M11X R1 Snow Leopard 10.6.4 install guide.

ctn777

27 posts in this topic

Due to popular requests, I've decided to do a short write up.

First off, I don't own a m11x anymore, I'm about to buy a Macbook Air actually.

Secondly, this is mainly thanks to the great knowledge on InsanelyMac and other similar forums, I couldn't have done it on my own !

These are the steps I took to get 10.6.4 and all software updates on my M11X.

I may have left out some steps, if I remember I'll put them in.

Almost everything works.

Here's an picture of QE working. I had BT turned off and sound muted but they work, I also used InsanelyMac's wallpaper :hysterical:

m11x-SL2.jpg

I have provided my entire extra directory and the kexts I used.

Everything I used will be in one of the two files:

Kexts: M11X Kexts.zip

Extras: Extra.zip

Install Mac OS X 10.6.0

- Create 10.6.0 install flash disk

- Run NetbookBootMaker_0.8.4RC1fix.zip on the install flash disk

- make sure to set the following in the bios:

- Switchable graphics - Enabled (doesn't like discrete when installing)

- Usb Emulation - Enabled (so it detects the flash disk)

- Install

I'm not sure if this should be enabled here. Make sure Switchable graphics is set to Discrete for CE/CI and Usb Emulation - Disabled

One more thing to note, these 2 settings have a tendency to reset to defaults and you will need to go into the bios to set them again every reboot. Not sure why this is the case.

Post install

- run NetbookInstaller 20100616212351.app.zip on the boot drive

- check chameleon

- check general extensions

- check show Extra

- run Chameleon RC5 (optional)

- delete the 1201n dsdt from the extra directory.

- copy m11x dsdt to extra directory

- copy com.apple.Boot.plist to the extra directory

- copy sleepenabler.kext to extras/General Extensions

- remove Nvenabler.kext from extras (critical to get QE/CI working)

- add 0xcaf to nvhdamh50.kext in SLE (don't think this is required)

- install 10.6.4 combo update but don't restart.

- trim SLE (delete unneeded ATI kexts) so it's under 256meg. Should be fixed in the latest NBI.

- updateextras

- reboot

This should 100% be enabled here. Make sure Switchable graphics is set to Discrete for CE/CI and Usb Emulation - Disabled

Post Install

Install the following kexts:

- voodooHDA via kext helper

- VoodooHDA prefPane

- voodooPowerMini via kext helper

- AtherosL1cEthernet.kext (LAN) via kext helper

- DellBluetoothHCI.1.2.pkg (Bluetooth) via the install package.

Bluetooth fix (Turn bluetooth on/off)

- edit IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/info.plist in SLE

- search for Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_37A

- replace the following with the product id and vendor id of the bluetooth card.

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>XXXXX</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>XXXXX</integer>

- save and run updateextras.

- Sorry I dont't have a m11x to check this anymore.

If trackpad does not work run Kext Utility.

- I duplicated the GE directory into the E directory and ran Kext Utility.

If all else fails, just use my entire Extra directory.

What does not work:

- DW1520 / WiFi (buy a DW1510 wireless to fix this)

- SDHC slot

- Video switching

- Sleep (should be able to work but the proper kext but I didn't have time to try)

Random boot hang is also fixed in the com.apple.Boot.plist.

What works:

- QE/CI

- SD card

- trackpad

- usb 2.0

- vga out

- webcam + facetime

- audio

- bluetooth

- speedstep

- restart/shutdown

- fn keys

Not sure (I didn't have time to test but I don't see why it shouldn't work):

- Firewire

- HDMI

- DisplayPort.

If you find the guide useful, please leave a comment.

Hi!

Thanks for the guide.

Unafortunately, it seems not to work on my m11x r2. I cannot install retail copy of Mac, neither in DVD (I dont know why the external drive does not boot the double layer DVDs but then in windows they can be read, nor in flash USB. I make the flash, installed Netbookmaker, but when I boot it, a minute later it reboots (using -x -v cpus=1 busratio=20 -arch=i386).

I can only install Mac from iatkos s3 distro, but when I do, the USB ports and the trackpad do not work, so I cannot control the mouse for installing any kext or something like that.

Any idea how can I make trackpad or USB ports work without a mouse?

Thanks!

I've had that issue with the 10.6.3 retail DVD. The retail 10.6.0 works perfect.

Also make sure it is set to switchable not discrete. With USB emulation enabled for the installation.

Im not sure about the r2 but it works for the r1.

Also when booting from USB, it works better with the mouse unplugged, sometimes it doesn't detect the flash stick with the mouse plugged in.

Thanks for this! Really appreciate that help on getting this up and running ;)

I've had that issue with the 10.6.3 retail DVD. The retail 10.6.0 works perfect.

Also make sure it is set to switchable not discrete. With USB emulation enabled for the installation.

Also when booting from USB, it works better with the mouse unplugged, sometimes it doesn't detect the flash stick with the mouse plugged in.

So is this working for u r2 people? Thank so much!!!!!!

Does the backlight (not command center, just any keyboard backlight) work with either the OS or one of the programs that forces the macbook pros' on?

With the keyboard backlight, you'll need to boot up in Windows, set the lighting with the dell/alienware software and it'll stay when using Mac Os.

With the r2, I suspect your biggest issue would be the dual video cards being on at the same time.

It's easier if you can disable the integrated like the r1.

Thanks, fixed!

Where do you actually install the drivers for the GPU?

I'm trying to incorporate your methods into my iAtkos installation and can't figure out where your GPU drivers are coming from.

EDIT: nevermind, got it, thank you!

No problem, glad it worked out for you !

Hi Guys

Just about to place an order for the M11x i7 (I assume this is the R2), can someone confirm that by disabling the on board GFX in bios and only using the GT335 that i will get accelerated graphics i.e. qe/ci Enabled

Also does the wireless work when replaced by the DW1510.

Thanks

Hezzy

EDIT: just checked the manual for the R2 version and it is not possible to disable the on board GFX in Bios. This means that there will ne no support for QE/CI.

Need to find a way of disabling the onboard intel GFX!!!!!

My machine is due to be delivered early Dec.

Hi Guys

Just about to place an order for the M11x i7 (I assume this is the R2), can someone confirm that by disabling the on board GFX in bios and only using the GT335 that i will get accelerated graphics i.e. qe/ci Enabled

Also does the wireless work when replaced by the DW1510.

Thanks

Hezzy

EDIT: just checked the manual for the R2 version and it is not possible to disable the on board GFX in Bios. This means that there will ne no support for QE/CI.

Need to find a way of disabling the onboard intel GFX!!!!!

My machine is due to be delivered early Dec.

hezzy,

I'm wondering the same thing... if this gets answered, I will immediately buy an R2.

I still want to contribute though, even though I don't have the m11x r2 or the r1 for that matter, so I found these sites, and I hope this will help someone find a way to disable the onboard video card so that qe / ci will work.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alienware_M11x#Video

scroll down to the video section:

and there will a link, that will take you here:

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/...ia-optimus.html

so if someone can use this code to create a custom kext that we can load into ctn777's method then the r2 will be working and all will be good!

somebody please report back after trying

also someone mentioned that FCP won't work due to not recognizing the video card upon startup, can someone please confirm this? - or post a workaround?

Hi Filmshoot,

after playing around a little bit with my M11X R2, and googling around , I can to the conclusion that Nvidea will not be supporting the optimus in linux so no linux on this machine, apple use their own switching between the onboard GFX and the Nvidea, so we will not be able to use the apple KEXT to get support for QE/CI on the R2 versions unless someone really clever finds a way of switching between the GFX.

I then rang Dell and asked them to take my M11X R2 back on the grounds that here is no linux support for it.

I have now placed an order for the M11X R1 (this is £400 cheaper) which allows the switching of the GFX cards in bios and hope to Dual boot Windows and OSX.

I have also purchsed the DW1510 wireless card and will replace the stock DW5120 to get the wireless working.

once the machine arrives i will install OSX and report back my findings.

I may be wrong but do believe that we will not get QE/CI on the R2 models hence sending my back straight away. I also read somewhere that apple have asked intel to make the i core processors without the onbaord GFX.

Hezzy

It's unlikely that this will work on the R2 I wouldn't recommend even buying an R2 over an R1 as I have both and after tweaking my R1 it's much better performance wise than the R2 auto switch graphics and the i5 is only slightly faster than the Core2 Duo SU7300 and my R1 out benchmarks my R2 in every class...

Also there should be an easy work around for the FX lighting there is a community java tool developed for Linux it should work on OSX as well I haven't tested it though

http://progger.co.uk/alienfx/AlienFXLite-0.4b.jar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was wondering, followed most of the cookbook, didn't add SleepEnabler.kext, didn't add 0xcaf to nvhdamh50.kext (not sure how to...boohoo!!!) and didn't trim the S/L/E for the ATI kexts...since it should have been fixed...the issue I'm having with my m11x r1 (with discrete graphics enabled) is that the system doesn't boot up ok all the times, many times it crashes with the screen that has the power-on button background), and sometimes it boots ok...have anyone experienced this? :)

I have also tries the method on http://kallaus.com (the page seems to be down lately - as of 2/21/11)...and same thing, system can't reliably boot up to OS level all the times...

Any ideas? thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

I've just recently gotten 10.6.7 installed on my M11X R1. It works flawlessly (including sleep - thanks to THEHAWKs). I've run into an issue with the NIC, however. I've tried several different versions of the atherosl1cethernet.kext, and though the NIC is recognized, and I can get an IP address through DHCP, I cannot get out to the internet. I get an IP from the router, but cannot ping the router, or do any kind of DNS resolution. I'm wondering if this is an issue because I'm running 10.6.7, and not 10.6.6 or earlier? I've not yet found any threads or discussion of 10.6.7 on the M11X R1, but it does work perfectly. So now, at the very least, I have a fully functional MacBook Air clone (due to non-working Ethernet), but if I can get the NIC working properly, it'll be more like a HackBook Pro.

Also, I've heard there's a patched x3100 kext you can use to make the GMA 4500HD graphics work? If so, you can then re-enable switchable graphics in the BIOS, and probably boost the battery life significantly, right?

Cheers!

P.S. If anyone needs help getting 10.6.7 on their R1 (not sure about R2 and up), please let me know, and I'll try my best.

• 1 month later...

First of all thanks for the wonderful guide! I almost got iatkos s3 v2 working. I did as the tutorial says, and updated the system to 10.6.6 with combo update, but I do not know how to set up graphics. The resolution is still only 1024x768 and I cannot change it.

I have triple boot, Win 7, Ubuntu 10.04 and iatkos, with GRUB 2 as the main bootloader. I've tried messing up the grub (to support 1366x768 of the bat) but I didnt get far. I disabled integrated video in BIOS and I'm only using discrete graphics. Can anyone give any hints as how to set up the graphics?

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi I am a total noob at this and have tried following this method but cannot work out what SLE is?

And after the part that contains the instructions to trim SLE I rebooted without following the SLE instructions and now SL won't boot.

If I switch to discrete graphics it will say it needs to reboot by holding down the on/off button or i I set it to switchable then the loading circle doesn't come on at the apple screen.

Can someone please help??

PS I have an R1 maybe you could help me jasphair?