Geforce 460GTX Supported!

DMJC

45 posts in this topic

I followed the tonymac's guide here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/11/upd...r-mac-os-x.html for an existing installation (was on 10.6.4) and it did not work and my card is still not getting recognized.

Currently I am on 10.6.5, used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and installed tonymac's nvidia update however my card still doesn't work.

My specs:

intel i5 720 2.8

4gb corsair xms3

evga gtx 460 1gb

gigabyte p55a-ud3

System profiler gives me this (also recognizes my computer as MacPro 3,1):

Display:

Type:	GPU
Bus:	PCIe
PCIe Lane Width:	x4
VRAM (Total):	64 MB
Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID:	0x0e22
Revision ID:	0x00a1
Displays:
 Display:
Resolution:	1024 x 768
Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display:	Yes
Mirror:	Off
Online:	Yes

What am I doing wrong exactly? Should I attempt to use nvidia's quadro installer now?

I had the same specs when not using pciroot=1 in my com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>PciRoot</key>
 <string>1</string>

Cyber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have yhis card. EVGA 460 1gb. But my old 8800gt work better ((( I have this in sys prof:

GeForce GTX 460:

Chipset Model:	GeForce GTX 460
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 Slot:	Slot-1
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	1024 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0e22
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 ROM Revision:	70.04.13.00.76
 Displays:
Display Connector:
LG TV:
 Resolution:	1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Rotation:	Supported
 Television:	Yes

I dont have any lines in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext because i dont have any lines about my mac model (macpro1.2)

2d desktop graphics works like shirt.

I now have a EVA GTX 460 786mb SC and tried running osx and it works. QE/CI, resolution and etc.

Got two problems though.

1) Random Freezes. Usually when idle. Read Tonymac's forums and found out that running a movie in loop on the background fixes the issue. So it could be that when it is a low/idle state, freezes occur (at least, what people are suspecting).

2) Smoothness. I also have an ATI 4550 and in terms of basic tasks like minimizing, maximizing, hovering icons from the dock, it is smoother. The GTX 460 gets choppy. Especially when Minimizing, you could notice the choppiness when doing it. When I do it on my ATI 4550, its like liquid smoothness.

I know that GTX 460 should be better because it is way way powerful compared to my ATI card.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

I now have a EVA GTX 460 786mb SC and tried running osx and it works. QE/CI, resolution and etc.

Got two problems though.

1) Random Freezes. Usually when idle. Read Tonymac's forums and found out that running a movie in loop on the background fixes the issue. So it could be that when it is a low/idle state, freezes occur (at least, what people are suspecting).

2) Smoothness. I also have an ATI 4550 and in terms of basic tasks like minimizing, maximizing, hovering icons from the dock, it is smoother. The GTX 460 gets choppy. Especially when Minimizing, you could notice the choppiness when doing it. When I do it on my ATI 4550, its like liquid smoothness.

I know that GTX 460 should be better because it is way way powerful compared to my ATI card.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

I got the same issue here, I have a MSI GTX460 HAWK and it freezes too. I suspect as well that the freeze is when idle state occurs.

The video wallpaper seems to do the trick and its my temporary solution (I use the WallSaver program).

All I know is: Its better to have a solution to use my Mac than using that microsoft {censored} called windows..

Hope Nvidia release some new drivers that work without low performance, freezes and KP.

BTW, my cinebench score is about 18fps witch is really low. I know that "DeDante" has the same Graphics Card and his score is about 24fps in cinebench too. Why is that happening?

• 2 weeks later...

I had an Intel DP55WB mobo, Intel Core I7-760 and Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB O.C. The random freezes, crashes made me upset for a long time. I did some experiments in last week and got a good result to share with GTX 460 users. Followings are my procedures:

Prepare:

1. Set BIOS to proper settings for Snow Leopard running - AHCI, HPET,...,etc.

2. Turn off Core i5 Turbo boost, speed step, enhance speed step. Actually I overclocked my FSB to run 4 cores at 3.4GHz maximun.

3. using DSDT auto patcher under windows to get a proper dsdt for my hardware. I also verified my hardware stability under windows, too.

Installation: using latest tonymacx86, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and Chameleon 2 rc5 trunk 700, SleepEnabler (downloaded from kexts.com)

1. Install snow leopard.

2. Update 10.6.6 combo

3. Install retail nvidia fermi card drivers and patch device id manually.

4. run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and just install the kexts I need but didn't use easy beast or user dsdt installation. The kexts I installed:

ACPIMonitor.kext

IntelThermal.kext

ALC8xxHDA.kext

JMicron36xATA.kext

EvOreboot.kext

JMicron36xSATA.kext

FakeSMC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

SuperIOFamily.kext

5. Set system information to "MacPro 3,1"

6. edit "/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist" add "DSDT"

7. boot into fresh new 10.6.6 and then download a small utility "Wallsaver" from macupdate site. run Wallsaver to enable any quartz screensaver as my desktop background.

8. Start installing other softwares and my daily works.

I had more than 2 days uptime without any freeze, crash. That was not happening before. I don't know why or which steps make fermi card system more stable. Maybe turn off CPU speed stepping, turbo boost features, sleepenabler or Wallsaver. But no doubt, stablity was improved quite a lot. I'm sick about fermi card problem under OSX86. I will not try to modify any settings of my current OSX86 installation.

compare to my previous unstable installation, the differences are:

1. disable Core i5 CPU all speed stepping features, turbo boost from BIOS.

2. SleepEnabler.

3. New version of Chameleon, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.1

4. Set system as "MacPro 3,1", I used "MacPro 5,1" and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext patch before. This time I just used MacPro 3,1 without AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext patch.

5. Wallsaver

If you want to figure out why, please follow above procedures and start your experiments.

Good luck.

Update my OpenGL Extension Viewer and Cinebench scores:

OpenGL Extension Viewer

Old unstable installation: 3000~3200

New installation: 3500~4200

Cinebench:

Old unstable installation: 21~22.x

New installation: 27~29.x

I had an Intel DP55WB mobo, Intel Core I7-760 and Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB O.C. The random freezes, crashes made me upset for a long time. I did some experiments in last week and got a good result to share with GTX 460 users. Followings are my procedures:

Prepare:

1. Set BIOS to proper settings for Snow Leopard running - AHCI, HPET,...,etc.

2. Turn off Core i5 Turbo boost, speed step, enhance speed step. Actually I overclocked my FSB to run 4 cores at 3.4GHz maximun.

3. using DSDT auto patcher under windows to get a proper dsdt for my hardware. I also verified my hardware stability under windows, too.

Installation: using latest tonymacx86, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and Chameleon 2 rc5 trunk 700, SleepEnabler (downloaded from kexts.com)

1. Install snow leopard.

2. Update 10.6.6 combo

3. Install retail nvidia fermi card drivers and patch device id manually.

4. run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and just install the kexts I need but didn't use easy beast or user dsdt installation. The kexts I installed:

ACPIMonitor.kext

IntelThermal.kext

ALC8xxHDA.kext

JMicron36xATA.kext

EvOreboot.kext

JMicron36xSATA.kext

FakeSMC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

SuperIOFamily.kext

5. Set system information to "MacPro 3,1"

6. edit "/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist" add "DSDT"

7. boot into fresh new 10.6.6 and then download a small utility "Wallsaver" from macupdate site. run Wallsaver to enable any quartz screensaver as my desktop background.

8. Start installing other softwares and my daily works.

I had more than 2 days uptime without any freeze, crash. That was not happening before. I don't know why or which steps make fermi card system more stable. Maybe turn off CPU speed stepping, turbo boost features, sleepenabler or Wallsaver. But no doubt, stablity was improved quite a lot. I'm sick about fermi card problem under OSX86. I will not try to modify any settings of my current OSX86 installation.

compare to my previous unstable installation, the differences are:

1. disable Core i5 CPU all speed stepping features, turbo boost from BIOS.

2. SleepEnabler.

3. New version of Chameleon, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.1

4. Set system as "MacPro 3,1", I used "MacPro 5,1" and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext patch before. This time I just used MacPro 3,1 without AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext patch.

5. Wallsaver

If you want to figure out why, please follow above procedures and start your experiments.

Good luck.

Update my OpenGL Extension Viewer and Cinebench scores:

OpenGL Extension Viewer

Old unstable installation: 3000~3200

New installation: 3500~4200

Cinebench:

Old unstable installation: 21~22.x

New installation: 27~29.x

final install....

your hack is:

- 3.1 macpro

- turbo boost disable

- fermi drivers official

- Chameleon 2 rc5 700

- SleepEnabler - file download??

is OK? real steps and files :lol: bios setup??

thanks

I'm unable to get my KFA2 1GB GTX460 working on 10.6.5 or 10.6.6. I've tried the tonymac update, latest Chameleon, PCIroot fix etc. Nothing works. Always detected as a 64MB video card.

I'm running AMD with the latest legacy kernel. Anybody got any ideas what could be causing this? My motherboard (M4A785TD-M) doesn't have ACPI tables so I can't make DSDT.

Hey guys, I can get my Gigabyte gtx 460 installed and working but when I play WOW it freezes with mouse moving but nothing else?

hi, got same probs. sometimes it freeze at logout too.

try to reduce multisampling and or disable full screen glow effect

edit: my sys was oc and behind i set it to normal speed it works fine with wow all enabled and max settings

hi, got same probs. sometimes it freeze at logout too.

try to reduce multisampling and or disable full screen glow effect

It freezes before I can adjust anything.. I had the settings at low before I launched it anyway...

Also, I tried an 8800gts and it freezes as well after a while..

I currently have had a 10.6.5 working great on my i7 ud5, 13k geekbench but i notice a little interface lag sometimes with my evga 9800gtx+.

The 460 1gb is now under the $200 mark and seems like such a good buy if judging windows performance. The anecdotal info here on the boards sounds like the 460 isnt performing nearly as well on osx. To you whom have 460's in your hackintosh(s) think I should hold out for better drivers? I'm looking for a meaningful upgrade but i hardly if ever spend time in win 7 anymore. So I want to upgrade to a card that performs great in snow and significantly better than my current card.

@ mangopeach Deciding on the 460 vs a 5850 depends on what you plan on doing with your system mainly because I intended on getting a 460 myself but because of all these erratic behaviors I'm in the reconsidering stage right now but I want a fermi cad so I can utilize CUDA but going from 460 -. 470 in pricing is giving up an arm and leg at the checkout. You could opt for the 5850 perfectly fine card but I'm leaning towards saving up a bit for a 470 since it runs fine in os x as compared to the 460. It all comes down to if you're going to utilize any of the nvid technology in os x or whether you want a decent upgrade from your current card.

I'm using a 4850 but of course ati has no CUDA in their gpu's which has me leaning to the "gang green" side for some CUDAs.