Transluence question (Should be easy!)

Pikeman85

46 posts in this topic

Ok, disabled every port or extra drive possible (except the dvd-rw) - and also inserted the correct thing into my extra com.apple.Boot.plist - causing my graphics to do the slow but high resolution image as before.

Nothing changed. It was still slow afterwards.

Chameleon and the patched kernel you're using are having trouble calculating your CPU speed.

Is your CPU a dual or single core model?

Look in System Profiler, is your CPU listed at its factory rated speed (2.4GHz)?

Investigate those CPU settings in your BIOS like I keep asking you to!

Run Terminal, type uname -a at the prompt and post the output here.

I've never seen this before "Local APIC version 0x10, 0x14 or more expected", that's probably not good.

Make sure ACPI 2.0 and ACPI APIC is enabled in your BIOS if you have such settings (or similar). Then check if that message still appears.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard.

I wonder what "NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!" means. Could be related to your slowdown issue.

You didn't disable your serial port like I asked you to. It probably doesn't matter much but please understand that if you don't do what I ask you to do, then I cannot help you.

Your sleepenabler.kext is not loading. You can delete it or try to fix it. I don't know if this kext can have any influence on your issues, I don't use it myself. Use the forum search to find the latest sleepenabler.kext and learn how to configure it with the PMVersion flag.

There's an intermittent problem with your USB 2.0 port. Try adding USBBusFix=y to your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Please zip and attach your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, /Extra/smbios.plist and your DSDT.aml.

I disabled everything you asked me to in my bios, and tested OSX with no change in the slowdown. I then reenabled everything because I use this as a Windows/Linux machine as well (not that I use the serial port on average). I'm technically competent (not as much with OSX, but that's due to a lack of training), and I'm doing exactly what you say.

If you want me to keep all of the functions (like on-board audio, serial port, etc) off whenever I boot into OSX, I'm more than happy to, I just figured that we had already tested and dismissed them.

Would the sleepenabler.kext problem be because of the fact that I upgraded from 10.6.1 to 10.6.4?

The OpenGL timeout seems VERY suspicious.

Here are those two files you wanted attached - note, this is before I add the usb fix to the one plist, I am going to do that now and try the terminal thing you suggested, as well as log into my bios.

My CPU is a single core 2.4 Ghz AMD 3800+ 64-bit Athlon, I think. More specifically, I THINK it's the Venice version of the processor. It is definitely 2.4 Ghz and a single core though.

My mobo bios seemingly isn't up to date (it's 1.20, whereas the top is 1.30), though the patching seems to be for an nVidia 5950 AGP card only (I should mention, and this actually could be important, my motherboard has both AGP and PCI-e slots. I only use the PCI-e these days.

The only ACPI setting I seem to have is ACPI HPET tables. They were disabled, and I enabled them. I've previously done this before with no change.

uname -a says: Darwin Andrew-Alexanders-iMac.local 10.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0 Tue Jul 27 15:35:59 EDT 2010; annappirtrvh v4 :xnu-1504.7.4/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

Let me get you my DSDT.aml.

Extra.zip

Your smbios.plist is broken, it sets a MacPro2,1 model identifier, but according to kernel.log your model identifier is an iMac model (Andrew-Alexanders-iMac). Verify this in About This Mac and System Profiler, the Chameleon default is iMac8,1 so that's probably what you have.

I'm not sure how much of an impact this has since you cannot use native power management anyway due to having an AMD CPU (this is set up according to model identifier). However, there's still a possibility that it could affect video card power management and play an important part in your slowdown issue - see: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1024

SMUUID is not needed with Chameleon 2.0 RC5, it pulls the Platform UUID from your BIOS and sets it automatically.

The same goes for the memory data you put there (Apple don't make RAM btw), all the memory stuff is auto-detected in 2.0 RC5

Replace your smbios.plist with this one, it sets the model identifier to MacPro3,1:smbios.plist.zip

I'm detecting a trend here - your com.apple.Boot.plist is corrupted and will not open with Apple's plist editor, it's not even recognized as a .plist file.

Use this (I've added EthernetBuiltIn and USBBusFix=y): com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

About the serial port - right, it was disabled on the 15th and then enabled again. I missed that, sorry for assuming the worst.

/EDIT

About sleepenabler - yes - use the forum search to learn more.

You're using this kernel: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...221599&st=0

If you look at the bottom of the post there appears to be an update to the kernel that could fix the CPU speed calculation issues mentioned in your kernel.log. Try installing this updated version - make sure to rename it to legacy_kernel as specified in your com.apple.Boot.plist.

Or you can name it 'test' and then boot with test -v to immediately see if there's any improvement over your existing kernel (the TSC error should be gone..or at least be different than the one in your kernel.log). Your call.

Here's my DSDT.dsl - I forget how to get the aml file. DSDT patching was difficult for me, because the program takes up a great deal of space and I had to use it only when I had graphics enabled, which made my mouse jerky and the computer slow.

If this isn't what you want, let me know how to get the aml file.

Your post has no attachments.

I don't know what utility you use but DSDTSE is ~13MB, El Coniglio's "DSDTEditor" is ~2MB.

/EDIT doh - you're obviously talking about screen space.

There's also a perl script floating around that extracts your DSDT and saves it to the desktop.

Paste and run in terminal. This doesn't take up any space at all (disk or screen space!).

perl -e 'open(CMD, "ioreg -lw0 \| grep DSDT|") or die; while(<CMD>) { chomp; if($_ =~ /\"DSDT\.?\d?\"=<([^>]*)>/) { $buff = $1; open(PIP, "|xxd -r -p > ~/Desktop/dsdt.aml") or die; print
PIP "$1"; } }'

(thanks mald0n)

Going to install the new com.apple.Boot.plist and the smbios.plist files, as well as try the kernel from that thread - I'll be honest, that's the thread I got it from when I updated to 10.6.4, and it's probably the same link, but no harm in trying.

And by space I meant screen space, not disk space, sorry.

I can only consistently get a normal speed computer in OSX at 800x600 resolution on DVI. Sometimes 1280x960 (I think that's what it is) in VGA. As I'm on DVI right now (to troubleshoot), programs that take up more than 800x600 (like DSDTSE) are hard to use.

Sorry about the attachment, apparently if it wasn't zipped it wouldn't upload. That's the .dsl file that I get when I click compile my DSDT.

I'm also booting into Windows to post this, as I didn't work to get my wireless internet working on the computer yet - the graphics issue seemed like priority to me.

Installed both of the plists, about to test.

Also, I think the usb fix line may be screwing up my mouse - it doesn't even seem to work at all most of the time when I log into OSX - and that's true for both my wireless and my wired mouse.

dsdt.zip

Yeah, the types of files you can attach are limited. That's why I keep telling you to zip things.

I fixed the compiling errors/warnings, removed some devices that OS X doesn't use (MIDI/game port, floppy controller, parallel port etc) and I did the standard IRQ fixes. A lot more can be done (such as fixing your USB ports probably) but I'm not that good at DSDT patching. Well, at patching other people's DSDTs anyway. :)

dsdt.aml goes in /Extra. dsdt.aml.zip

Here's your com.apple.Boot.plist with USBBusFix removed and only EHCIacquire=y set.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Replace the previous one, reboot and check your kernel.log to see if the USB EHCI ownership error messages are gone.

Ok, replaced my plist files and put a new sleepenabler.kext into my extras/extensions folder. INTERESTING reaction.

First time I booted up, the screen kept flickering like crazy, wouldn't start.

Second time booting up, the mouse occasionally worked fine, occasionally freaked out worse than before, and even reversed directions. Also, the screen still occasionally flickered.

Not sure if that's any help or not.

That's weird, I don't know why it would do that.

I'm so glad I have Intel hardware, this topic reminds me why I normally don't try to help AMD peeps.

My eyes are bleeding, I need to sleep. I'll be back later.

Meanwhile, try the DSDT, read back in the topic and try things you might have missed earlier.

Mouse not working, I may do a complete reinstall and try the DSDT.aml with the new com.apple.Boot.plist. Not sure exactly what procedure caused the mouse to stop.

I want to note that I replaced my old SMBIOS, and the flashing is gone. I THINK we might have something there, but I'm not sure. The mouse alternated between going completely crazy, and rational, normal speeds. Graphics were still slow, and got screwed up with the new SMBIOS.

This is quite the mystery, isn't it?

Are you saying that you used my smbios.plist and the flashing stopped, or that you went back to your old smbios.plist and the flashing stopped?

Yes, it's very strange, I have never heard anything like it.

The mouse acting like that says IRQ problems to me, I wish you would try the DSDT that I made before reinstalling.

I went back to my old smbios and the flashing stopped. The DSDT is installed. The mouse isn't working (I THINK that's unrelated to the DSDT). Screen seems slow still, but I can't be 100% certain of that. Everything is graphically laggy. The mouse would sometimes go normal speed with your smbios, and sometimes it would freak out, go the opposite direction of the one I pushed it towards, and just straight flip out and fly across the screen.

Try deleting AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext from /System/Library/Extensions.

Go to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and trash Extensions.mkext as well. Then reboot and let me know if it changes anything.

Don't reinstall OS X just yet - if you're prepared to reinstall you might as well keep experimenting with your existing install, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Well I've reinstalled (always after a clean format) at least two dozen times, and I back up every program I've gotten to try to fix this on my Windows partition, so it doesn't bother me to reinstall - I haven't gotten OSX to work, really, because of this issue.

I'll do what you say.

Well, deleted those two. No change. I plugged my mouse in another usb port, OSX now recognizes it again (it wasn't when we started playing with it), and there's a slowdown. In better news, OSX recognizes all of my USB stuff now.

I don't think it's an IRQ conflict issue. I think the jerky mouse is the symptom of a graphical issue. ALL of the graphics are slow. The dock takes a while to come up, whenever an authentication box comes up, it is slow. Everything is laggy. That's not true when graphics drivers are not installed.

Yeah don't do that, NVDAResman is required for hardware accelerated graphics to work.

It's weird that you get the flickering with the MacPro3,1 smbios.plist only.

Your old smbios.plist is not working at all, the MacPro2,1 model identifer doesn't get applied (kernel.log says 'iMac')

It would be nice to know what causes your USB ports to work better now.

I hope it's the DSDT because then at least all of this was good for something. :)

Maybe it could be useful if you posted the output of kextstat -k. This will show which kernel extensions are loaded on your system.

I'm out of ideas for now. Hopefully someone else will step in with some suggestions.

Good Luck.