A few steps away from a perfect system

seninha

34 posts in this topic

Couple of days ago I finally,thanks to iAtkos V3_S2 , manage to install OSX on my system.

Here some specs:

-Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4

-Intel E8400

-4GB DDR2

-SATA 250GB HDD

-SATA DVD-RW drive

-Sapphire ATI 4870 512mb

After installing found some things not working the way I wanted.Most of those problems are already solved.

Audio , USB and ATI 4870. All three things are working now perfectlly.

But still have other issues that somehow I am not able to solve.

These issues are:

• Awaking monitor from sleep, ends with coloring snow instead of Desktop.

• When ALL system goes into sleep, it never wakes up.When I push the power button, fans start up , but nothing happend.Screen stays black.

• When opening Time Machine to see my backups I get the Finder with the backupfolder, and not what you see on the next picture:

time-machine-mode.jpg

And last "problem"

When Chameleon boot apears I always see this on my screen:

bootloader.jpg

I would like to load OSX right away. Already fount out that I need to do some changes on com.apple.com.plist inside folder /EXTRA.

Problem is that I do not have this plist inside my /EXTRA folder.

Can I make my hown plist with needed information (WAIT=NO)

Hope one of you can help me solve this four problem, so my system runs perfectlly.

About the sleep problems you can try the SleepEnabler kext (can be found by searching in this forum or in google) o r you can try to patch you dsdt.

Your com.apple.com.plist should be in (if not in Extra) /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

About the time machine problem now you probably don't have QE/CL enabled.

Thanks for your reply.

About .plist, I already found the one inside /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and already added WAIT=NO but still having to wait when before system boots OSX.

Sleepenabler.kext: also tried a different one but that did not give me any good result.

Do you think that I need to look for a newer slppeenabler or should I try also older ones? The one that I have knwo is from somewhere march 2010.

And last, you mention QE/CL.

Yesterday evening I was looking around the net because I was not able to get any image when playing a movie with VLC player. Only sound.

And found a topic where a guy had the same problem and someone told him that theproblem was QE/CL.And because he had a ATI video he will not be able to enable this?

Do you also think it's going to be a problem to enable QE/CL using ATI instead of Nvidia? And if not,HOW do I enable QE/CL

OK.

Try copying the .plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration to /Extra.

QE/CL works with your card. You can search on google or the forum and you will find info on how to get it working.

There are SleepEnabler kexts for each version of Snow Leopard (10.6.3,10.6.4,etc.)

but you can also try patching your dsdt. You have a Gigabyte motherboard and there are a lot of patches for those. If you search around a little bit in the forum you'll find lots of info about that.

Just found next site,where I can find a qe/cl package:

http://netkas.org/?p=382

Will try this one and hope it will solve the Time machine issue.

Next step will be using a new sleepenabler. You mentioned dsdt, but at this point i'm glad I know what a kext is.dsdt is something I do not know anything about (do not even know what it does ;) )

And your idea about copying plist to /extra was something already crossed my mind.But was not sure it could do any arm.

Next step will be using a new sleepenabler. You mentioned dsdt, but at this point i'm glad I know what a kext is.dsdt is something I do not know anything about (do not even know what it does ;) )

And your idea about copying plist to /extra was something already crossed my mind.But was not sure it could do any arm.

In simple words dsdt helps OSX read your bios info. Patching it helps OSX recognize your hardware as if was a real mac. There are patches about sleep problems and the support for gigabyte motherboards is very good. Try it if the SleepEnabler kexts don't work.

Now about the plist. If something goes wrong you can boot from the installation DVD and remove it.

Can you post the plist so I can have a look?

I'm at work right know.But will post it as soon as I get home (in about 2.5 hours)

Thanks for your inform about dsdt (where does DSDT it stand for?)

If a new kext does not help then I will concentrate in patching DSDT.

You mention that suppirt for Gigabyte is very good,does that mean that I just can use a DSDT from somebody else if he has the same board? (GA-P35-DS4)

Thanks for your inform about dsdt (where does DSDT it stand for?)

If a new kext does not help then I will concentrate in patching DSDT.

You mention that suppirt for Gigabyte is very good,does that mean that I just can use a DSDT from somebody else if he has the same board? (GA-P35-DS4)

DSDT stands for Differentiated System Description Table.

Yes you probably can use somebody elses DSDT.

Well yesterday evening after work tried to do something about missing QE/CL. I downloaded a package at Netkas QE/CL pkg .

Did a reboot after installation, but still no image when playing a movie inside VLC.Also time machine does not give me the screen I am use to see (sky plus finders)

Front Row also gives me a black screen.

Funny is dat I can start chess and play. I thought that this would be impossible without QE/CL enabled

Next,Chameleon boot screen.

I already copied com.apple.boot.plist from L/P/S to folder /EXTRA but still system waits on Chameleon screen for a few second.

Here is mij plist: (was not able to do a screenshot.I think because QE/CI is not enabled)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>custom</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Wait</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

</dict>

</plist>

About DSDT. First I want to solve this two isuues (QE/CI and Boot screen) and after this I will continue on sleepenabler

UPDATE ABOUT BOOTLOADER.

On my search on the net to enable QE/CI found one solution. that was place GrapchicsEnable=Yes inside my boot.plist. But again,after doing this in both boot.plist (/Extra and /L/P/S/ ) nothing happens.

At this point I am really sure that ,my bootloader somehow is not looking into this boot.plist.

That is way I place the iAtkos V3_S2 DVD back in the drive and started it up.Then I pressed CUSTOMIZE and under bootloader I see only one loader checked: AsereBLN v1.1.9

this is what iAtkos DVD says about this bootloader:

AsereBLN v1.1.9.Modified RC booter by AsereBLN.

That is way I see Chameleon RC4 when system is booted.

Now I wonder if this Bootloader is working the same way as Chameleon??? Specially when you keep in mind that there was NO com.apple.boot.plist inside folder EXTRA.

If somebody knows how to make changes with this loader,any information is welkom.

Otherwise i am thinking about changing this loader with a normal Chameleon (hope that system will still boot up normal)

Really hope somebody can help me solve this QE/CI issue i'm having.

Looks like I already tried everything without any luck.

Thinks I tried are:

-place the line GraphicsEnabler=yes on my boot.plist (on L/P/E and in /Extra)

-tried 2 different QE/CI packages (one for 10.6.2 and one for 10.6.3) none of those give me the needed result.

I thinks that this system is not complete without QE/CI enabled. other two issues have at this point very low priority.

System is going to be used for Movies so this must work for me.

Any help is welkom at this point

Really hope somebody can help me solve this QE/CI issue i'm having.

Looks like I already tried everything without any luck.

Thinks I tried are:

-place the line GraphicsEnabler=yes on my boot.plist (on L/P/E and in /Extra)

-tried 2 different QE/CI packages (one for 10.6.2 and one for 10.6.3) none of those give me the needed result.

I thinks that this system is not complete without QE/CI enabled. other two issues have at this point very low priority.

System is going to be used for Movies so this must work for me.

Any help is welkom at this point

In your com.apple.boot.plist.. the graphic enabler should loo like this

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

not GraphicsEnabler=yes

Your plist looks completely wrong eg the arch=386. Here is mine from Extra as a comparison.

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
   <string>1024x768x32</string>
<string>y</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I have no idea why my plist looks completely wrong. Just installed iAtkos S3_V2 from the DVD.After that I did only ad GraphicsEnabler to it.

So if it is wrong then its the way iAtkos installed it.

About QE, I changed GraphicsEnabler Yes to GraphicsEnabler Y :

<string>y</string>

but nothing changed.QE/CI is still not working.

I have no idea why my plist looks completely wrong. Just installed iAtkos S3_V2 from the DVD.After that I did only ad GraphicsEnabler to it.

So if it is wrong then its the way iAtkos installed it.

IMO that is what is wrong with "Distro(s)", people expect one click install and learn nothing.

About QE, I changed GraphicsEnabler Yes to GraphicsEnabler Y :

<string>y</string>

but nothing changed.QE/CI is still not working.

Try this search http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...q=&gs_rfai=. This looks interesting http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=206466

Again IMO instead of 'Time Machine" use "Carbon Copy Cloner" & "Chameleon" to make a bootable backup.

I have no idea why my plist looks completely wrong. Just installed iAtkos S3_V2 from the DVD.

The com.apple.Boot.plist on many of the distros is a complete mess because they try to support two or more different bootloaders at the same time. PC_EFI has some flags that Chameleon don't have and vice versa. Throw AsereBLN into the mix and it just gets worse.

On top of that yours has some redundant flags that don't make any sense.

USBBusFix=y does the same as setting both EHCIAquire and UCHIReset=y. Either you need one of those two or you need them both, in which case you would set USBBusFix=y instead.

This is the most {censored}ed com.apple.Boot.plist I've ever seen (also from a distro DVD):

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>Boot Banner</key>
  <string>No</string>
  <key>BootBanner</key>
  <string>No</string>
  <key>Default Partition</key>
  <string>hd(0,2)</string>
  <key>DropSSDT</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>EHCIacquire</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <string>y</string>
  <key>ForceHPET</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>ForceWake</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>GenerateCStates</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>GeneratePStates</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>Graphics Mode</key>
  <string>1360x768x32</string>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>InstantMenu</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>Kernel</key>
  <string>legacy_kernel</string>
  <key>Kernel Flags</key>
  <string>-force64 arch=i386</string>
  <key>LegacyLogo</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>QuietBoot</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>RestartFix</key>
  <string>No</string>
  <key>SMBIOSdefault</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>Timeout</key>
  <string>5</string>
  <key>UHCIreset</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>UseMemDetect</key>
  <string>No</string>
  <key>UseNvidaROM</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>VBIOS</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>Wake</key>
  <string>Yes</string>
  <key>arch</key>
  <string>i386</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Thanks guys for all your help.

Before I continue, HOW CAN I FIGURE OUT WHICH BOOTLOADER MY SYSTEM USES? Already try to find it using Spotlight but nothing came on.

My idea is that I am using Chameleon RC4.(I see this when system boots,it comes very short on screen)

But If I was using Chameleon RC4 where is it installed, and why do i not have standard a com.apple.boot.plist inside folder /EXTRA?

Due to the fat that I suspect that I am using Chameleon RC4, did some search on Chameleon site, and saw on the Chameleon 2.0 RC4 is out topic a lot of replies from people having problems getting QE/CI enabled?

(would like to post the link but somehow they won't let me )

Next question. Since a couple of days I have been trying to get this QE/CI enabled and there fore i installed different kext , QE CI exotic Cards 10.6.3.pkg.

Last thing I just tried was placing legacyATI4800Controller.kext into /E and /S/L/E.

I just copied them form my desktop and after that I used Kext Utility. (tried to use kext Helper but I need a root password and I do not have this )

After done this I restarted the system, and booted using -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes

But still no sign of QE/CI being enabled (VLC wont play movies,Front Row stays black)

Question is: do you think that my system s now so messed up by doing this that it just can't work??

I have a TimeMachine backup (which I can use and works,tested several times already). Shall I go back to the day that I first did a backup (at that point audio, ATI and USB where working , except QE/CI)

And last.

Can I use someone else (for example Dellmantt's plist, posted on this topic) com.apple.boot.plist without causing a major error?

And about using a Distro.I think this is for a lot of people the only way to have a working system.And a few of those can work from then on (like me, I like to understand why I do something inside my OS)

GA-P35-DS4

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=232678

you can use the same files

DSDT Auto-Patcher

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

HD 4850/4870

1- use the kext legacyati4800controller.kex (E/E or S/L/E)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=59328

2- Graphicsenabler

Use Lizard

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1034555/lizard/Lizard-custom.zip

2a-Auto detect value

2b-GraphicsInjection

2c-save

lizard.png

REBOOT

this is added in boot.plist

*if you are not on 10.6.2 you will also need to plug a dvi>vga dongle in second dvi out in order to use the 1st dvi out, or use ATIframbuffer.kext, ATISupport.kext, and ATI4800Controler.kext from 10.6.2

MaLd0n: Many thanks for your tips.

Hope this will solve my problem ;)

Before I start few questions:

If I open the first link then I see 3 things i can download:

GA-P35-DS3 zip file

Boot cd

and

DSDT Patcher GA-P35-DS3

Which one do I need to get. If it is the zip file. What do I do with files inside this folder?

Your second link is for a DSDT Patcher. When I start this I choose my Board and a DSDT file is placed on my desktop.

What do I do whit this file?Where do i drop the dsdt.aml file?

And About Lizard

After starting this I pressed Auto Detected Value I get the next message:

PCIRoot configuration

Detected PCIRoot value is: 1

Is this okay? And do I need to choose a resolution on Graphics Resolution? Or just press SAVE, without using G.resolution?

And finally a question about this last comment:

*if you are not on 10.6.2 you will also need to plug a dvi>vga dongle in second dvi out in order to use the 1st dvi out, or use ATIframbuffer.kext, ATISupport.kext, and ATI4800Controler.kext from 10.6.2

I do have a DVI-VGA dongle at home.SO what you mean is that I just need to insert this dongle into DVI 2 and my monitor on DVI 1 to make it work?

And if it does not work then I need to get me ATIframbuffer.kext, ATISupport.kext, and ATI4800Controler.kex form 10.6.2

Do I need to place this three kext into /E/E and S/L/E next or instead of legacyati4800controller.kex ?

Your second link is for a DSDT Patcher. When I start this I choose my Board and a DSDT file is placed on my desktop.

What do I do whit this file?Where do i drop the dsdt.aml file?

-Use BootCd(use -x)

after

-Copy the folder Extra to your HD

the DSDT will be generated inside the folder Extra or root(Use DSDT Auto-Patcher http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523)

After starting this I pressed Auto Detected Value I get the next message:

PCIRoot configuration

Detected PCIRoot value is: 1

Is this okay? And do I need to choose a resolution on Graphics Resolution? Or just press SAVE, without using G.resolution?

Yep

save

I do have a DVI-VGA dongle at home.SO what you mean is that I just need to insert this dongle into DVI 2 and my monitor on DVI 1 to make it work?

Yep :(

And if it does not work then I need to get me ATIframbuffer.kext, ATISupport.kext, and ATI4800Controler.kex form 10.6.2

Do I need to place this three kext into /E/E and S/L/E next or instead of legacyati4800controller.kex ?

S/L/E

Ok i am ready to start.

So I go to the first link and download

GA-P35-DS3 zip file

and

Boot cd

Boot system with BootCD using -x (save mode) : why use bootcd and not just press F8 when starting up and then type -x??

Take the EXTRA folder from the GA-P35-DS3 folder en place it into my HDD. I assumed that I need to replace this with the one I have.

Then run DSDT patcher, and place the .aml file it produces into the EXTRA folder (when I tested yesterday DSDT patcher it placed the file into my desktop)

Then place kext file into the right folder

and as last

Run lizardIs this the way to go? (sorry for the extra question but I want to be sure I do it right. Already did so many different things to make it work that I just want to be sure that if this does not work is not because I took the wrong steps)

Well, here an update before I go to work.

First of all, I tried to start my system using the BootCD, but then I get a panic.

Something with : Version mis-match between kernel and CPU M......

So I just started with my own boot cd (iAtkos DVD) using -x -v

Then i logged in (not as root)

First I wanted to copy downloaded folder EXTRA to my HDD but I did get an error:

The item "EXTRA" can't be replaced because it's invisible.

that why I just opened the folder EXTRA (using Go To Folder), and copy everything from one folder to the other.

Then I copied DSDT.aml I made using DSDT patcher form my desktop to again folder /EXTRA

Next step: I dropped legacyati4800controller.kex in both folders (/E/E and /S/L/E)

After this I started Lizard and after this I shut system down.

placed a DVI-VGA dongle in second DVI out.

Restarted system and started Front Row and then.........NOTHING ;)

I really have no idea why this is not working.I followed every step you told me , but still no luck.

This is now what I have inside my /EXTRA folder:

Folders:

• Extentions
  • themes
  • util

com.apple.boot.plist

dsdt.aml

Extentions.bak.mkext

extentions.mkext

smbios.plist

This is now my boot.plist

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

I wonder if using EFI could be the problem of QE/CI not working at all? reason to ask this is because I wasn't sure what kind of boot loader i use.When I start I see the Chameleon logo, but after doing next line on the terminal:

diskutil list

I get next info:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0

1: Windows_NTFS 62.9 GB disk0s1

2: Windows_NTFS 188.1 GB disk0s5

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS iAtkos v2 S3 250.7 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *120.0 GB disk2

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Time Machine Backups 119.7 GB disk2s2

That is the problem

As soon as I want to use my retail DVD i just cant pass the boot CD.

Already tried serveral different boot cd's but none of those let me install OSX

Before I downloaded iAtkos i used:

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] (different version)

Empire EFI (also different version)

NawCom (also different version)

Every time system stopped at ACPI_

Here a sceenshot of where boot stopped when I use one of those bootloaders:

imageib0.jpg