Broadcom440x Problems after 10.6.5 Update

alexaffonso

34 posts in this topic

Hello you all! Recently I update my system to 10.6.5 via Combo Update and everything's working fine, except for AppleBCM440xEthernet.kext.

The only way I can make it work is setting maxmem=1024 at apple.com.Boot.plist. But I need to use all my 4GB installed RAM and when I disable maxmem=1024 the Ethernet board is not even recognized by the new system.

Does anyone has any clue on that? I tried every BCM440x kext I found here and there, some generate Kernel Panic, some doesn't do anything and some makes my system delays its boot forever.

I'd appreciate any feedback from you!

Thanks in advance.

My 10.6.5 tells me that I have a new ethernet card on en1. And soon as I click Ok my cursor changes to the beach ball and the system becomes unresponsive and I have to shutdown/power up by the power button.

If I use terminal: "ifconfig en1 up" the same happens.

Any ideas how to fix this?

My 10.6.5 tells me that I have a new ethernet card on en1. And soon as I click Ok my cursor changes to the beach ball and the system becomes unresponsive and I have to shutdown/power up by the power button.

If I use terminal: "ifconfig en1 up" the same happens.

Any ideas how to fix this?

I had the same problem. It recognized my new Ethernet at en1 and when I tried to activate it... You know! Force shutdown!

Then I uninstalled AppleBCM440xEthernet.kext and everything goes well (without LAN connection at all). I'm currently using the Airport to connect to the Internet, but I really need Ethernet to work back again... But I don't whatelse I can do to fix it.

No. It never worked. I disabled the sleep into system preferences. And when I shutdown, the power does not shutdown completely. I need to hold the power button 'till it turns off. Do you have the same issue?

Could you tell me what works and what does not work on your Vostro?

I have an Inspiron 1520, NOT a Vostro.

In 10.6.4 everything worked except for shutdown, I could not get that to work.

Now in 10.6.5 shutdown still doesn't work, sleep doesn't work cause of sleepenabler kext and the broadcom 440x ethernet card doesn't work either.

What works: speed stepping(voodoopowemini), wifi, card reader(voodoosdhc), audio(voodoohda), ps2 keyboard and touchpad with 2 finger scrool(some voodoo kexts), webcam, bottery power meter(some voodoo kext), everything on usb, video card. Did I miss something?

For me right now the ethernet ans sleep is more important then the shutdown.

I have an Inspiron 1520, NOT a Vostro.

In 10.6.4 everything worked except for shutdown, I could not get that to work.

Now in 10.6.5 shutdown still doesn't work, sleep doesn't work cause of sleepenabler kext and the broadcom 440x ethernet card doesn't work either.

What works: speed stepping(voodoopowemini), wifi, card reader(voodoosdhc), audio(voodoohda), ps2 keyboard and touchpad with 2 finger scrool(some voodoo kexts), webcam, bottery power meter(some voodoo kext), everything on usb, video card. Did I miss something?

For me right now the ethernet ans sleep is more important then the shutdown.

Great!

In 10.6.4, on my Vostro 1500 with nVidia 8400M GS 128MB, shutdown never worked. And I've never installed voodopowermini before. I'll try it out. What exactly does it do with speed step? What should I expect? I had an issue that when on battery power, my system was recognized as Core2Duo 1.1GHz and on power adpater it was correctly loadd as 2GHz.

What worked before update to 10.6.5:

• Audio (VoodooHDA)
  • Keyboard and Trackpad (VoodooPS2Controller)
  • Battery Power Meter (VoodooBattery)
  • USB (Origihal IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorage)
  • Graphics Card (GraphicEnabler=Yes at apple.com.Boot.plist)
  • WiFi (Airport)
  • Ethernet LAN (AppleBCM440xEthernet)
  • Webcam
  • VGA and S-Video Output only for Extended Desktop (No mirroring at all)

After 10.6.5 I had to update to some new VoodooHDA kext from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.4 for audio, IOUSBFamily kext for USB, but for Ethernet there was no solution.

Well, I guess I didn't forget anything.

Just tell me more about SpeedStep, please! why should I use it? And I'll make some research about SleepEnabler. Mine doesn't work either.

For solving my ethernet problem, I found a kext file, added it to /system/library/extensions/ and it worked great.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;?do=findComment&comment=1583542

The zip file LegacyAppleYukon2.kext.zip is at the bottom of the second post from this link.

Good luck,

E

The page for this link is not working... What's the correct post URL?

Ddd max_valid_dma_addr=1024 to kernel flags. b44 has problems with dma maping after 1gb.

It worked! That's it!

Thanks Ivik.

Gurde, try it too! I think it can be the solution for you too.

I added max_valid_dma_addr=1024 to kernel flags at apple.com.Boot.plist and now the Ethernet connecton works great! I'll test stability, but I guess it's all ok!

Now I only need to know what VoodooSDHC kext you use for the card reader to work too. Could you send me yours, please? None I found really works on my Vostro 1500.

I'll attach a kext for SD as soon as I get home.

Adding that kernel flag doesn't that limit your system memory to 1GB? Correct me if I'm wrong.

PS: if looking for sleep enabler check out my other posts on the topic, I got a working one :(

I'll attach a kext for SD as soon as I get home.

Adding that kernel flag doesn't that limit your system memory to 1GB? Correct me if I'm wrong.

No. I still have my system at full 4GB memory. And the Ethernet LAN is working great! What limits your system memory is maxmem=1024 on kernel flags.

It coulld be done. Linux and freebsd use bounce buffers to read/write from high to low mem and back. but this is also slow.

You have to copy data.

Apparently the chip cannot handle any DMA address greater than 1GB=>hardware limitation.

Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. It is well known problem.

For me, sometimes worked for days if it didn't lockup after about ten minutes.

I think it depends on when driver is loaded and dma is initialized. If u were lucky, and dma was under 1GB, then it worked.

I had also a lot of luck when it was loaded from Extra.

Use 10.6.4 IONetworking familiy if that worked better for you.

What is problem with max_valid_dma_addr=1024 for you?

I wouldn't like to set that as a boot flag. It bugs me.

Isn't there any other solutions for this?

I can't believe that in 10.6.4 worked and now in 10.6.5 doesn't. It's not logical. It must be another way to make it work like before.