iATKOS S3 V2 installation problem

besweeet

27 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I can get to the installer, but it doesn't actually install. It just sits here:

img0232ls.th.jpg

Any ideas? I've tried it in normal mode and in safe mode.

I've also tried going the retail route... I've tried 5 different bootloaders, and they all seem to get stuck while loading (according to verbose mode). I wish there was a way I could disable all of the custom kext files that they boot with.

Try installing without any driver selected. Also post specification of the notebook.

Oops, I thought I put the specs in my sig. I did try it without choosing any options.

I should also note that I'm trying to install it to a USB HDD. The internal hard drive requires an adapter that I won't have until tomorrow. That might be the cause?

First of all the onboard VGA is not well supported in Leopard. It can be made to work (check this) but not joy using it. The best option for this particular issue is to use Tiger as it has support for this VGA.

WLAN card is also not the best option (consider replacing it with something more compatible). Meanwhile check this.

I should also note that I'm trying to install it to a USB HDD. The internal hard drive requires an adapter that I won't have until tomorrow. That might be the cause?
It is possible. However problem may be not in the USB HDD (they are 100% working solution), but rather with the usb connector it is connected to (the one that in the notebook).

I remember have had bad luck on installing to USB HDD. In the end problem was solved by connecting to a different connector on the PC (it is a desktop; changed from the front socket to the back one). If your USB HDD has an activity LED you may check it's color. If it is red (not blinking, just constant RED) when installation hangs this is obviously a problem of USB connector. Also try installing to an USB flash drive. If it is an USB issue you will face the same install hang.

Other options you may try are:

A different install DVD (kalyway 10.5.1, ideneb and others)

Install a Tiger

Burn the DVD to a different brand disk using the slowest speed avalable

Burn on the different DVD drive

P.S. I have in some way similar DV1156cl (PR428UA#ABA) dead notebook (MB is dead). Selling it for parts. And I have the connector you are waiting to arrive ;) Just a strange coincidence...

The connector happened to show up today. There were still problems with the installation just sitting there. Disk Utility was also unable to unmount the drive for formatting.

So, I put the HDD back into the USB enclosure, and popped iATKOS S3 V2 into my MacBook Pro, and installed it to the HDD (still via USB). Installation went fine. I put the HDD back into the laptop, tried to boot it up, but it just sits there. Running -v reveals nothing helpful (no awkward error messages or anything that would seem awkward). I first thought that it was ethernet, so I removed the kext, and that didn't help. I then thought that it was FireWire, so I removed those kexts, but that didn't help. I tried using the Voodoo kernels, and that gave me a kernel panic (something about ACPI).

I give up with Snow Leopard (unless someone happens to have some final thoughts?). I'll just use iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8. Leopard should work perfectly with this laptop (wifi, audio, the works), so I'll just use this. It's just disappointing to have Snow Leopard not work right ;).

I should also mention that, during the initial installation, I had some options chosen. I'm thinking about doing one more install, but with nothing selected (I previously had selected my wifi, audio, PS/2, and LAN drivers).

The BIOS in this thing is sooooooo basic that the most you could change it the date/time and boot order.

I did another install of 10.5.8 (again, iDeneb v1.6 "Lite"), but it seems to restart by itself while it's booting:

img0271y.th.jpg

I tried booting up the SnowOSX DVD, but it does what the other DVDs/installs were doing (just stops in the middle of booting).

Removing the wifi card doesn't help.

I'm going to give one more distro a try: iPC 10.5.6 (final). It seems more complete than any of the other ones. Again, I can't go the retail route (won't boot the retail 10.6 DVD no matter what bootloader I'm trying to use).

Tiger's the only thing that has worked so far... The 915GM drivers would make the display all garbled up and weird looking, which rendered it all useless. I could boot into safe mode (and I'd somehow get dual-displays at native resolutions, no QE/CI obviously). I could remove the kexts regarding the 915 and boot normally, but there's no QE/CI/res change/etc, obviously. Audio worked. Wifi and LAN didn't. Didn't really feel like messing with those.

While iPC 10.5.6 is downloading, I'll give 10.5.8 another go, but this time, with the absolute minimum of things checked.

LOL, didn't mean to duplicate my message there :) I just saw that right now. Oh and burn the DVD's as slow as possible... (2x or 4x)

Also, if Iatkos V7 doesn't work, try iDeneb v1.4 I remember installing that on my old Dell Latitude D610 before.

Ugh... This is getting annoying. Most of the distros will install, but will either hang during boot or restart itself during boot!

iPC 10.5.6 is my final hope. It's finished downloading. I'm applying all 5 PPF patches to it right now.

iATKOS v7 is the first distro that was able to go into the installer at full resolution + dual screens (extended).

Ugh...

So far, out of like 7 different distros, Tiger's the only one that actually gets me to the desktop.

Update!

I was able to get iPC 10.5.6 installed. I can get it to boot, but then all of the graphics will get screwed up (as seen in the picture below). I can push the volume keys on my keyboard and I'll heard the chirp sound, so audio is working.

img0279g.th.jpg

I can successfully boot into safe mode. Wifi and LAN are working great. Dual-displays and native resolutions are working fine. I setup screen sharing while in safe mode so I can try and connect to the laptop through screen sharing on my MacBook Pro just to see what would come up on the screen. If I connect to the laptop while in safe mode, I can successfully view and control the desktop. If I boot up in normal mode (with the garbled screen), then it'll just remain black.

So it seems that it's down to the GMA915 drivers... Time to get that stuff working.

Ugh... I'm so close! I've used several different AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext files throughout the day today, and I've found a solution to at least get native resolution to work. I just need to get QE/CI enabled!

I'm also using "ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext".

img0280en.th.jpg

I'll probably just wipe everything out and install the OS that originally came with it (XP). Upgrading to 10.5.8 will probably be a nightmare. I just wish 10.6.3 would've worked. I might give 10.6.3 ONE MORE SHOT.

On second thought, screw 10.6.3. I want to get this 10.5.6 install working properly. SO CLOSE! Just need QE/CI.

Big update!

I went ahead and made a second partition and installed Snow Leopard to that (from within Leopard using iATKOS S3 V2's OSInstall.mpkg). The installation went fine, and I can boot it! That is, after moving all of the GMA915/Framebuffer files somewhere else.

I then installed the 2 modified kext files (AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.bundle & the Elliott one), and guess what? QE/CI! Except the colors are all wrong, but I'm sure I can fix that. This is fantastic. Maybe I can dump Leopard.

So here's my status:

+ 1 partition for Leopard - Everything works but QE/CI (res change works) and the battery meter

+ 1 partition for Snow Leopard - Need to get the battery meter, audio, and PS2 working. The last 2 should be a piece of cake. Still not sure about the battery meter, though.