Osx86, Some Thoughts

Alessandro17

1 post in this topic

OK, now you are here.

Before starting, you should ask yourself some questions.

Are you aware that OS X was NOT created for PCs (it was created for Macs, made by Apple Inc.)?

That means that, depending on your hardware, it is going to be a little to a lot more difficult (sometimes impossible) than installing Windows or an easy Linux distro, which were made to support most of your hardware.

Next ask yourself why you want OS X on your PC. Because you heard that it can be done? Because you saw it on a friend's PC and you liked it? Because it is cool? I wonder if such reasons are good enough, there are so many operating systems which were created for PCs and can be installed with a lot less fuss... but it is up to you.

Do you want to do it because you really need to run apps which wouldn't run on Windows? With other words, do you need a Mac professionally? Personally in that case I'd buy a real Mac, because on top of my job I wouldn't want the extra burden of maintaining a hackintosh. And no, Macs aren't necessarily that expensive. A Mac Mini, a MacBook, an iMac are reasonably priced these days.

And you can always buy a second hand one.

Next ask yourself how much you know about computers in general.

Have you ever installed an OS? What do you know about the BIOS, EFI, partitions, the MBR and bootloaders (and fixing them), backing up your partition/data, using a search engine (yes, even that is important)...

Danger! If you lack basic computer skills you could destroy all data on your computer.

In any case backup your data and make sure you have plenty of recovery bootable CDs/DVDs before you start (Windows install CD/DVD or Windows recovery discs, tools like Acronis Recovery Expert (it recovers a partition even if it has been formatted...)

And how much do you know about hardware?

If your answer is "very little" my honest advice would be: learn more, install other operating systems, build a computer of your own (the final assembly could be done by somebody else, what really matters is learning how to choose the parts) and then come back. But of course it is up to you.

If after all those considerations you still want to go ahead, a final thought: there is a learning curve involved, you'll need time, money, "love" (for this project, of course :) ).

If you are in short supply of one of the above (especially a strong wish to learn), it is unlikely that you'll succeed.

And finally please remember that laptops are more difficult than a desktop you build yourself for this project. Expect several features not to work. Far too often, when I read: "what is the best laptop for OS X?" I am tempted to reply: "a MacBook". It might sound like a silly, obvious reply, but everybody who has ever tried to install OS X on a PC laptop and then has bought a MacBook, knows how true that is. On a PC laptop you'll never enjoy the full experience. You won't even get near.

Now you have decided that you want to go on.

First of all, welcome.

We hope you stay with us for a while and you don't just "hit and run" :)

Please, please, read our rules:

http://www.insanelym...tion=boardrules

Also please remember that we are all unpaid volunteers here, thus statements like "Nobody helps here?" are not welcome.

Learn how to search, most of your possible questions have already been asked countless times.

Further reading:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=106647

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=230223

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=117970

Final note. If your main aim is to revive old hardware, you are in the wrong place. For this project it is recent, compatible hardware which works best. Older hardware might not work at all or might require an awful lot of effort. For your old hardware you should choose a Linux distro.

Edited by Allan
Text formatting.
  • Like 14