The Official WWDC Live News Thread

340 posts in this topic

The MacBook Pro's apparently have a 5.8ghz wireless capability:

http://static.flickr.com/59/209097059_3070ecd4ae.jpg?v=0

Edit: The MacRumors site says the "new" Macbook Pro carries this feature. I wonder if it is referring to the current model or an updated lineup to be revealed at WWDC.

Edit 2: Bond, we must have been posting at the same time! Kudos to you, but I'll leave my post up here since it bears a link.

Thats not really news - 5.8ghz is 802.11a which the intel pro wireless cards all support - i think the noteworthy fact was that apple are using this 55mbps wireless system which older macs can't connect to.

Thats not really news - 5.8ghz is 802.11a which the intel pro wireless cards all support - i think the noteworthy fact was that apple are using this 55mbps wireless system which older macs can't connect to.

Thanks for clarifying that for me Ouch. I'm in a bit of a frenzied mode here, trying to put whatever news I can find on this page. I'm glad to know community members are stepping up to get to the facts.

This is just a quick clarification... hop on irc.macspeak.net and connect to #WWDC for some collective "live" coverage. We will be pulling from multiple sources and posting as fast as we can.

If you are having difficulty connecting, try connecting to one of these specific servers:

comrade.macspeak.net

irc.fr.macspeak.net

irc.de.macspeak.net

Everyone keeps talking about IRC, but I still haven't found an OS X client that I like. Any suggestions?

As a side note to the mole for next year, I will probably be there. I only live a few min. outside S.F. I wanted to go this year but have to fly out soon. Oh well, always next year. :)

10:01 AM: Jobs takes the stage and the crowd goes wild!

Edit: apparently he's a bit of a funny man, spinning his lines into the "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" adverts, and to much laughter I might add.

at 4,200 attendees, largest WWDC ever!

3/4 of a million registered developers for mac

over 140 discounts during the time of the conference.

1000 apple engineers on site. (at 1 engineer for every 4 attendees)

yah blah retail update

1.3 million macs shipped last quarter - best ever

3/4 of them intel based

UPDATE: "PowerMac says its goodbyes..." - Schiller takes the stage

17 million visitors to Apple stores in the last quarter alone, with 50% of purchases being to new Mac owners. Also shipped 1.3 million macs, 3/4ths of whcih were intel macs, with MBP leading the pack.

In the past year, half a billion in 3rd party products

All of this lead to a stock market skyrocket in june

Edit: all this is great, but where is Leopard? New MBP? New Mac Pro?

I spoke too soon, they're talking about the new Mac Pro now!

Specs:

Two optical drives, same G5 Tower case, Woodcrest Processors based on Cord 2 duo, All dual core, up to 3ghz, with 4MB L2 cache, 128 bit vector engine and 64 bits of raw computing power!