Apple Opens Up: Kernel, Mac OS Forge, iCal Server, Bonjour, Launchd

bofors

91 posts in this topic

now they have set themselves up as direct competition for Microsoft, said their PCs are cheaper than Dell etc.

i just went to the dell website. the "comparable" dell machine aslo comes with 2GB ram, a 20" widescreen lcd monitor and a 650GB hd, a huge amount of savings.

i do not condone buying dell, as i have had {censored} dell machines in the past, but to say that a mac is cheaper is just lying.

i just went to the dell website. the "comparable" dell machine aslo comes with 2GB ram, a 20" widescreen lcd monitor and a 650GB hd, a huge amount of savings.

i do not condone buying dell, as i have had {censored} dell machines in the past, but to say that a mac is cheaper is just lying.

Make sure you are selecting the newer 51xx Xeons, and not the 50xx ones. The 51xx are the Woodcrest models which are used in the MacPro, and they cost more than the older ones but are more powerful and more efficient. Also make sure to select TWO processors (click the drop down for Second Processor).

When I configured a Mac Pro and Dell Precision 690 as closely as possible (need to find the link that lets you build system without monitor and use Woodcrests, dealmac has it), using the lower end 2.0 GHz (since that's good enough for me), I came out with about $2500 for the Mac and almost $3000 for the Dell. But if want the same warranty (Apple default is 1 year, Dell 3) you need to add $250 to the Mac, but it's still $250 less. Then again, Dell has coupon codes and deals that will lower the price significantly.

But, then again...I wouldn't buy a Dell either. Plus it won't ever run OS X legitimately and without hacking.

I just wish they came out with a low end Mac Pro that used Conroe/Core 2 Duo instead of Xeon. That way they could easily shave off at least $1000!! That would place it in the same range as iMacs, which while definitely beautiful machines, just aren't gaming boxes, which for me is the reason for wanting a Mac that can boot Windows. Oh well. I suppose I could save money and stick with what I have now, crossing fingers that good 100% functional video drivers come out sometime for my hackintosh.

If not, I suppose it wouldn't kill me to buy a new intel Mini to replace my G4 one, and keep my PC for games.

This is great news! Now that we have the opensource kernel, we can do the following with relative ease:

1 - Remove power management instructions that are specific to only Core Duo processors. Monitor sleep and hard drive sleep will finally work again, as well as all other power management.

2 - Optimize the kernel to work with not only SSE3 Intel CPUs, but also with SSE2 AMD and Intel CPUs. This has been done in the past, but with the open kernel, it can be done a lot cleaner. This means that if an SSE3 machine uses a kernel with patches for SSE2, it will probably no longer misdetect the CPU in System Profiler.

3 - Remove the NX requirement easier than before

I sincerely doubt that anybody is going to take requests and build kernels optimized for one specific CPU. That would take an extremely long time. Instead, it can easily be optimized for x86 CPUs in general that aren't necessarily Core-Duos.

hacking OS X is profitable viral advertising.

they think they will stay far enough ahead of hackers in future generations of the OS, that it's not going to affect their sales except positively .

it's probably as simple as that.

let's enjoy our status as unpaid sales representatives of Apple Corp. :)

yeah, 10.4.7 is yours for the taking. lets get thousands of people running it. let them invest in OSX software. Let them "switch". Then when we release Leopard, and they can't crack it, they'll have to buy our hardware too. No going back to Windows. Kerching!

mmmm.... Mac Pro.... consider me a switcher!

nah, the MPs will have all the software to run all the hardware... erm.. yeah. which means we should see 10.4.8 on the updater soon... got to keep the software line synced.

o/t good stuff appearing on ADC, like Java 6 preview and an Apple EFI developers kit. They're really moving with this now. Waiting for Xcode 2.4

I've gotten this far:

cc -static -D__ASSEMBLER__ -force_cpusubtype_ALL  -arch i386 -Di386 -DI386 -D__I386__ -DPAGE_SIZE_FIXED  -DAPPLE -DNeXT -DKERNEL -DKERNEL_PRIVATE -DXNU_KERNEL_PRIVATE -DPRIVATE -D__MACHO__=1 -Dvolatile=__volatile -DMACH -DMACH_KERNEL -DMACH_LOAD -DPC_SUPPORT -DUXPR -DEVENT -DMACH_BSD -DIOKIT -DMACH_PE -DPAE -DX86_64 -DAT386=1   -c  idt.s; /bin/rm -f   idt.pp idt.s
idt.s:450:bad register name ('%dr7')

=/

Got it to compile yay.

andrews-computer:~ andrew$ uname -a

Darwin andrews-computer.local 8.7.2 Darwin Kernel Version 8.7.2: Tue Aug 8 21:20:32 CDT 2006; andrew:xnu-792.10.96/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Appears YukonOSX doesn't like it