On the fence on what video card to get

Tylers86

1 post in this topic

I built my rig about 8 months ago, its an i7 860 that currently has an ATI 5850, using Windows 7. I had no intentions on making a hackintosh at that point, however over the past few months I have gained a lot of interest in making this a dual boot system.

Obviously, the 5850 was not the greatest choice initially, I had not anticipated the use of an nVidia card for CS5 and regret getting that card. Ill be selling it off to acquire a nVidia card within the price range of what I will be getting from the sale of my 5850.

I have narrowed it down, but still am not sure as I have been informed cards with DDR5 memory out perform those with DDR3 memory with the Mercury Acceleration. However I have also seen a lot of very satisfied users using DDR3 cards. Should I be ignoring this DDR memory specification? Anyone got links to some bench marks?

The card has to have the following:

Compatability with 10.6.3 (or 4) Snow leopard

Price of $230 at the highest, hopefully lower.

Use with Premire pro CS5 Mercury engine. I know which cards can be hacked, it DOES NOT have to be a certified card.

Some light gaming, this is the lowest priority.

It seems that the GTX 260 fits the bill pretty well, however, I am confronted once again with the whole DDR5 memory thing. Also, the GT 240 has a version with 1GB of DDR5 memory, and is quite inexpensive. However I am uncertain of its compatability with hackintosh as well as the light gaming I am interested in.