New Hackintosher, Need Ideas/Help

Bowler4Ever

22 posts in this topic

I built a PC in August last year, and now I am considering doing a triple boot with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (got the disk with my MacBook in '08, not sure if that will work or not). It is an AMD-based system, which is why I have questions.

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 rev 1.0 with an AMD Phenom x4 2.3GHz processor

8GB Patriot Viper DDR2 RAM

PowerColor Radeon HD 4650 1GB

3 HDD (2 SATA 160GB w/ nothing on it, 320GB w/ Windows 7, 1 80GB IDE w/ Ubuntu)

2 DVD drives (1 SATA read/write, 1 IDE reader)

4 sound cards (1 USB-based, 1 on mobo, 1 Sound Blaster Live! (PCI), 1 Encore Electronics (PCI)

I don't really care about all the sound cards, I know the USB one works in OS X, and that's the one I really care about. I'm posting this just to make sure everything will work, and, if not, suggestions on what I should get so I can get a Hackintosh going, as I am very new to this.

Also, people are saying that the iPC is the best Hackintosher, but what others are out there I can use just in case iPC fails for me?

Alright, so I started to do the Hackintosh (using iPC), and I got to a gray screen, and it has been gray with the spinny beach ball for about 20 minutes now. Any ideas on what is going on?

Boot verbose "-v" (without the quotes)

Odds on it will be "still waiting for root"

If so search the forum, has been answered maybe thousands of times.

Reboot and type "-v" without quotes, when the darwin boot options shows up. This will put it in verbose boot, or, instead of showing the grey boot screen it will display the text of everything loading and tell us what the last things that are written when it hangs.

Wow, Dellmantt beat me to the punch. Any of the distro's shouldn't have the "waiting for root device" issues, but you never know. Try iAtkos, thats what I used originally to get OS X installed on my system, then I installed Snow Leopard with a retail disc cause I wanted to be legit...

Reboot and type "-v" without quotes, when the darwin boot options shows up. This will put it in verbose boot, or, instead of showing the grey boot screen it will display the text of everything loading and tell us what the last things that are written when it hangs.

Wow, Dellmantt beat me to the punch. Any of the distro's shouldn't have the "waiting for root device" issues, but you never know. Try iAtkos, thats what I used originally to get OS X installed on my system, then I installed Snow Leopard with a retail disc cause I wanted to be legit...

I already tried it, this is, it goes through just fine, but then I get the blank gray screen and the spinny beach ball on the upper left hand corner, and it does nothing else.

Ok, this is odd. I got to the boot partition menu to config the drives...and NONE OF MY DRIVES were displayed. NOTHING! So, I rebooted and decided to unplug my Windows drive (the 320GB SATA) and the 80GB IDE drive...ran it in -v -x and I got a still waiting for boot device error. Now I plugged the Windows drive back in and it is booting again into setup. I go back into Disk Utilities...and there's STILL NO DRIVES. I'm lost...

Quick update, I snapped pics from verbose mode and also from the Disk Utility and System Profiler apps. Mac OS X DOES recognize the drive in System Profiler, but NOT in Disk utility, even when the drive isn't allocated. Here are the links to these pics. Any help would be fantastic!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bowler4ever/s...57625136547741/ (It's a set)

Ok, this is odd. I got to the boot partition menu to config the drives...and NONE OF MY DRIVES were displayed. NOTHING! So, I rebooted and decided to unplug my Windows drive (the 320GB SATA) and the 80GB IDE drive...ran it in -v -x and I got a still waiting for boot device error. Now I plugged the Windows drive back in and it is booting again into setup. I go back into Disk Utilities...and there's STILL NO DRIVES. I'm lost...

Quick update, I snapped pics from verbose mode and also from the Disk Utility and System Profiler apps. Mac OS X DOES recognize the drive in System Profiler, but NOT in Disk utility, even when the drive isn't allocated. Here are the links to these pics. Any help would be fantastic!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bowler4ever/s...57625136547741/ (It's a set)

Strange -maybe partition destination drive first with "MacDrive" from windows or partition from within Linux.........sorry not much help.

Anybody with any suggestions

I was thinking of formatting the drive with MacDrive, but I wasn't sure, so I left is unallocated

If nobody else has any suggestions, what have you got to lose.

That's what I would try. BUT it is your system.

Ah! unallocated. Not a primary partition, may make a difference.

UPDATE: I ALMOST have it. I think I just need to repartition the drive and Mac OS X will be able to detect the hard drive. It recognized my 320GB Windows drive, so I know I'm on the right track. I had to rearrange the connections on my motherboard so everything would work and also slightly tweak the BIOS. I'm hoping I only have to do the partition/format.

I flipped that on and off, because when I had it on, I couldn't get the DVD drive to run the installer, but I finally got that going. The problem is now...When I go through the installer (using -v -x) I see a set of these (over 7 lines) of something along the lines of:

USBF: 292. 2* AppleUSBOHCI[0x5****00]::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep (5 of those lines)

OR

USBF: 292. 2* AppleUSBOHCI[0x5****00]::InitializeOperationalRegisters Non-NULL hcDoneHead: 0xcfdf1c*0

(* = random digit/letter)

and it's now frozen since my keyboard doesn't come back on

Also, I cannot boot into Windows now, it keeps BSODing on me