i just built a 12-core hackintosh

iamskwerl

16 posts in this topic

i totally winged it (with $5k, i'm apparently insane), but found this forum through google, specifically through MightyLedZepp's guide (i'm using the same motherboard).

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;mode=threaded

just wanted to share and get a conversation going. i'm amazed i've even gotten as far as i have... and it's pretty sweet!

here's the setup:

Mac OS 10.6.5 Build 10H568

ASUS Z8PE-D12(ASMB4-IKVM) SSI EEB 3.61 Server Motherboard

2 x Intel Xeon X5670 2.93GHz LGA 1366 95W Six-Core Server Processor

2 x COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

16 GB 1,066MHz ECC DDR3 SDRAM (4 x 4GB)

MSI Radeon HD 6870 R6870-2PM2D1GD5 Video Card with Eyefinity

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

here's where i'm at:

installed a dev build of 10.6.5 in the hopes to get support for the radeon 6870. no dice. so currently using the mobo's vga port for display. also, having trouble getting ethernet to work, but it sounds like if i can just find the controllers' uids per ledzepp's tip, i can get those working. connected via a tethered droid for now :D

aside from that though, everything is kicking ass. it boots so freaking fast with a ssd.

haven't bothered with wifi... more than fine with the gigabit ethernet if i can just get that working, since it's a giant tower and won't be moving around much :)

also, would be great to get the video card working. any kexts out there for radeon 6000 series?!?

found my ethernet device id: 0x10D38086

added that to the kext plist, and i have ethernet now!

http://download.intel.com/design/network/specupdt/82574.pdf

calling it a night for now. next step: video card.

if you've spent 5k I guess it would me more fun to get crossfire with 2 or 3 graphic cards =) that would surely be an unstoppable monster!!

yeah! not to break any hearts, but i won't be doing any gaming on this box. otherwise, that'd be so fun. the single 6870 might be a little more than i need, but i wanted a solid opengl gpu.

For video card you can use a gtx480...

There are no drivers for radeon 6xxx yet.

yeah, i'm really bummed the 10.6.5 build didn't bring the radeon 6xxx support... seems like it's just a matter of time:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/08...md.radeon.6000/

but i'm going to play around to see if it's a situation like the ethernet drivers, where you can activate support lying dormant or hidden from non-apple-supplied hardware. the gtx480 looks nuts, but it's also a lot more money, and i'm a little over budget already.

Jesus christ holy batman!

So, what's your geekbench score?

i've only ran geekbench once, when i got it working, and only in 32-bit mode because i didn't have a geekbench license. got 16942. that doesn't seem high, looking at the results browser. is it? that's with no gpu, but i'm not sure if that matters.

haven't done any tweaking to get it raging, besides splurging on the heatsinks. any recommendations?

really tried to get that radeon 6870 working today with the os x 10.6.5 drivers. no dice. going to switch to a sapphire 5850 which i know will work.

also, this is strange, but i just noticed that my 24 bit usb audio interface isn't showing up in the sound preference pane as an output device. have no idea why it wouldn't; it's always worked without any additional software installation on any pc or mac i've plugged it into. maybe it's because i have no other sound card or anything? maybe i need to fix a kext?

ok, got the audio working (not even sure how- installed voodoohda drivers which made it work but made the system crash while booting. reformatted and reinstalled osx from scratch, which fixed the crashing and somehow miraculously didn't lose sound).

Jesus christ holy batman!

So, what's your geekbench score?

i realized i was running in 32 bit the whole time. enabled 64 bit and got a geekbench score of 19187.

still no gpu. a sapphire 5770 is in the mail. that should work, right?

Nice build

ATI HD 5770 working

Have fun reading.

thanks.

got the 5770 and i'm working on it... had it working in windows, and then working on a completely fresh 10.6.3 install. then it disappeared when i upgraded to 10.6.4. very strange. went to do a system update and saw that 10.6.5 was released. figured that would solve it, but no dice.

trying to follow that guide, but when i try and save the bios with gpu-z, i get a dialog saying "bios not readable on this device." going to try windows 7 instead of xp just to see if that helps.

really tried to get that radeon 6870 working today with the os x 10.6.5 drivers. no dice. going to switch to a sapphire 5850 which i know will work.

Shame you couldn't get the 6870 working. The BARTS cards' device ids do appear in the ATIRadeonX3000.kext, as mentioned Here.

In fact, here they are from the release version of 10.6.5 (ATIRadeonX3000 v.1.6.24/Info.plist/IOKitPersonalities/ATIRadeonX3000/IOPCIMatch): 0x67281002 0x67291002 0x67381002 0x67391002

In your attempts did you try Kabyl's Chameleon r486? It would be nice to know what steps you tried (even the failed ones) so others can learn from your experiences.

Nice build BTW. Not too surprising it works as it's more like a recent Mac Pro than most others. Thanks for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Maybe someone here can help me.

i have Sapphire HD 5770 1 GB on Gigabyte EX58-UD5, and i cant make it working.

I tried lots of methods that i find here and other places and nothing work for me!

i always get black or the system not boot at all screen even with 32bit method.

May somebody give me a good guide to work with, i really want to make it work in 64 bit on 10.6.5.

Thank's!

• 1 month later...

Just so anyone wanting to use this motherboard, it works VERY well... I am running it with 12 cores, I have a Red Rocket, a Blackmagic Decklink HD card in it, and it is amazing in After effects and everything I throw at it....

I have everything working, except sleep, which I don't use anyway, because I like using Logmein. I even have the ASUS MIO-AUDIO 888 card working. I got it 99% vanilla. Just have to run 1 script that binary patches the AppleHDA file. Once it is updated by a Software update, just run it again......

Here is my EFI partition that has everything you need.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=85908

If you just need audio, see ,y sound post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=245085

• 3 months later...
i totally winged it (with $5k, i'm apparently insane), but found this forum through google, specifically through MightyLedZepp's guide (i'm using the same motherboard).

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;mode=threaded

just wanted to share and get a conversation going. i'm amazed i've even gotten as far as i have... and it's pretty sweet!

here's the setup:

Mac OS 10.6.5 Build 10H568

ASUS Z8PE-D12(ASMB4-IKVM) SSI EEB 3.61 Server Motherboard

2 x Intel Xeon X5670 2.93GHz LGA 1366 95W Six-Core Server Processor

2 x COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

16 GB 1,066MHz ECC DDR3 SDRAM (4 x 4GB)

MSI Radeon HD 6870 R6870-2PM2D1GD5 Video Card with Eyefinity

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

here's where i'm at:

installed a dev build of 10.6.5 in the hopes to get support for the radeon 6870. no dice. so currently using the mobo's vga port for display. also, having trouble getting ethernet to work, but it sounds like if i can just find the controllers' uids per ledzepp's tip, i can get those working. connected via a tethered droid for now ;)

aside from that though, everything is kicking ass. it boots so freaking fast with a ssd.

haven't bothered with wifi... more than fine with the gigabit ethernet if i can just get that working, since it's a giant tower and won't be moving around much ;)

also, would be great to get the video card working. any kexts out there for radeon 6000 series?!?

found my ethernet device id: 0x10D38086

added that to the kext plist, and i have ethernet now!

http://download.intel.com/design/network/specupdt/82574.pdf

calling it a night for now. next step: video card.

What kexts are you using? Can you upload your DSDT.amd file?