6600 with an effective FSB of 1332 MHz, in fact has a true FSB of 1332/4 = 333 MHz and hence a CPU frequency of 2997 MHz give a multiplier of 9.......

The multiplier only affects your CPU frequency for a given FSB frequency, whereas the higher your FSB, the higher your system performance because the FSB links the CPU to the GFX card bus and RAM bus via the Northbridge chipset.......so, having an unlocked multiplier allows you to increase system performance by reducing the multiplier and increasing the FSB frequency yet keeping the same CPU frequency...... and running with a FSB/RAM frequency ratio of 1:1 is recommended for stability.......

list disk
select partition 1
active
exit

I had an identical problem.

I shrank my extended partition using disk management in windows 7. Then installed OSX on the extended partition (using the nawcom CD which i found out can install on an MBR partition on the fly) after erasing with Disk utility. The install completed, i didn't loose my recovery partition though.

I then couldn't login to windows so i had to use a Windows 7 CD, to launch the c prompt and set partition 1 to active. Then I booted OSX from the nawcom cd and installed chameleon on an SD card and added a few kexts to the SD card.

I was able to update to 10.6.5 but i had to use a modified kernel to boot to OSX.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nllcnzvn10jgq3f

I already had this kernel in my "Extra" folder before updating so at the boot screen i simply typed "r(0,5)/Extra/mach_kernel" where 5= my OSX partition.

But after boot USB and Networks arent working. So i have to find a way to install the USB kexts from 10.6.4.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...d=1582747

• 1 month later...

Hey I'm not sure if you got it to work yet, but for that processor the busratio is 19

works on iATKOS the version the other guy said with this code

-v busratio=19

worked on the dot for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This thread hasn't been bumped in a while, I got to the installation using nawcom bootcd and 10.6.4 instillation dvd but everytime I reach the instilation screen it tells me that OS X cannot be installed on this computer, then asks me to restore.

Currently I have a 15Gig hfs journaled partition

AHCI enabled

when I put the os x cd in I type -v cpus=1 busratio =17 (i've tried 19 but no luck)

I've tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and iatkos but nawcom gets me the farthest.

The problem i'm running into.