ATI 10.6.3 -> 10.6.5 failed...switched to Nvidia 240..will it work?

ScottC302

1 post in this topic

I installed 10.6.3 with what I had...and ATI 4550. This worked somewhat (DVI port only). I tried upgrading to 10.6.5 and all I'd get was a solid grey screen.

Since I knew I was working in usupported land, I went ahead and got something that was supported....an Nvidia 240. I took the 4550 out and put the Nvidia 240 in and it worked.

So...my question is...was the unsupported card the problem with my upgrade...and do you think I'll be successful now?

The second part of this question....my goal is to have three working displays. I have two now with my Nvidia 240. Can I simply add another 240 card and have it work plug and play?

----

An update. I remembered I had an earlier failed install (where I got grey screen after upgrading to 10.6.5) on a different hard drive. I booted to that disk and booted with the 240 card in and it worked. With that under my belt I went ahead and upgraded my production 10.6.5 install.

This worked and all is happy.

My question about adding another 240 card still remains.

Thanks for any feedback.

I'm amazed at how smooth this actually is.

Scott