whats the deal with the moderators and my posts disapearing lately?

TheDon

16 posts in this topic

I cant believe that the moderators would just delete posts by users and not send a followup message about why it was deleted. I posted 2 messages the last few days. One today about an issue I am having with USB drives, and another about the new facetime app for mac. Both were deleted. No reason given. Nobody contacted me., nothing. Im not a new user. I been on here a while, and its not like Im flaming on here or anything. Just posting stuff about my systems and asking questions. I mean this is a site about building hackintoshs. Thats the only thing I been posting about.

And when I go to look for a moderator to ask, how do I find one to ask? its listed nowhere.

And when I go to look for a moderator to ask, how do I find one to ask? its listed nowhere.

You don't have to look for them, they'll find U... *Evil Laugh*

But anyways, I don't think the moderators are that immature... unless they have a valid reason... like, if your question has been asked before, and been covered in another topic / part of the forum, then they might have a reason to delete it... but i doubt that they will without giving some kind of notification...

I cant believe that the moderators would just delete posts by users and not send a followup message about why it was deleted. I posted 2 messages the last few days. One today about an issue I am having with USB drives, and another about the new facetime app for mac. Both were deleted. No reason given. Nobody contacted me., nothing. Im not a new user. I been on here a while, and its not like Im flaming on here or anything. Just posting stuff about my systems and asking questions. I mean this is a site about building hackintoshs. Thats the only thing I been posting about.

?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=235620&hl=

?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=236143&hl=

???

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;CODE=leaders

I can't find any post of yours which has been recently deleted, I would know.

The last time a post of yours was deleted was the 6th June 2010.

Besides, why did you post this topic here?

This belongs to "Forum Information and Feedback", where I am going to move it right now.

And finally, when we decide to delete a post or a topic, we don't owe anybody any explanation:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

ok ok, foot inserted in mouth. I guess they were just falling off the screen. Or I didnt know what the light grey folder icon meant. I thought that meant deleted. OK my bad. good job. Thanks for the non flame when a flame was justified.

And finally, when we decide to delete a post or a topic, we don't owe anybody any explanation:

I was very disturbed to read the line above. I fully understand the meaning behind the line as I was once the proud owner and admin of several forums and had the help of many different moderators assisting, but honestly that entire line is kind of like a giant smack in the face to anyone who supports this forum. Say what you will about my opinion on the matter but I for one never allowed that kind of 'high and mighty' attitude on some of my forums. I would never allow one of my mods to speak that way to the members as I felt it was just plain rude and disrespectful. I understand though that sometimes, with some people you just have to get a little rough with them for them to be able to finally just 'get it'. I don't think that really applies here though. The OP may have been a little PO'd after believing his stuff was deleted but he wasn't being a d*** about it or anything.

I was raised on the 'treat others how you would like to be treated' speech and that kind of arrogant, snobby attitude would have never gone over with me. I just don't like seeing people with a little bit of power abusing it to make themselves seem like they are better than they actually are. It's only a forum after all, and you are only a mod. That's the same kind of {censored} that makes many great things come crashing to the ground in the end. I mean, I wouldn't come back to a forum where the mods and what-not were all d***heads. I don't know many others who would either. I could be wrong in this case though. Perhaps, it wasn't mean't to be disrespectful. It just doesn't sound that way to me. I just simply call it as I see it.

Anyway, As mentioned, maybe I am wrong and if I am then I apologize for the little outburst. Either way though, the forum admin might wanna try some evaluations on their mods at some point. Because I also know that people who made great mods at one point, can sometimes turn out to be pretty s***** mods a year or so later. Things change and sometimes, so do people. All I can really say is that words are a powerful tool, a tool that can lead to both great accomplishments and great disaster, it all just depends on how you wield them...

I was very disturbed to read the line above. I fully understand the meaning behind the line as I was once the proud owner and admin of several forums and had the help of many different moderators assisting, but honestly that entire line is kind of like a giant smack in the face to anyone who supports this forum. Say what you will about my opinion on the matter but I for one never allowed that kind of 'high and mighty' attitude on some of my forums. I would never allow one of my mods to speak that way to the members as I felt it was just plain rude and disrespectful. I understand though that sometimes, with some people you just have to get a little rough with them for them to be able to finally just 'get it'. I don't think that really applies here though. The OP may have been a little PO'd after believing his stuff was deleted but he wasn't being a d*** about it or anything.

I was raised on the 'treat others how you would like to be treated' speech and that kind of arrogant, snobby attitude would have never gone over with me. I just don't like seeing people with a little bit of power abusing it to make themselves seem like they are better than they actually are. It's only a forum after all, and you are only a mod. That's the same kind of {censored} that makes many great things come crashing to the ground in the end. I mean, I wouldn't come back to a forum where the mods and what-not were all d***heads. I don't know many others who would either. I could be wrong in this case though. Perhaps, it wasn't mean't to be disrespectful. It just doesn't sound that way to me. I just simply call it as I see it.

Anyway, As mentioned, maybe I am wrong and if I am then I apologize for the little outburst. Either way though, the forum admin might wanna try some evaluations on their mods at some point. Because I also know that people who made great mods at one point, can sometimes turn out to be pretty s***** mods a year or so later. Things change and sometimes, so do people. All I can really say is that words are a powerful tool, a tool that can lead to both great accomplishments and great disaster, it all just depends on how you wield them...

Your suggestion, whilst well-meaning, is utterly impractical in a forum of this type. To properly moderate this place would take far more staff than it is possible to recruit. The staff needs a level of technical expertise to be able to understand what needs to be done with posts, they need the time & dedication to do the job, and the willingness to do it for this site (for no reward), rather than start their own blog or join one of the myriad other sites of similar content. This is a tech site, or should be, and is today desperately undermoderated as witnessed by the establishment of the "New Users Lounge" in an attempt to sluice the noise away from the useful content. If we were to explain every moderator decision this would not only slow the pace of moderation to a near-halt, but most likely wear down the enthusiasm of those doing the work.

It is a term of use of this site, as on many others, that moderators are trusted to do their job properly, and posts can and will be removed without explanation. The biggest time-waster in the entire process are the people shouting "where did my post go?" and "censorship!!!" when they have posted something useless, harmful, already covered and available by a simple search, or actually in contravention of site rules.

Many people put forward the argument that moderators do not need in-depth technical skills to moderate a forum. That might be true on many sites but not on places with the technical depth of one such as this. If the moderators can't tell that a procedure posted as "fixes everything" would serve no other purpose than to damage the user's machine, then all their good judgment & social skill is worthless.

Please understand that this is a policy born of experience and necessity, and in no way meant to enable the petty, powerhungry people often attracted to such positions.

It is a term of use of this site, as on many others, that moderators are trusted to do their job properly, and posts can and will be removed without explanation. The biggest time-waster in the entire process are the people shouting "where did my post go?" and "censorship!!!" when they have posted something useless, harmful, already covered and available by a simple search, or actually in contravention of site rules.

Thanks Hagar, that is exactly what I meant.

Perhaps, it wasn't mean't to be disrespectful.

Exactly. As Hagar rightly said, I was merely stating a fact, and by no means mine was "a statement of might".

If you read our rules, it is easy to realize why justifying every action would be impractical.

Of course users can pm moderators or administrators if they believe they have been unfairly dealt with.

Im with gygabyte666

I asked a question because I thought my post were being deleted. And I got a bunch of cool replies that were normal moderator type answers and then one guy with the over the top added comment of "we dont owe anybody answers".

True or not, I didnt need to hear that for my accidental question that I was wondering about.

As stated before, this was merely my own views on the matter. I also understood why it was spoken as such. As impractical as it may be, there is an ethical and moral obligation I feel mods and admins alike need to abide by. Flamers and spammers aside, Let's face it, sometimes mistakes happen and we are all only human. Sometimes some posts get removed due to simple misunderstandings. Occasionally, Something that someone posts up can be misinterpreted by a moderator or site admin and removed unjustly without any communication to the post's original owner. I believe a voting system among site moderators and admins should be in place to decrease this sort of thing from happening as this is after-all a technology-based forum to at least some extent and mistakes will happen. While I agree finding good help is VERY difficult especially among tech-oriented environments such as this, it is still no excuse to act inappropriately. Moderators and the site admin alike need to always keep professional while not losing their sense of humanity and emotion. I am quite pleased to see that the site admin stepped in and tried to explain the situation more in detail but once again I still hold to what was already said.

In case it was missed, I am not judging any of the mods or the admin in anyway. I have been a long time users here and I keep coming back for a reason. Although I don't always agree with it, for the most part I don't mind how things are handled here. The mods have clearly earned where they are it is just occasional things like this that concern me for the long haul. It is also a simple reminder of how although our society may be steadily advancing and evolving, humanity as whole seems to always go in the opposite direction. There used to be an unwritten code of conduct how everyone online use to treat each other with respect and over the past few years that code no longer exists. It seems everyone and anyone just does and says whatever they want without consequence and it is simply disgusting. I think the reason things like this concern me is because the mods and admins are entrusted to uphold a certain level of respect and integrity among the forum community and in several forums they are just as bad if not worse than most of the local flammers and spammers.

Anyway, I have said what needs to be said and I believe I need not reply anymore. As before, I apologize to the moderator as it would appear I was incorrect in my observation. Thanks for hearing me out and addressing some of my concerns. Keep up the great work, i'd like to see this same site active for another 10 years from now if possible. Under good management and with assistance from the great community we have here, i'm sure that day will no doubt become a reality. Good luck to all.

• 2 weeks later...
Under good management and with assistance from the great community we have here, i'm sure that day will no doubt become a reality.

I've said it before and it's most likely beyond the current system software. However, I am going to state it again in the hopes that someone listens.

The forum is capable of policing itself with an up/down vote. After an arbitrary number of "downs" (let's say 10 just for an example), the post is immediately hidden. If it's done to an OP, then the topic becomes sent to "Area 51" (again for lack of a better term and just as an example). The system should also be done to record which usernames vote what down.

This would mean the mods would only have to sift through Area 51 and undo anything they feel is post worthy. Would some stuff get overlooked? Most likely yes...because we're human. But we should be working as a ton of humans working toward making this forum a better place. This would also prevent the abuse of such power, as the simple solution is for the mods/admins to move the vote offenders to a non-voting member status. They can post but not vote.

Now the trick to all of this is to put everyone in the voting memeber category and then start trimming. This will completely negate any favoritism by mods/admins which can happen and you damn well know you'll be accused of it if you get to pick who can vote and who can't.

Now with the negative out of the way, this would make for an easier way to get things stickied also. So many up votes (let's say 25 and remember that the numbers I use are for example only and not hard numbers!!!) would bring about a sticky request to the mods. Topic gets reviewed and the sticky decision is made. The up votes however, don't get erased, because the userbase should also be able to search by the number of up votes. This way, the important upped information is presented at the top.

I've said it before and it's most likely beyond the current system software. However, I am going to state it again in the hopes that someone listens.

The forum is capable of policing itself with an up/down vote. After an arbitrary number of "downs" (let's say 10 just for an example), the post is immediately hidden. If it's done to an OP, then the topic becomes sent to "Area 51" (again for lack of a better term and just as an example). The system should also be done to record which usernames vote what down.

Can't imagine a worse system. Popular garbage voted up and unpopular truth disappearing from view. This might work in a forum that is merely about opinion & social interaction, but not here.

We have numerous times had extremely popular topics based entirely around false information, misconception and wishful thinking. in your system these would be stickied and regarded as truth.

Just because a topic is popular doesn't make it useful, accurate or true.

Can't imagine a worse system. Popular garbage voted up and unpopular truth disappearing from view. This might work in a forum that is merely about opinion & social interaction, but not here.

We have numerous times had extremely popular topics based entirely around false information, misconception and wishful thinking. in your system these would be stickied and regarded as truth.

Just because a topic is popular doesn't make it useful, accurate or true.

I couldn't agree more. I have always hated that system, even where it is in use.

If users want to help, they can read the rules and then report anything against the rules.