• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hello, I have an ASUS EEE 1005HAB netbook, and I want to install Snow Leopard on it. This has Windows 7 on it, and I want to preserve it. It came with a DVD that says its a Support DVD. When I boot up my USB install drive, I open up Disk Utility, it says that there is another partition on the internal HDD. So I booted up a live disk of Ubuntu and managed to mount it. Now, it looks like it is a recovery partition! So which one install Windows 7 Starter to a wiped hard drive? The DVD, or the partition? Thanks!

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
The recovery partition most likely. Usually such partitions serves the purpose of restoring the Windows to the state it was then you bought your PC. Like it would be just left the factory. Support DVD most probably contain some additional stuff.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Then how do you erase and reinstall?

Or backup that partition.

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • 1,333 posts

Then how do you erase and reinstall?

Use a Gparted Live CD or any similar tool to remove ONLY UNNECESSARY PARTITION leaving the needed ones intact (recovery partition for instance).
Then boot pressing some key combination to boot from that recovery partition (read the PC manual to find which keys should be pressed) and reinstall Windows. Also you may use the above CD to set "boot" flag to the recovery partition, so upon reboot PC will boot from it.

Or backup that partition.

You have at least two option:
  • Burn the above partition to a DVD media (some manufacturers provide such option, but after it is burned to DVD, the partition gets automatically erased)
  • Clone it to a different HDD using the same Clonzilla/Gparted Live CD.
Chose one. Also it is wise to backup the OEM activation information in case you need to install from a retail Windows media. Backup such OEM data as:
.xrm-ms certificate
OEM key
Use Google to know how.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok, thanks. I looked in my manual, and it turns out that that the DVD has Windows 7 on it. And that the recovery partition is also a recovery partition.

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • 1,333 posts

Ok, thanks. I looked in my manual, and it turns out that that the DVD has Windows 7 on it. And that the recovery partition is also a recovery partition.

RTFM as usual :)

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
How do I backup OEM stuff? I have a windows 7 starter key on the bottom of the machine.

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • 1,333 posts

How do I backup OEM stuff? I have a windows 7 starter key on the bottom of the machine.

Sticker is for authorities :) The real key is inside the system Check the number on the sticker here. You can do it manually . Instructions here and/or Google.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Then why do they put it on the bottom if it won't work to activate Windows?

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • 1,333 posts

Then why do they put it on the bottom if it won't work to activate Windows?

It is for authorities, to prof that you have a legitimate copy of Windows installed. Also AFAIK you can use the above posted PID check (by entering the key on the sticker) to find out the true key (the key to activate).
It would be to simple to hijack the above key if it would be directly printed on the sticker everybody can see.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
But can't you just type it in at the Windows Setup?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts
No because, as The Round One is trying to tell you, it is not an activation key.

/EDIT

*LOL* nice!!

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Ok, I've backup up the activation files. But what is the PID checker for. I don't really want to type in the numbers online.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,064 posts

I don't really want to type in the numbers online.

That's because you don't understand what you're doing or what that number is. Yet.
Please google, read and so on...you were given numerous useful tips and links, the information you want is there.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Thank you very much! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy