1 reply to this topic

Quactaur

Quactaur

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hello all,

I've not been on here for a while due to college work, but am currently using OSX on my 311 again. Thanks a lot to Lemaurien and the developers for all the progress you've made on the retail pack!

I'm currently having some serious, and irritating, issues with my wireless.

I bought an atheros ar928 (which reports as such in system profiler). Though it worked for a long time back home without any problems, since I've been using it at my unviersity, I find the connection occasionally dropping out (the wireless signal indicator goes from a connected black to a searching bar).

Once this happens there is nothing I can do to get the signal back apart from putting the machine to sleep and waking it up again. Turning airport off and on, or just waiting, shows no wireless networks (despite me being right next to my base station) and even putting the machine to sleep often leads to the problem re-occurring within 10 seconds.

I have found that, while the connection may drop out at any point, it almost *always* does so when I am downloading a file and transferring a lot of date. I have tried everything I can think of (limiting my bandwidth from 3 Megabytes to 500 kilobytes; changing the MTU to smaller values; deleting wireless settings and using the -v -f flags) but still can't work it out.

Has anyone experienced this issue themselves or know a way to solve it? It's not the absolute end of the world, but being unable to even download system updates or stream video without my connection dropping out until a restart is really starting to annoy me.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

JBraddock

JBraddock

Ph.D (Can) in Human Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Hello all,

I've not been on here for a while due to college work, but am currently using OSX on my 311 again. Thanks a lot to Lemaurien and the developers for all the progress you've made on the retail pack!

I'm currently having some serious, and irritating, issues with my wireless.

I bought an atheros ar928 (which reports as such in system profiler). Though it worked for a long time back home without any problems, since I've been using it at my unviersity, I find the connection occasionally dropping out (the wireless signal indicator goes from a connected black to a searching bar).

Once this happens there is nothing I can do to get the signal back apart from putting the machine to sleep and waking it up again. Turning airport off and on, or just waiting, shows no wireless networks (despite me being right next to my base station) and even putting the machine to sleep often leads to the problem re-occurring within 10 seconds.

I have found that, while the connection may drop out at any point, it almost *always* does so when I am downloading a file and transferring a lot of date. I have tried everything I can think of (limiting my bandwidth from 3 Megabytes to 500 kilobytes; changing the MTU to smaller values; deleting wireless settings and using the -v -f flags) but still can't work it out.

Has anyone experienced this issue themselves or know a way to solve it? It's not the absolute end of the world, but being unable to even download system updates or stream video without my connection dropping out until a restart is really starting to annoy me.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

I don't own this card but am planing to buy one for my HP HDX. Generally speaking, it seems to me that either there is a problem with the driver or the encryption. For example, if you did update the OSX recently, then it is likely that there is problem with the recent driver. Second thing that pops into my head is that perhaps, the encryption of your university connection is not quite supported by the card. If you have access to the router you can try different combinations of encryption and see what happens. If it happens only with your university connection then I'd put money to the latter one.

BTW, I know that some people tape the pin 20 of wireless card in order to prevent it from shutting down itself. May be your wireless card loses the power and being turned off.

I may have stated the obvious but there it is.

Good Luck,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy