Upgrading the Hackintosh!

NickMiller

3 posts in this topic

Hey Guys! After Christmas I will have a good chunk of change for upgrading my computer. I have Dual monitors, but with my 4650 I can't use both. Since the iMac has a Radeon 4670 are they compatible without any modifications or enablers? Can I boot in the full res of my monitors? On top of not being able to use dual monitors I have had trouble with things that I think might be gfx card related. Like, Safari crashes during the "Welcome to Safari" animation. Also, iMovie crashes when I try to export anything (even a small mp4 video). I also have problems with screen recording in QuickTime X, because I can't export in the full resolution of my screen it goes to resolution like "700x576". As to the RAM, can I use all 8GB in 10.6.5 because I have read that it doesn't work with more than 4GB in a hackintosh. Also, is the fact that osx detects my RAM as DDR3 instead of DDR2 bad?

P.S. When I use the iStat Pro widget under 10.6.2 it double panics and I have to restart. Is this because of my AMD processor?

Current Specs:

Hazard Snow Leopard 10.6.2/Windows 7 Ultimate x86

AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE @2.8GHz

4GB G.Skill 1066MHz DDR2 RAM

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4650 512MB (QE/CE, but no dual displays with dev id added to kexts)

Future Specs:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 (Hazard 10.6.2 + 10.6.5 Combo Update and 10.6.4 Legacy Kernel)

AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE @2.8GHz

8GB (2x4GB) 1066MHz DDR2 RAM

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB