What does the no smoking sign mean?

Pikeman85

23 posts in this topic

What does the no smoking sign on first boot up of OSX mean? How do I get past it? EVERY installation of OSX gives me this except LeoHazard, and I can't get my graphics correct with it - whenever I enable graphics, they're extremely extremely slow, so I want to try some Leopard installations, but I just keep getting this stupid no smoking sign over the top of the Apple.

I wish I knew! I just successfully installed Jas 10.4.6 (the only one that would load on my pc) and I finally get the darn thing to boot on the mac os x partition and I get that stupid sign!!! I have been working on this for 2 weeks lol

I found by googling it could be a bios problem if you don't have it set to AHCI but I don't even have that option in my bios! Mannn lol

anybody know what's up or had this prob and solved it?

I believe I tried that, but I will look again! Thanks! Will post it soon.

It seems to be stuck looping in "Still waiting for root device" - which is really odd. This is with Iakatos V7.

LeoHazard 10.6.1 does not have this problem - could it be a SATA or IDE driver?

I run my SATA to emulate IDE because otherwise I tend to get Kernel panics in OSX (at least in LeoHazard) and for some reason if I don't, Windows 7 and Linux run slower.

So I installed leohazard's 10.6.1 install. Everything boots fine, however when I try to run EFI strings to modify my screen resolution, my mouse screws up. Is there anyway to fix that? Thanks.

looks like you had it installed once.

And try and list your hardware.

I should clarify - I've talked about two different distros here. I've tried like five.

First - I have way older equipment, after I get done with the GRE and applying to grad school, probably going to buy a new system.

Processor: AMD 3800+ Athlon 64-bit

Motherboard: ASRock Dual-VSTA 939

Memory: Some sort of mongrel collection of RAM - 2.5 gigs DDR

HD - SATA 2TB - I can find brand if necessary

DVD - some sort of generic DVD-RW

Video Card - nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB PCI-e

Wireless - Realtek RTL8185 PCI - also bought a Belkin USB wireless dongle in case the Realtek doesn't work

Monitor - one display (though I'd like two soon), LG HDTV Monitor Flatron - 23 inches, DVI connection to computer

Distros:

Leohazard 10.6.1 - I can install this one perfectly, but can't seem to figure out wireless, and each and every time I try to install any sort of graphics drivers or method, I get the full resolution of my monitor (1920x1080) but it is EXTREMELY slow. Mouse lags, computer seems slow. This isn't the case when I boot without any graphics drivers at all.

Iaktos V7 10.5.8 (I think?) - Installs fine, hangs with the no smoking sign above the apple during first boot up

iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 (I think?) - Same as Iaktos

iPC 10.5.6 (I think?) - Same as Iaktos

Kalyway 10.5.2 (I think?) - Error searching for root device error, before even installing

So that's pretty much my situation. None of the distros except leohazard works, and as soon as I install anything graphical - it is kaput and super slow.

iAtkos v7 10.5.6... according to uphuck, doesn't support AMD so there you go. I might be wrong though.

iDeneb V1.4... I'm sure a lot of people got it installed on AMD before.

iPC - I never had a chance to use it.

Kalyway 10.5.2 - It's been a while, but i dont know if they support AMD or not.

It doesn't matter what distro you use, forget about trying 127 distros to get Wireless or Graphics going, that's a waste of time.

The only thing that matters is that you can install and boot.

As long as drivers/solutions exist for your hardware, anything else can be fixed once the system is running, all the drivers and patches that are included on the various distros are available for download separately here on InsanelyMac or elsewhere. Use google or the forum search to find out how to install them.

It's not a "no smoking sign" (there is no cigarette) it's a 'forbidden' sign.

"Still Waiting For Root Device" means that OS X can't communicate with your drive controller because it's configured wrong in the BIOS and/or your PATA drives are jumpered wrong or that there's no driver for it on the install DVD you are using. Type "still waiting for root device" into google or the forum search to learn more.

Hard drive brand does not matter at all, the only thing that's important is your motherboard chipset, in particular the Southbridge, which is where your drive controller is. AMD motherboard chipsets are usually from Nvidia or ATI. Look it up on your motherboard manufacturer's website or you can use El Coniglio and OldNapalm's "System Information" tool, Windows and OS X versions are available, use the forum search to find it.

About the video card - google 'guide for all nvidia boards'. Getting a Geforce 8600 GT working should be a walk in the park.

That was my perspective too, Gringo, but I tried EVERYTHING to get my graphics working. I tried Graphics Enable=Yes, I tried strings, both from EFI strings as well as OSX86. I tried NVEnabler, I tried Evoenabler, I tried NVinject, NVKrush, and NVdarwin. I even tried to patch my DSDT, but I think I did it wrong.

Any time I ever got my graphics to full 1920x1080 resolution, or hell any resolution besides 800x600 without a driver installed, the system instantly got incredibly choppy.

I would love to get Leohazard working after all this time, it boots just fine, I mean, I could theoretically use OSX in 800x600 mode with no internet if I really wanted to, and it's 100% stable (as long as I don't do sleep mode), but I want graphics, at least, and I can't seem to get them.

It's "GraphicsEnabler", not GraphicsEnable.

Google 'guide for all nvidia boards', sounds like the only thing you haven't tried is adding your video card device ID to the proper nvidia kernel extensions. This is required for most nvidia video cards. The guide will tell you how to do that.

Also see this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1574743

All the information you need is in the guide. The only thing you have to find yourself is the cards device ID.

Try it and see, it should work, that's how you do it.

No amount of Device Property "EFI" strings, injector.kexts or DSDT patches will work if the OS X nvidia drivers don't know your card's device ID.

I'm not not listening to you. I'm trying to understand exactly what's going on with each process, so that instead of just following instructions, I can troubleshoot for any installation in the future. My questions are aimed at that, not snubbing your help, which I greatly appreciate.

Thank you.

I think I am, I believe it's 0x0401.

Also, do you not have to edit NVCAP values anymore? That page you told me to look for seems to indicate you don't. Oh well, I've done all of the plist editting it asked for, going to delete my extensions cache and restart.

It didn't work, I have to assume because I didn't do things correctly.

Huh. The guide mentions editing the NVCAP value several times.

Here's the link, maybe you're looking at some other guide:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4

In some cases you will want to override the NVCAP, for example when you want an output other than the one closest to the motherboard to be the primary, especially if you're not using NVEnabler.kext. This topic (by the same author) is linked in the guide: http://projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5

What injection method are you using? I recommend Chameleon GraphicsEnabler or NVEnabler.kext.

NVEnabler (also by the same author) release topic is here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=370

Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler will work just fine as well, though you will have to add "display-cfg" data either via device property string or DSDT if you want analog TV-out working. Read the NVEnabler thread for more info.

Don't use both at the same time.

I think I am, I believe it's 0x0401.

It would be better if you were absolutely certain. From a quick google, apparently there is also a 0x0402 Geforce 8600 GT.

In case of the 9800GTX+ there is a 0x0612 (mine) which works without having to modify any kernel extensions, and a 0x0613 that doesn't. It's kind of important to get these numbers right. :D

Use the tools that are available to you and make sure you have the correct device ID. Windows Device Manager, LSPCI, the System Information tool I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are many different ways to get it.

You may actually be right on the 0x0402. I need to check with one of those services. It's just difficult to do anything on my main PC (using my lappy now), because I borked Windows with screwing around with this stuff (I know how to fix it) and OSX has no internet.

Also, this is where it indicates that NVCAP stuff seems to be obsolete:

http://projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5

You missed the part where Krazubu is referring to NVEnabler.kext - in orange, bold and even underlined text.

For all other injection methods and other injector.kexts you might still need to customize it yourself and that's when that post comes in handy.

If you want to override the default order of your video cards display outputs for some reason, you will have to change the NVCAP no matter what method you're using, including NVEnabler. As I already told you (post #20).

If you don't have a bootable OS installed, you can boot your PC with a Linux live CD (like for example the Linux Mint install CD) and pull all the hardware info you want from your system using LSPCI or whatever else is available. There is always a way.