mac to host website, how powerful of a machine do I need?

10 posts in this topic

So I'm working with a friend of mine on developing a website. In our search for a hosting service I decided to do some research into hosting the site from our own server from home. From what I've read, we've decided that this is the route we will take. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any opinions on how powerful of a mac system is needed to do this. A couple of articles I've read about the topic claim that any system taht will run OSX is enough, one guy even says he is using a powerbook G3 with 400Mhz and 192MB RAM. Is it true that a cheap low powered system like this would be enough?

thanks,

adam

Yea, it would do it pritty well, because most of serving is storage space, and upstream on your internet, one mb up is not enough to host, so ull have to spring for buisness class or what ever they call it.... im going to do a little research on this topic to make sure that that mac could do it...

max

I was afraid that the standard up speed wouldnt be enough. This poses a new problem, because if the added cost of getting a faster connection is too high, it may override the benefit of building our own host system.

thanks for the input, I'll have to contact my local service provider

How many concurrent users to you expect to visit your site? What kind of content will you have (lots of cool videos, or mainly just web pages)? Will it be database driven, or primarily static pages? These all affect the various parts that go into your decision.

For the average blogger, home user, any computer that runs and has an active internet connection will do. If you want to serve video files or music content or other large files, your internet connection will be the first bottleneck to your website. If you're running things like PHP/SQL etc, then it will probably become bound by the memory first. If you're going to have tons of users visiting, but only serving them static pages, it will most likely be disk access and the internet connection that throttles your website. I suggest just trying it if you have a spare computer of any kind laying about. It may surprise you.

This Guy runs the entire site (and several others to boot) off a DSL at his home.

Thanks to some people here, I got my extra p4 3.2 ghz, 2 gig of ram running multiple websites, ftp through GuildFTP, and Dynamic Dns update through direct update. Although mac has apache built in i found it easier and having more control in windows. If you need help PM me or pm Domino cause he knows alot.

You can get a good web server out of an old Macintosh SE/30 running the right kind of Linux. Just thought I'd throw that one in.

Bsd is better on legacy hardware and its a server os.... thats all i gae to say.... but yes, you dont need much hardware to host sites...

I am running Apache2 +Mysql4 +PHP5 on my Hackintosh running a 2.4gig P4 with 512mg runs very good. Did not thik so at first as the default Apache1.3 did not run well at all at least for Gallery2. If you try it on a Mac or Hackintosh you should try Darwinports to setup Apache2. This site has a good guied on setting it up wile the articale is a little out of date it works just fine with OSx86. There was very little that had to be setup apart of configuring the httpd.conf for your needs. Of course you will need XCode installed. The default apache just could not handle a large Gallery2 install it was very slow and php would often time out. But with Apache2 installed every thing is good it is just as fast as the Ubuntu LAMP server I had installed before OSx86.