Hackintosh crashed - now wont boot. Please help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

gavspav

gavspav

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I have an Asus p5W dh deluxe running Ideneb 10.5.8, its been running fine for about a year now with only the very occasional glitch.

I was just surfing the internet and I got the grey screen of death message you must restart your computer.......

So I restarted but it wouldn't boot up, just the spinning wheel below the apple logo.

So I tried to boot into single user mode but that didn't work.

So then I tried -v -x from the command line and it hangs on loading the following kext: AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

I'm not really sure of the next step in trying to sort this out. Can anyone offer any tips, advice or links to tutorials/guides as to a sensible course of action.

Thanks

muchlife

muchlife

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
seems that file may have become corrupted. you can delete it as last resort, that file 98% time is not needed

boot up installer, go to terminal

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

or might need to specify drive first

rm -rf Volume/(name of partition)/System/Library/Extensions/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,034 posts
I've fixed mysterious boot issues by doing a CMOS reset. Don't ask me how or why. Stuck bits maybe :blink:

You can also try booting from your install DVD, then run Disk Utility and repair/fix permissions.

kellis

kellis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
i would boot in -s mode
then do a full system check with fsck and then rename that kext folder with another extension, so it won';t try to load.
then clean the /System/Library/Cache/* folder
then try again

zicoos

zicoos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 85 posts
Thanks for the solutions, I had a similar problem after crash, and fixing the permissions with install disk helped. I have Asus P5B Deluxe. I was not able to enter the OS normally after a crash, only through -x -f, after -x -f I had to reinstall ApplePS2Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext, as well as Natit.kext. Don't know what really happened but after that I couldn't boot into the OS without -f, so I cleared the caches, and erased Extensions.mkext, now I can boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy