Simple Broadcom Wirless Tutorial

sportman

147 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me if the Dell wireless 1505 works ? (I really need to know because i want to buy something that works well but Dell dont have the Wireless 1500 cards anymore... )

Think it'll detect the dell wireless 1505?

• 2 weeks later...

After getting my Broadcom 4318 card recognized, I figured I was in the clear but I couldn't see any networks. I ended up messing around until it was no longer recognized and trying other stuff.

What ended up working for me was running the Wireless Support package attached on the first page of this thread, but on reboot I got an error. Then I trashed the two kext cache files in System/Library/ and repaired permissions with Disk Utility. After rebooting, the wireless is working like a charm.

I always forget what I need to do to get wireless working on my Dell x1 with a Broadcom.

If you have applied the Jas wireless patches (attached to post earlier in the thread) and you get the baseball diamond, and the card recognised in the system profiler, but get an error saying that the card isn't turned on, do the following in a terminal:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

You want to edit these lines:

<key>BSD Name</key>

---> <string>en0</string> (Change the en0 to en1)

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

---> <integer>0</integer> (Change the 0 to 1)

If they are already set to en1 and 1, then that's not your problem and I don't know how to help you.. But for me, then when I rebooted, I was able to configure AirPort in a snap. BTW, in nano, to exit and save the file, just press Ctrl-X, then if the filename printed there is correct, just press enter.

This should fix the en0/1 issue. It works for me every time.

• 4 weeks later...
Broadcom Wireless Tutorial

Kext Used

The kext used for this tutorial is the IO80211Family.kext. This kext needs to be put into /System/Library/Extensions/ if it is not already there.

Entering your device ID

• Make a backup of IO80211Family.kext
  • Edit the .plist file

• Once editing the plist navigate to the area where you see

• Add a line with dev id (in place of XXXX)

Setting Permissions

• Type these commands into terminal

Final touches (Optional)

• edit the interface config in order to use the airport utility instead of istumbler.

• swap the en0 with en1 for that device.
  • Run disk util and repair perms
  • Please note that you may need to change the number to en2 if you have 2 onbaord pci lan cards.

Sometimes your network card is already configured as an airport device and you do not need to swap the en #

GREAT Tutorial MAN!!!!!!!!!

Just got wifi going(again) on my HP NX6125 - PZ895UA#ABA and love you guys gosh darnit! Thanks for making the tutorial nice and easy for us noobs... any 6125 users I gotta point out we use 4319 (partly so I remember myself since i dont plan on ever using windows on this laptop EVER AGAIN).

You are all YODA!

May the Force be with you!

midireebs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How can I find the device id for my network card? I dont have windows loaded and don't know where or how to find it. if anyone can give me some insight on this it would be wonderful. I previously had osx 10.4.8 loaded and somehow got my wireless card to work but i dont remember how i managed to find the id and get it to work. I just installed leopard but had some problems and had to start from scratch before getting it to work. Thanks!

Help!!! I was being stupid and had to erase my drive and start over. I previously had 10.4.8 installed and somehow got my linksys wireless N PCI card to work perfectly but I have no idea how I managed to get it to work. I reinstalled and have tried everything and still can't even get the baseball diamond to appear. In the ioreg it lists the card as pci14e4, 4329. which i'm hoping is right. Any help here would be terrific I'm starting to tear my hair out and i think a teardrop just hit my keyboard. Thanks!

Finally got mine working after few tries, 10.4.8 on compaq laptop

deleted e line <string>pci14e4,4311</string>

then re-entered e abv line at end of list

followed rest of tutorial n also changed en0 to en1

also integer 0 to 1

then followed rest of tutorial, reboot

now everything works ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm new to the os x on pc scene. I recently installed Leopard on my intel centrino duo. Everything works fine ( ethernet, sound) except my built in wireless which is intel 3945 abg. Reading this forum I found out that it is not supported yet and a wireless card with a broadcom chipset will work. I got myself a motorola wn825g which has broadcom chipset in it and I found out that the pciid is 4320. I looked at the install guide at the beginning of this thread and before doing anything I checked to see what I have. The Info.plist file in AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext already has an entry for 4320. I did the sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions and kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions and rebooted. I still don't have wireless. The NetworkInterfaces.plist has an entry for en0 which is my ehternet, an entry for en1 which is for the builtin wireless card and no entry for the external network card. I appreciate any help to configure the wireless card

• 2 weeks later...

HP DV1659us Wireless fix

I have a HP DV1659US, which I have dumped the 3945abg card mini PCI-E and replaced with a Broadcom - comes up with vendor 14e4, device 4312. It DID not work initially using Leopard 10.5.1, but it now does - typing this with it. I know the card was working as I got it running under Windows XP dual boot - so no hardware issues

My answer was: Download the 2007 02 Extreme Airport support dmg http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/air...ate2007002.html from Apple site. Install it with Pacifist, as you can't install it since it says Not compatible - but you can tell Pacifist to install it. That then killed both ethernet and wireless. I then had to reinstall using Pacifist, the Leopard /System/Library/Private Frameworks/80211 Framework . Delete Extensions.mkext, restart with -f -v and it has now popped up and connected. It doesn't easily connect to WEP - you have to fiddle around with the keys on the Network Preferences , but it works. Very happy as I now have all working apart, native 10.5.1 Leopard. Just need some sound input.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can someone tell me if the Dell wireless 1505 works ? (I really need to know because i want to buy something that works well but Dell dont have the Wireless 1500 cards anymore... )

Think it'll detect the dell wireless 1505?

Dell Wireless Truemobile 1505 worked OOTB on my Dell Lappy

Dell Wireless Truemobile 1505 worked OOTB on my Dell Lappy

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone knows why my wireless is not detected in my Leopard 10.5.1 which is a Dell Turemobile 1390 Card and I can read its pci id 4315 in WinXP. I have a XPS m1530 Laptop. I need your help now. Thanks so much! And there is even no en0 or en1 in my NetworkInterfaces.plist since I cannot drive my Ethernet card.

Thanks in tons !!!

Did you follow the first post guide?

Because your device id is not in the latest IO80211Family.kext

I modified the IO80211 kext and add 4315 in the kext however nothing happens. And there are even no en0 or en1 choices for me to modify in NetworkInterfences...

posted on the dell xps thread, but also wanted to post here. praying to find a solution.

i have a dell xps m1330 with a successful kalyway 10.5.1 install. problem is, wifi will NOT work. the card i have is the dell 1490 card. i checked the kexts and did NOT have the IO802.11family.kext file when installed for some reason, uninstalled / reinstalled 4 times, still didnt work. so i think downloaded the file, and installed it, yet still not working. most people say this card works OTB so i am very confused, and sad i cannot make it work. ANY advice would be awsome. i dont want to have to go back to vista full time :(