LaCie USB 3.0 drivers are here for OS X

antic

240 posts in this topic

@bladykris1990: See this.

Not to mention I'm curious how you got the driver for the Renesas u720200 to work with a FL1000 chipset ( Fresco Logic ).....interesting it even loaded.

For everyone else, who's tried this and encountered random disconnects, please see the link above. Unless someone's reported this to LaCie as a bug, or they release the code to the drivers as Open Source, it's going to be tough to get this issue resolved. Mind you, the new MacBook Pro's are supposed to be coming out with USB 3.0 this summer, so hopefully Apple will have gone the better route and chosen a Renesas chipset to implement their USB 3.0, or improved their USB 3.0 stack to better support it. If so, then hopefully LaCie ( and others ) will update their drivers to support the new Lion USB stack. Also, Seagate purchasing LaCie could spell more openness with their driver to support other drives. One can only cross their fingers and hope.

• Like 1

Well, i bought Mediatech Card VendorID Fresco and modbin 1.0.8 kext worked ...

but today ive switch Fresco to Nec card, and still Kernel_task 100% while coping files

:wallbash:

so ive upgrade SL to Lion...

:)

and

Modbin 1.0.8 works almost perfect but still 100 % kernel_task ....

ps. ive tired caldigit driver, but didnt work

New NEC:

Driver Installed: Yes

MSI: No

Bus: PCI

Slot: ExpressCard

Vendor ID: 0x1033

Device ID: 0x0194

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0xffff

Subsystem ID: 0xffff

Revision ID: 0x0004

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

As to why you're running 100% CPU....are you sure it's not your File System ??

How do you know it's the KEXT ?

Running Activity Monitor and look at what's consuming the CPU.

IF, you're running an NTFS drive with Tuxera ( especially an older version of the Open Source one ), it's been known to consume A LOT of CPU. Try upgrading to a newer version, or just getting Paragon ( I switched...A LOT better ).

LaCie hasn't updated their driver in a LONG time, and realistically, with the buyout from Seagate, who knows what'll happen, but hopefully it means Seagate picks it up and actually sells it, and makes a driver for it

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

HBU3MAC.zip

I've found another manufacturer that's now reselling an NEC ExpressCard/34 card for both Windows and MAC ( Oyen Digital ).

I haven't been able to ( I don't know ) how to get into their driver PKG file. I was able to get into the contents of the INSTALLER PKG, and it's installation actually checks for the existence of the LaCie PXHCD.KEXT, and a USB Host Link driver from DLINK , for conflicts. My thoughts are that their driver is similar to the LaCie card driver ( although their card is a different style of 2 port board, VERY similar to one of the cards I linked to on EBay ).

Perhaps some brave soul will be adventurous to test out this driver with one of these generic ExpressCard's ???

I've attached a link to the ZIP file from Oyen Digital.

Edited by marcelol

• 1 month later...

Just for everybody's interest, Mountain Lion new version of IOUSBFamily.kext will kill patched/original Lacie/Caldigit/Sonnet driver, getta wait for new version coming out, or upgrade your mainboard to have IvyBridge chipset.......

• Like 1

Just for everybody's interest, Mountain Lion new version of IOUSBFamily.kext will kill patched/original Lacie/Caldigit/Sonnet driver, getta wait for new version coming out, or upgrade your mainboard to have IvyBridge chipset.......

Dude ! Thank you for posting the head's up......Maybe LaCie will release their driver unlocked this time......Hopefully CalDigit & Sonnet will get on the ball....

Just as an update to this thread ( and the continuing saga to get consistently usable USB 3.0 on our MBP's ).....

I purchased this, and plugged it in, in the hopes that I'd get a few more ports.

And got the following:

USBF: 86.771 AppleUSBHub[0xffffff8021abe800]::ConfigureHub(hub @ 0x4f) could not get hub descriptor (0x200000)

USBF: 86.771 AppleUSBHub[0xffffff8021abe800]::start Aborting startup for hub @ 0x200000, error 0x4f (0x4f (UNDEFINED))

This is with the PXHCD driver.

Has anyone successfully attached a USB 3.0 hub to one of their cards, and gotten it to work ? Just curious.

I've found another manufacturer that's now reselling an NEC ExpressCard/34 card for both Windows and MAC ( Oyen Digital ).

I haven't been able to ( I don't know ) how to get into their driver PKG file. I was able to get into the contents of the INSTALLER PKG, and it's installation actually checks for the existence of the LaCie PXHCD.KEXT, and a USB Host Link driver from DLINK , for conflicts. My thoughts are that their driver is similar to the LaCie card driver ( although their card is a different style of 2 port board, VERY similar to one of the cards I linked to on EBay ).

Perhaps some brave soul will be adventurous to test out this driver with one of these generic ExpressCard's ???

I've attached a link to the ZIP file from Oyen Digital.

Anyone try this out ???

Hei buoo,

thanks for the reference, I'll try ASAP.

Looking at that thread, looks like some folks have gotten it to recognize the card, but not the drives.

For a matter of reference, CalDigit HAS published a new driver for their card.

Right now, it doesn't look good for folks wanting to move to ML ( or 10.7.5 for that matter ). Also, it really does stink that USB 3.0 Hubs aren't supported, even though through the new MBP's they are in ML.

Looking at that thread, looks like some folks have gotten it to recognize the card, but not the drives.

For a matter of reference, CalDigit HAS published a new driver for their card.

Right now, it doesn't look good for folks wanting to move to ML ( or 10.7.5 for that matter ). Also, it really does stink that USB 3.0 Hubs aren't supported, even though through the new MBP's they are in ML.

http://www.caldigit.com/KB/index.asp?KBID=108

I installed the Caldigit USB3 Driver (CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext and CalDigitFastIO.kext) for Mountain Lion. By removing the IOPCISecondaryMatch and IOPCIMatch parts in Info.plist, leaving only IOPCIClassMatch, the kexts make my Etron EJ168 on-board controller work...only for the first mount. If I umount the USB stick, I can't mount it again without a reboot (the device won't even show up in diskutil).

I didn't run the pkg installer, rather copied the two kexts to S/L/E.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys since OSX Mountain Lion brings in native USB3.0 support, did any one try the seagate USB 3.0 upgrade cable package with express card adapter?

According to seagate KB (http://knowledge.sea...FAQ/217951en#13) ,

The Express card Adapter would provide USB 2.0 speeds in OSX as there was no USB 3.0 support, but since now we have USB 3.0 support does the adapter work and give better speeds than before .

I know the limitations of Express card bandwidth, and that it cannot give full USB 3.0 speeds for PCI based express card but a USB 3.0 support means a definitely higher speed for my 1TB seagate GoFlex Freeagent HDD.

Awaiting Reply !!

P.S (No, eSATA does not work for my HDD. Sadly )

• 4 weeks later...

New driver from lacie which supports ML

http://www.lacie.com...er.htm?id=10239

I tried it on my asus p8z68 deluxe (sandy bridge) which actually shows the USB 3.0 PORTS but failed at mounting my external drive - ADATA NH03.

here is USB PROBER OUTPUTS :

IORegistry.txt

Kernel Extensions.txt

USB Bus Probe.txt

USBPortStatus.txt

and the lacie driver downloadLaCie-USB-3.0-Driver.1.0.10.dmg

I'am new in hackintosh (two weeks) and may be this stuff will interest someone.

sorry for my english it's not my native tongue.

snapshot-nec controllers supported.tiff

nec controllers supported.

• Like 1

New driver from lacie which supports ML

http://www.lacie.com...er.htm?id=10239

I tried it on my asus p8z68 deluxe (sandy bridge) which actually shows the USB 3.0 PORTS but failed at mounting my external drive - ADATA NH03.

here is USB PROBER OUTPUTS :

IORegistry.txt

Kernel Extensions.txt

USB Bus Probe.txt

USBPortStatus.txt

and the lacie driver downloadLaCie-USB-3.0-Driver.1.0.10.dmg

I'am new in hackintosh (two weeks) and may be this stuff will interest someone.

sorry for my english it's not my native tongue.

snapshot-nec controllers supported.tiff

nec controllers supported.

I've use otx to disassemble the kext.

+257 0000f915 0fb7401e movzwl 0x1e(%eax),%eax

+261 0000f919 663d9f05 cmpw $0x059f,%ax

+265 0000f91d 746a je 0x0000f989

+267 0000f91f 0fb7c0 movzwl %ax,%eax

+270 0000f922 8944240c movl %eax,0x0c(%esp)

+274 0000f926 89542408 movl %edx,0x08(%esp)

+278 0000f92a c74424049c950100 movl $0x0001959c,0x04(%esp) %p::UIMCreateControlTransfer - Super Speed device other than LaCie is not supported - Vendor ID[%x]\n

+286 0000f932 c7042401000000 movl $0x00000001,(%esp)

059F is lacie usb id.

the instruction then jump to offset 6A if the comparaison is OK (cmpw $0x059f,%ax)

0x0000f989 = 0000f91d + 2 + 6A

in an old patch driver, the JE op 74 is replaced by unconditional short jump JMP op EB

So open an hex editor, find 663d9f05 2 times (32 and 64 bit exe) and replace the following 74 by EB.

• Like 1

I've use otx to disassemble the kext.

+257 0000f915 0fb7401e movzwl 0x1e(%eax),%eax

+261 0000f919 663d9f05 cmpw $0x059f,%ax

+265 0000f91d 746a je 0x0000f989

+267 0000f91f 0fb7c0 movzwl %ax,%eax

+270 0000f922 8944240c movl %eax,0x0c(%esp)

+274 0000f926 89542408 movl %edx,0x08(%esp)

+278 0000f92a c74424049c950100 movl $0x0001959c,0x04(%esp) %p::UIMCreateControlTransfer - Super Speed device other than LaCie is not supported - Vendor ID[%x]\n

+286 0000f932 c7042401000000 movl $0x00000001,(%esp)

059F is lacie usb id.

the instruction then jump to offset 6A if the comparaison is OK (cmpw $0x059f,%ax)

0x0000f989 = 0000f91d + 2 + 6A

in an old patch driver, the JE op 74 is replaced by unconditional short jump JMP op EB

So open an hex editor, find 663d9f05 2 times (32 and 64 bit exe) and replace the following 74 by EB.

Thanks a lot Toine44. I patched the PXHCD and my external HDD is recognized :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Toine44. I patched the PXHCD and my external HDD is recognized :thumbsup_anim:

Were you running ML or Lion ? I tried the driver from OSX86.NET ( and I also tried my own patched one ) on 10.7.4, and it wasn't able to see the card at all. Had to switch back to 1.0.8 to see the drive. Haven't tried 1.0.9.

It would be of much help to share a pre-patched version of the kext, otherwise each single user has to go through the procedure described at topic #194

This is my patched 1.0.10 PXHCD.kext. Besides the code patch up bypass the ID check, you need to remove the PCIMatchedFamily info.plist entry.

One point of note, this driver still does NOT support USB 3.0 HUBS.

Enjoy.....

PXHCD.kext.zip

• Like 5