Hackintosh crashed - now wont boot. Please help!

gavspav

5 posts in this topic

I have an Asus p5W dh deluxe running Ideneb 10.5.8, its been running fine for about a year now with only the very occasional glitch.

I was just surfing the internet and I got the grey screen of death message you must restart your computer.......

So I restarted but it wouldn't boot up, just the spinning wheel below the apple logo.

So I tried to boot into single user mode but that didn't work.

So then I tried -v -x from the command line and it hangs on loading the following kext: AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

I'm not really sure of the next step in trying to sort this out. Can anyone offer any tips, advice or links to tutorials/guides as to a sensible course of action.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

seems that file may have become corrupted. you can delete it as last resort, that file 98% time is not needed

boot up installer, go to terminal

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

or might need to specify drive first

rm -rf Volume/(name of partition)/System/Library/Extensions/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

i would boot in -s mode

then do a full system check with fsck and then rename that kext folder with another extension, so it won';t try to load.

then clean the /System/Library/Cache/* folder

then try again

Thanks for the solutions, I had a similar problem after crash, and fixing the permissions with install disk helped. I have Asus P5B Deluxe. I was not able to enter the OS normally after a crash, only through -x -f, after -x -f I had to reinstall ApplePS2Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext, as well as Natit.kext. Don't know what really happened but after that I couldn't boot into the OS without -f, so I cleared the caches, and erased Extensions.mkext, now I can boot.