Apple Opens Up: Kernel, Mac OS Forge, iCal Server, Bonjour, Launchd

bofors

91 posts in this topic

I wonder how long they will continue to offer sources like that. You have to admit -- it's a pretty smart move to get even more people interested in mac os.

Sort of leads one to think that maybe the cracking of intel os x was orchestrated by apple to get a free development testbed.

I figure this is a big NO, but would this make it to where you can run on SSE only cpus?

Nope. SSE3 has only a handful of instructions that aren't in SSE2, which means it's very easy to substitute instructions for SSE2-equivalents. SSE2 has hundreds of new instructions that aren't in SSE, which makes running OS X on an SSE machine impossible.

Thats what I thought. Oh well. I guess I nee to get me a pure Mac for my non gaming purposes.
yeah, your kind better invest into Apple so we can progress with the real (important) stuff .. :pirate2:

Does nobody else than Maxxuss know which parts of the kernel need adjustments for using it the way we do? What are the differences between the 10.4.4 original source and the 10.4.4 'hacked' source? What's the sticking point which causes the original kernel to fail on our hackintoshes?

so just to guage the level of modification this new open source kernel has brought us.

exactly HOW difficult will it be for one like myself (virtually no coding knowledge, other than various web languages), to get my Opteron 165 running just as good, or better than the current kernel that all us non-mac hardware users are running on right now?

just trying to look into it with a realistic perspective.

so just to guage the level of modification this new open source kernel has brought us.

exactly HOW difficult will it be for one like myself (virtually no coding knowledge, other than various web languages), to get my Opteron 165 running just as good, or better than the current kernel that all us non-mac hardware users are running on right now?

just trying to look into it with a realistic perspective.

It helps people like us (those with no Kernel coding knowledge) none whatsoever. The long-term implication is that someone with kernel knowledge could take it and make it usable for us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...