236 replies to this topic

Sephil

Sephil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys. :D

I installed the LaCie Driver (10.0.7) on my MBP 4,1 with Lion.
I replaced the PXHCD.kext using kexthelper. Rebooted.

And I'm using LaCie USB3 expresscard, and a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green in a Zalman ZM-HE350 U3E box

But the file transfer is barely faster than USB2. I tried transferring a 30 GB file. It took 12 minutes with USB2 and 10 with the USB3 interface.

Any ideas on what's wrong?

timp

timp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

I modified the IOUSBFamily of OS X 10.6.5 to support CalDigitxHCI.kext (and a few other fixes as well).

Download:
http://rapidshare.co...ly_USB3_AnV.zip

Edited CalDigitxHCI.kext (for all USB3 controllers):
http://rapidshare.co...SBxHCI.kext.zip

Hi Andy,
I saw in one of your posts you made a mod to the CalDigit USB 3.0 driver for 10.6. I'm trying to get their kext going in 10.7. I was wondering what you did.. did you have to patch the binary?

In 10.7 the CalDigit driver has two kexts CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext and CalDigitFastIO.kext only, no IOUSBFamiliy.. stuff. I changed the Match values in Info.plist in the xHCI kext and the driver now loads and detects the NEC/Renesas chip with pci id 0x1033:0x0194 and modified subsystem ids The problem is that nothing happens when I plug something(like a usb mouse) into the USB 3.0 ports. Like nothing changes under the usb 3 device in IORegistryEditor. There is power on the ports but it seems like there is no IO. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

PS. I tried the LaCie driver but it often gives KP's when I unplug things and I have to replug everything after sleep to get them registered again.

Mike Ranger

Mike Ranger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Computers....
My findings:

The hacked LaCie drivers only work properly with Lacie drives.

My other drives still have problems:
They mount only at boot. If the drive goes to sleep or is unplugged, mounting is not possible anymore.

Mike

djdubs

djdubs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
http://www.hptmac.co...t.php?_index=77

Anyone tested this card yet to see if it works natively with highpoint drivers?

xdpker

xdpker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
omg works! thanks so much. my $8 dollar ebay ake card works.

xdpker

xdpker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
One question though, does anybody get random kernel panics when using this? It works, but sometimes i get kernel panic right after removing and sometimes it's like 2 or 3 minutes afterwards and sometimes it doesn't panic at all.

timp

timp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

One question though, does anybody get random kernel panics when using this? It works, but sometimes i get kernel panic right after removing and sometimes it's like 2 or 3 minutes afterwards and sometimes it doesn't panic at all.

Yeah me too. I gave up with the Lacie kext, makes things too unstable. I was looking for an alternative. Haven't found anything so far. CalDigit has a USB 3 kext that you can load by modifying it's Info.plist. The controller comes up in system profiler as SuperSpeed, but it doesn't see any attached devices. Annoyingly CalDigit haven't released the 10.7 source code despite it being based on the Linux driver. I emailed their support about publishing it. I didn't get a reply. Maybe if more people ask..

http://www.caldigit.com/opensource.asp

HighPoint do mac USB 3 cards but don't use the NEC/Renesas USB3 Controller (uPD720200) chip. I'm wondering if all USB 3 chips should work with all drivers(if they aren't locked). Not sure how far the USB 3 standard goes...

...I've just now found Sonnet also do Mac drivers for there NEC based cards.. I'll take a look..

http://www.sonnettec...osition_content

Mike Ranger

Mike Ranger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
I repeat, the current La Cie Driver is not fully unlocked.
Only works on boot, once the drive is unmounted, mounting does not work anymore.

I really hope modbin would provide an updated working unlocked driver.

Thanks

Mike

edgar87

edgar87

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Lacie has updated the driver to 1.0.8, can someone bin patch the new version?
http://www.lacie.com...ex.htm?id=10112

EDIT: I think there is no need to bin patch the kext anymore! I've just installed the new official kext from the Lacie site, and it's working! (at full speed)

mm67

mm67

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Lacie has updated the driver to 1.0.8, can someone bin patch the new version?
http://www.lacie.com...ex.htm?id=10112

EDIT: I think there is no need to bin patch the kext anymore! I've just installed the new official kext from the Lacie site, and it's working! (at full speed)

These new drivers are working perfectly with Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 running 10.7.2, unpatched. I'll test with Sabertooth X58 later.

edit. Working fine also with Asus X58 Sabertooth, no problems with restart/shutdown/sleep with USB3 disk attached.

lollo78

lollo78

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

These new drivers are working perfectly with Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 running 10.7.2, unpatched. I'll test with Sabertooth X58 later.

edit. Working fine also with Asus X58 Sabertooth, no problems with restart/shutdown/sleep with USB3 disk attached.

Hi! the new 1.0.8 lacie driver not work on Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 (with the NEC 720200 chip) with a western digital USB 3 drive. Console said me:

kernel: PXHCD 0xffffff80f2f68000::UIMCreateControlTransfer - Super Speed device other than LaCie is not supported - Vendor ID[1058]

Than it works only with an USB 3 Lacie drive. Need to be patched!

EDIT: OK I've patched it (now it works for me!). Good luck! ;)
All credits go to modbin and genzai (I'have only used their solution)

Attached Files

Onixs

Onixs

Since 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Hi! the new 1.0.8 lacie driver not work on Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 (with the NEC 720200 chip) with a western digital USB 3 drive. Console said me:

kernel: PXHCD 0xffffff80f2f68000::UIMCreateControlTransfer - Super Speed device other than LaCie is not supported - Vendor ID[1058]

EDIT: OK I've patched it (now it works for me!). Good luck! :(
All credits go to modbin (I'have only used his solution)

Hi...

Nice One!!!
can you also patch the binary of leopard. Thanks :)

edgar87

edgar87

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

EDIT: OK I've patched it (now it works for me!). Good luck! :unsure:

STRANGE! I've exactly the same motherboard, and here it works perfectly with the new UNPATCHED kext from the Lacie website! With a non Lacie external Samsung HDD.

lollo78

lollo78

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

STRANGE! I've exactly the same motherboard, and here it works perfectly with the new UNPATCHED kext from the Lacie website! With a non Lacie external Samsung HDD.

Really strange! Maybe LaCie use Samsung hard disk?!?
Please try with another drive (WD or Seagate...). In my case (WD My Passport 1TB) the only solution is the patch.

Mike Ranger

Mike Ranger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
The lacie driver is still not fully unlocked.
Only working with Lacie HDs for me.
My config: Lacie PCI USB 3.0 card, one Lacie HD (working), one Samsung HD (not mounting).

Anyone care to fully unlock the driver?

marcelol

marcelol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

EDIT: OK I've patched it (now it works for me!). Good luck! ;)

Can someone comment on what "non-LaCie" expresscards have been used successfully with this driver ? and if it properly supports Sleep Mode ??

marcelol

marcelol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

omg works! thanks so much. my $8 dollar ebay ake card works.

Can you point someone to exactly WHICH AKE card you bought. Seems a lot of the AKE 34mm ExpressCards today are using the FL1000 chipset, which wouldn't be compatible
with the LaCie driver ( which expects an

NEC 720200

chipset ).

Also, has anyone tried out this card:

http://www.siig.com/...esscard-34.html

It's based on the NEC 720200A

And, so no one picks up the wrong one, this one (uses an FL1000 chipset, which is a different chipset than the LaCie uses ), and so does this one.

Edited by marcelol, 04 January 2012 - 09:43 PM.

preskush

preskush

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Hi all, long time no see!

Today I was trying to get my Startech express34 USB 3 card working with my newly purchased Sonnet Thunderbolt Express 34 adapter using the modbin patched PXCHD.kext. It was infuriatingly not working... the kext wouldn't load into extensions and the USB 3 highspeed driver would not show up until....

Through some searching I realized that kexts need to have an addition to their plists in order to enable Thunderbolt functionality, namely:

<key>IOPCITunnelCompatible</key>
<true/>

I added that to the plist, restarted, and voila I can now connect to the drive!

However, although the drive is recognized under SuperSpeed USB as PXCHD, it still shows up as a maximum of only 480 mb/s aka USB 2 speeds. I dont' know if this has anything to do with the modification I made but I would think it didn't. Anyone care to chime in?

Posted Image

I'm including the updated PXCHD for Thunderbolt connections if anyone wants to give it a shot/take a look at it.

http://www.mediafire...k02c2y2as5zvkz2

Thanks guys, enjoy!

dandumont

dandumont

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The file is only 102 byte, i think there is a problem...

marcelol

marcelol

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Ok....so I purchased this, and the patched LaCie driver works with it....but the performance is HORRIBLE.

And why does the SuperSpeed Bus say it supports only up to 480Mbps....shouldn't it be saying something incredibly higher ???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Update: Aja Speed test with Seagate 1.5TB GoFlex portable drive shows

8MB/s write, 28MB/s read on the single port express card,
5.3 MB/s write, 20.7 MB/s readon a USB 2.0 port

By comparison, an IOMega FW800 500Gb drive shows

23.4 MB/s write
35.2 MB/s read

This was done with MacFuse 2.3/NTFS-3G (community edition)

This tells me that the express card interface is giving a little bump from USB 2.0, but not at all what I would've expected.

Given this, has anyone tried out with the CalDigit USB 3.0 Expresscard to see how much faster it might be ? Or with this ( modified IOUSBFamily/CalDigit drivers ) ??

Also, would using update IOUSBFamily drivers from here, help ?

Comparing with IOZone, it's clear that these generic NEC cards with the patched LaCie driver aren't anywhere near the speed of a FW800 drive. Can some of you report your performance numbers , please ?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy