ATI 6850

rschultz101

212 posts in this topic

I just bought a 6850 and I was wondering if it would at least boot into OS X.

Forget about hardware acceleration for the moment. A functioning system will be enough for the moment.

I previously had an Nvidia card, and in my impatience I didn't uninstall the kext. I've already installed the card into the system.

from what I've heard from other users in the thread it is indeed possible to boot up os x but you'll be stuck at the dreaded 1024 x 768 (iirc) a user has reported it worked though via a DP port to his ACD so you can try your luck and see

I just gave it a try and no luck. Not even in 'safe mode'. I suppose I'll need to remove the nvidia efi strings first?

1024x768 would be acceptable atm since I'm stuck on an ancient 17" CRT until my new display gets here.

if there is no nvidia card present there really shouldn't be any need to remove the string and people have been having "hit or miss" experiences with their cards so I'm not even sure of a solid way to go about this with no working drivers out right now \=

if there is no nvidia card present there really shouldn't be any need to remove the string and people have been having "hit or miss" experiences with their cards so I'm not even sure of a solid way to go about this with no working drivers out right now \=

If you use kabyl's bootloader along with a rom file and specify GraphicsEnabler=No then you should at least be able to boot without any hardware acceleration and at a default vesa resolution.

I have a Saphire 6850 that I would like to get working in mac os Snow Leopard.

I canot even get mac os to start (screen goes blank and fan goes nuts). Does anybody know if I can get it working? (If so, how?) Or do I have to wait for Apple to support it before it will work at all?

Do you know where I would find this kabyl's bootloader and a rom file? (so I could give it a go...)

@ Setura you can find the bootloader on the first page of the thread here

Kabyl's Bootloader Thread

and there really is no need for a rom file at this point as it wouldn't really prove beneficial because it won't add anything for you.

As for the OS not starting up you should try booting into safe mode via -x at the bootloader line screen

It was on the first page? I must have forgotten about it after reading all these pages... Ill try it as soon as I can.

Also, as I have the card I am willing to ge the guinea pig (and test things out for people) if ever there is a development towards getting the new ATI cards fully working. (As long as it wont harm the card)

• 2 weeks later...
@ Setura you can find the bootloader on the first page of the thread here

Kabyl's Bootloader Thread

and there really is no need for a rom file at this point as it wouldn't really prove beneficial because it won't add anything for you.

As for the OS not starting up you should try booting into safe mode via -x at the bootloader line screen

Actually I can confirm this. I did a rebuild the other day with a pair of crossfired 6870's.

I installed snow leopard (retail disk) using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.5.1. Once the install completed I upgraded to 10.6.6 and before rebooting installed Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r611. I then copied across kabyl's bootloader and set GraphicsEnabler to yes in the com.apple.boot.plist in the extra folder and that was that - job done.

There is no hardware acceleration obviously but it does at least boot at standard resolution and is usable for most things excluding games obviously.

• 3 weeks later...
There's a ATI6000Controller.kext in Lion. And I guess we can expect it in 10.6.x soon, too, since MBP's are shipping with 67xx's.

Sadly the ATI6000Controller.kext still isnt included in the latest 10.6.7 beta so we will have to wait for some kind soul to post it and the framebuffer kexts from the 10.7 lion preview and see if they can be made to work with snowy. Failing that we may have to wait for lion.

there's a much greater likely that you won't have to wait for Lion to possibly get some 6xxx support because it's not like the new MBP's are going to be shipping with Lion on there it will just be a different variant of snow leo (from what I gathered). This is in respect to the mobile line of course since Apple hasn't used any 6xxx desktop variants in their desktop line there is most likely only going to be support for their AMD M gpu's.

Of course that's where us hackintoshers pick up from there to make it work freely with just about any 6xxx card.

Sadly the ATI6000Controller.kext still isnt included in the latest 10.6.7 beta so we will have to wait for some kind soul to post it and the framebuffer kexts from the 10.7 lion preview and see if they can be made to work with snowy. Failing that we may have to wait for lion.

Or even better, if one of the first people to get a new MBP could post ATI6000Controller.kext for Snow Leopard it would be sensational.

looks like we will have highend 6000 support of ati radeon hd

I have partial success with a 6870 so far (all resolutions working however still no qe/ci yet) - will post more details when i finish working on it.

I have partial success with a 6870 so far (all resolutions working however still no qe/ci yet) - will post more details when i finish working on it.

using kexts from lion ? make sure to use the right kexts for 6870 and maybe opengl.fr :P stop by #radeonHD @ vishnu.osx86.hu irc

using kexts from lion ? make sure to use the right kexts for 6870 and maybe opengl.fr :D stop by #radeonHD @ vishnu.osx86.hu irc

I used all of the ATIxxxx files from lion along with a recompiled chameleon bootloader containing the correct device id etc but stupidly that was last night and this morning I have installed a new motherboard and processor and cant even boot into os x or boot via my usual boot cd's. Once I can actually get back in I will try and pick up from where I left off.

I'm getting the same results (no QE/CI), but now I have full 2560x1440 resolution to my Apple LED Cinema Display!

post-639606-1298752176_thumb.png