Simple Broadcom Wirless Tutorial

sportman

147 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Hi all unfortuantely I am having problems with a new Dell TrueMobile 1400 (Broadcom BCM4309MP) on a Dell D600. I've added the <string>pci14e4,4309</string> to the IO80211Family.kext in the appropriate spot, and also tried modifying the NetworkInterfaces.plist with en0, en1, & en2 each time with no luck. Repaired permissions, multiple reboots. Not detecting wireless card. It works in Windows XP and I've made sure it's enabled in BIOS, but still no luck. Been spending hours reading through forums on this, does anyone have any ideas/steps to share they did with this exact card (or similar) to get it to work? Would be highly grateful. This is on a Kalyway 10.5.2 install.

EDIT: and BTW, yes I definitely followed all steps on the first post on the tutorial as well as searched MANY other forums about this and finally am posting . I'm wondering if there is maybe a different method that needs to be followed in Leopard vs. Tiger?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Broadcom Wireless Tutorial

Kext Used

The kext used for this tutorial is the IO80211Family.kext. This kext needs to be put into /System/Library/Extensions/ if it is not already there.

Entering your device ID

• Make a backup of IO80211Family.kext
  • Edit the .plist file

• Once editing the plist navigate to the area where you see

• Add a line with dev id (in place of XXXX)

Setting Permissions

• Type these commands into terminal

Final touches (Optional)

• edit the interface config in order to use the airport utility instead of istumbler.

• swap the en0 with en1 for that device.
  • Run disk util and repair perms
  • Please note that you may need to change the number to en2 if you have 2 onbaord pci lan cards.

Sometimes your network card is already configured as an airport device and you do not need to swap the en #

I have a linksys wpc600n broadcom chipset but above where it says "Add a line with dev id (in place of XXXX)"

don't know where to find the dev id any help would be apprieciated

I've got a problem connecting to my home network, but with the AirPort configuration program i succeeded in creating a WLAN network which is "seen" by my notebook, which is running windows vista.

Network Card: Netgear WN311B (PCI)

Router: Netgear DG834NB

Security options:

MAC Filter (this shouldn't be the Problem, cause with windows vista, which is also installed on my computer i can connect easily to this network)

Mac OSX 10.5.5 (iDeneb v1.3 release) also shows the same MAC Adress for the network device as windows vista does.

WPA/WPA2 personal combination mode.

I followed the guide and added "<string>pci14e4, 4329</string>" to the kext file (this is what vista shows me in the device manager). The only problem was that i got an error while setting the permissions...

thanks for help, lg Bummskopf

Edit: after trying to access a network with my old router the zyxel prestige 660hw with no security options at all, i found out that it is working with it.

then i tried again with the netgear router, now with ssid broadcasting activated, the result was that i can see the network but not connect. Cause of this reason i removed the MAC Adress Filter, but it did not work (not a surprise).

This brought me to the conclusion that it is the WPA/WPA2 personal combination mode...

Does somebody know how i can access en encrypted network like this with Mac OS X?^^

Another question: when i was connected to the old zyxel router my network utility said that the standards a,b,g are supported, is this because it is this router? (this router does not support n draft, but my card WN311B does) i read about that in another thread but i cant find it anymore.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have one big problem :shock: I have Broadcom BCM4328 wireless card, but I cant connect to any network, I cant even see any network... What should I do now? Maybe someone have solution? :/

System Profiler says:

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type:	AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x88)
 Wireless Card Locale:	USA
 Wireless Card Firmware Version:	Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)
 Current Wireless Network:	wireless network not available

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

im using the ideneb distro of leopard, and when i get to the part where it says to execute

"kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions",

it will sit for a second, then say

"kextcache: /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/com.apple.kext.info.vV2Z - Permission denied"

so, whats with that? how do i fix it?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry, but i followed the tutorial with perfect success and i still am not able to set up my internet. I go to Network Diagnostics and It says all the things failed on the left. And i don't even understand the Network tab in System Config. Please help. I am running iATKOS v7 on an NV Series Gateway computer with a Broadcom Ethernet Card with a Dev ID of 1698.

Sorry, but i followed the tutorial with perfect success and i still am not able to set up my internet. I go to Network Diagnostics and It says all the things failed on the left. And i don't even understand the Network tab in System Config. Please help. I am running iATKOS v7 on an NV Series Gateway computer with a Broadcom Ethernet Card with a Dev ID of 1698.

• 1 month later...

i think your problem is that this is for wireless m8, though i could be wrong ive not read everything but i looked at the title an it says quote "Replying to Simple Broadcom Wirless Tutorial"

thing is ive followed this to a T and got nothing out of it ;) going for a new card . unless of course someone can post me a kext file from their working system please do so if you got yours working .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello,

I recently installed Jas 10.5.4 on a Dell Inspiron 8500 SSE2. I installed Jas 10.4.6 prior to this release and noticed my wireless card worked without issues. This release is showing a major struggle w/ making the wireless work. I have tried numerous attempts, but am still without wireless. Ethernet works perfect and is recognized properly. I have used osx86 tools to find out it is a broadcom bcm4306 card. I have tried the bcm_xx script update located on here and noticed that when running the script in terminal, it states that it cannot find the broadcom kext in the io80211 family kext. The script looks like it installs, but upon reboot there is no difference. In all of my attempts, I somehow found that it looks as though the OS is recognizing my card as an atheros card. I have tried multiple solutions including taking the io80211 kext from the 10.4.6 disc and replacing it in 10.5.4, but to no avail. I have read multiple threads, but nothing that seems to point to my theory that an atheros driver was somehow installed instead of a broadcom driver. maybe i am wrong, but I think that is my problem. I reinstalled the 10.5.4 release from scratch and made sure to only select the broadcom driver at custom install. Still no joy.... ANY HELP WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED!!

Thanks,

B.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello Everybody!

Can Anyone help me to configure my broadcom bcm43225 ? i've tried this guide but it seems it does not work for me. the vendor id is 14e4 dev id 4357. I've already put the correct line in both the AppleAirPortBrcm43.... files.

Any suggest?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

After completeing all instructions to the letter, I got my BCM 4318 to recognise teh wireless network, but it can't access the web. :censored2:

I did the optional stuff in the networkinterface.plist but it keeps resetting back to en0 after reboot

any thoughts?

same problem and ontop of that i get that i cannot use the extension as it wasnt installed properly :/ any update on this now possibly old ish thread please, awesome work btw

thanks for anything anyone can do .

• 9 months later...