ATI 6850

rschultz101

212 posts in this topic

well good to hear, there is hope, for opencl,

did try starfire, on a quad 3.5ghz with a gt240, and did not do any better than handbrake !?

on top , it only likes quicktime files,.... no mkv files,.... another limit, stumbling block.

I mean, if it was quicktime compatible, we would not need to re-encode it , on a mac !?

catch22 ....

still looking forward, to use those 1.5TFP ( terra flops) as a space heater, winter is coming,...

question, does AMD / ATI support Solaris ? .... since I'am looking for an ZFS home NAS, apple dropped the ball,...

its a preview

with 1 core you are right

slow ? you are not right

encodes a 1 min 720 p H.264 movie with 3 Mbit into a720 p H.264 movie with 998 Kbit in :

12 seconds

this is on an I 7 950 @ 3,6 GHz 6-8-6-20 Mushkin Redline @ 1600 and a stock ATI HD 5770

need some help

step-by-step if possible,

currently running , carti bios, with chameleon, and a GT240 as a 9800gt

- have gigabyte 8650 1GB

- loaded 10.6.5

- got 8650 bios .bin

so where do I put the rom ( .bin) file

what kext do I need to edit

any addon, to initialize the card ?

want to try with chameleon first, but I'am open to try,

don't think I need to remove carti bios (mobo), there should be some settings,...

but can flash if needed.

thanks, will post , info, once running, benchmark,...etc.

need some help

step-by-step if possible,

currently running , carti bios, with chameleon, and a GT240 as a 9800gt

- have gigabyte 8650 1GB

- loaded 10.6.5

- got 8650 bios .bin

so where do I put the rom ( .bin) file

what kext do I need to edit

any addon, to initialize the card ?

want to try with chameleon first, but I'am open to try,

don't think I need to remove carti bios (mobo), there should be some settings,...

but can flash if needed.

thanks, will post , info, once running, benchmark,...etc.

I'm trying to get this working as well.

Name the .bin file 1002_6739.bin and put in /Extra, and UseAtiROM=yes as a boot flag or in/Extra/ com.apple.Boot.plist.

It seems ATIRadeonX3000.kext is one of the relevant .kexts. (The 6800 device IDs are in it.) There's no ATI6000Controller.kext yet.

my /Extra com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>device-properties</key>

--------------

where do I put UseAtiROM=yes

what syntax

do you know any other flags, that might be relevant

aka pciroot ? list all that I should try, or could use

thanks

I'm trying to get this working as well.

Name the .bin file 1002_6739.bin and put in /Extra, and UseAtiROM=yes as a boot flag or in/Extra/ com.apple.Boot.plist.

It seems ATIRadeonX3000.kext is one of the relevant .kexts. (The 6800 device IDs are in it.) There's no ATI6000Controller.kext yet.

my /Extra com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>device-properties</key>

--------------

where do I put UseAtiROM=yes

what syntax

thanks

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>yes</string>

update:

techpowerup has gigabyte 6850 rom, that is correct

RBE 1.26 does not extract bios, does not even recognize the card !?

ati bios tool did, same as techpowerup download

GV-R685D5-1GB F2

sub vendor 0x1458

edited com.apple.boot.plist,.. extra added <key>useatirom</key> string yes...

P43 mobo with 0.8b cartri, and chameleon bios,...

does not load atirom ...

need some sort of init ?!

how does it know to load 1002_6739.bin ?

dug out another disk, doing a CCC , will be able to use different boot loader,

formating with GPT , no MBR.

so , what boot loader should I use ?

how can I check if it finds the graphics card, aka vendor id / device ID,

any of the logs?

others:

can't rebuild mkext, failed.

only at 1024x768 right now, DVI/HDMI does mirror,

Displayport to HDMI adapter,... does not post screen

update:

techpowerup has gigabyte 6850 rom, that is correct

RBE 1.26 does not extract bios, does not even recognize the card !?

ati bios tool did, same as techpowerup download

GV-R685D5-1GB F2

sub vendor 0x1458

edited com.apple.boot.plist,.. extra added <key>useatirom</key> string yes...

P43 mobo with 0.8b cartri, and chameleon bios,...

does not load atirom ...

need some sort of init ?!

how does it know to load 1002_6739.bin ?

dug out another disk, doing a CCC , will be able to use different boot loader,

formating with GPT , no MBR.

so , what boot loader should I use ?

how can I check if it finds the graphics card, aka vendor id / device ID,

any of the logs?

others:

can't rebuild mkext, failed.

only at 1024x768 right now, DVI/HDMI does mirror,

Displayport to HDMI adapter,... does not post screen

i send to you pm see it :P

update: sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:6739] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:21f9]

--

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa88]

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:aa88]

the bios files I got, where .bin extension,

now I did rename 1002_6739.rom

or do I need to convert from xx.bin to xxx.rom

you didnt added device id and framebuffer name to boot file so i send to you my mail

as you didnt know which framebuffer will work

so will need many tests and tomorrow will talk to you when i return from college

the atiradeonx3000.kext has an entry 0x67391002

that should be my card 6850

can somebody explain, how that framebuffer works ?

unzip vervet -> gets me a boot file,

so I copy that to root, with sudo !? chameleon rc 4 or rc5

any boot options ?

do I need to edit any other kext ?

what about an aty_init ?

thanks

tbuffer works ?

unzip vervet -> gets me a boot file,

so I copy that to root, with sudo !? chameleon rc 4 or rc5

any boot options ?

maybe vervet works , 6xxx are juniper derived chips...

only a thought ...

thanks, think I need to flash the mobo bios first,

since carti only works with chameleon,

unless I could give it a shot.

still need an overview / help, how it works with, getting an ATI card to work.

how do you know that an ati card is recognized ?

maybe vervet works , 6xxx are juniper derived chips...

only a thought ...

well good to hear, there is hope, for opencl,

did try starfire, on a quad 3.5ghz with a gt240, and did not do any better than handbrake !?

on top , it only likes quicktime files,.... no mkv files,.... another limit, stumbling block.

I mean, if it was quicktime compatible, we would not need to re-encode it , on a mac !?

catch22 ....

still looking forward, to use those 1.5TFP ( terra flops) as a space heater, winter is coming,...

question, does AMD / ATI support Solaris ? .... since I'am looking for an ZFS home NAS, apple dropped the ball,...

Most AMD GPUs (no idea about the current crop) have run quite decently on Solaris (I have used only ATI graphics hardware since 1997, and that includes *all* my Solaris experimentation, which goes back to Solaris 9). Where Solaris (as a desktop OS) falls down is driver lateness compared to Linux (let alone Windows); however, Solaris trumps Linux in overall stability (not the least is due to ZFS, which is part and parcel of Solaris' framework, even on the desktop); Solaris is *still* big in financial services (read bank and credit-union back-office networks) for a reason. (It was, in fact, the continued popularity of Solaris in credit-union back-office operations that led me to keep up my experimentation with Solaris.)

The other big reason I kept up (and, somehow, will continue to keep up) with Solaris (and now OpenSolaris and its forks) is because Solaris/OpenSolaris is the only no-cost UNIX out there. (The various Linux distributions borrow a lot *from* UNIX, and by design; however, they aren't UNIX. Solaris/OpenSolaris, on the other hand is UNIX, albeit easily the most user-friendly UNIX in existence (another major plus in Solaris/OpenSolaris' favor) - the transition between Solaris/OpenSolaris and OS X (and in either direction) from a desktop user's POV is scarily easy (in fact, easier than between OS X and any of the BSDs, despite the nuts-and-bolts similarities); why do you think that a lot of old Solaris fans are migrating to OS X instead?)

you didnt added device id and framebuffer name to boot file so i send to you my mail

as you didnt know which framebuffer will work

so will need many tests and tomorrow will talk to you when i return from college

I'd be interested in getting this to work too. I'm currently trying to get a Sapphire 6870 running properly with 10.6.5

I have copied the bios file to extras and renamed it 1002_6738.rom, I have added the UseAtiROM key to com.apple.Boot.plist and tried AtiFb=Vervet (and a few others) so far however not much happening. You mentioned adding device id to the boot.plist - how is that done?

I'm using the latest version of chameleon btw.

currently there are no solaris drivers for ATI 6000 series GPU's,...

oracle, pulled opensolaris fork support,...

oracle pulled all, sun AMD server support

if it was not for VDI and ZFS, it be dead.

I grew up on SunOS,...

right now, solaris looks promising for home NAS, since apple pulled ZFS on snow leopard.

so nexenta looks good, till solaris express 11 is released,.... with an nvidia GPU.

fyi, between sun,amd and tyco, lost my retirement,...

Most AMD GPUs (no idea about the current crop) have run quite decently on Solaris (I have used only ATI graphics hardware since 1997, and that includes *all* my Solaris experimentation, which goes back to Solaris 9). Where Solaris (as a desktop OS) falls down is driver lateness compared to Linux (let alone Windows); however, Solaris trumps Linux in overall stability (not the least is due to ZFS, which is part and parcel of Solaris' framework, even on the desktop); Solaris is *still* big in financial services (read bank and credit-union back-office networks) for a reason. (It was, in fact, the continued popularity of Solaris in credit-union back-office operations that led me to keep up my experimentation with Solaris.)

The other big reason I kept up (and, somehow, will continue to keep up) with Solaris (and now OpenSolaris and its forks) is because Solaris/OpenSolaris is the only no-cost UNIX out there. (The various Linux distributions borrow a lot *from* UNIX, and by design; however, they aren't UNIX. Solaris/OpenSolaris, on the other hand is UNIX, albeit easily the most user-friendly UNIX in existence (another major plus in Solaris/OpenSolaris' favor) - the transition between Solaris/OpenSolaris and OS X (and in either direction) from a desktop user's POV is scarily easy (in fact, easier than between OS X and any of the BSDs, despite the nuts-and-bolts similarities); why do you think that a lot of old Solaris fans are migrating to OS X instead?)

Barts is a re designed Cypress but it differs on a whole of course.

And I've been stuck with that 1024x768 for sometime with my Sapphire 6850

10.6.5 presented no sign of 6000 drivers so I'm just sticking to my 4850 since it works perfectly.

I've tried ROM dumps like some users have already to no avail so I'll just sit back a bit until apple releases something for the new radeons or if someone pulls some apple magic out of their pockets.

for what I gathered,

aserbl 1.9 no atirom, but framebuffer,

graphicsenabler yes

be installing chameleon first, aserebl 1.9 on top, and try vervet framebuffer,...

but need to reflash mobo first,.... and don't have enough room in case,

need te re-cable it, or ....

10.6.5 has kext entries, but they look backwards, and there is some sort of init needed,

official combo, think be coming in 3-4 weeks.

won't be great, still on opengl 2.1 .... and 1/2 the pci speed,...

my mobo does not support 2 cards, that be a workaround, for gamers,...

Barts is a Cypress design.

on paper

Barts has 5d shaders. , a direct descendant of the Evergreen series.

Barts doesn't have double-precision FP capabilities. That seems to imply that the cores are more closely related to Juniper or Redwood than Cypress

It uses a redwood memory controller & the same shaders as redwood.

"It s 140% "Juniper with a different memory controller". (edit: different ratio's for the TMU'd & ROP's of course)"**** , and that may be the reason of no FP64 support.

*** barts genealogy

looks like 10.6.5 is finished, they started on 10.6.6 ...

that should mean, an official release is coming next.

Here's hoping it includes 6850 and 6870 support then!

I discovered something at the end of my successful attempt to get a Diamond Radeon HD 5770 card working with my hackintosh running Cartri 0.8 bios. I bring it up in this thread because I think the OP (rschultz101) and two others (Verdi1987 and sch8mid) are running Cartri bios as well, and this discovery may affect the outcome of getting the 6xxx series card working with Cartri Bios.

In my 5770 installation on my Cartri 0.8 Hackintosh, I wasn't able to boot successfully using all the 5xxx support bootloader and the various framebuffers until I chance upon user sch8mid's success getting his 5770 working on his own Cartri Hackintosh. Distilling his success, it turns out the critical component that was needed for a successful boot with the 5770 card was to add the following key to com.apple.Boot.plist. Without it, I get a kernel panic during boot.

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
  <string>1</string>

There is a remote possibility with the similarity in the 6xxx series, that Cartri bios users would need that same key in their com.apple.Boot.plist. We'll see what Cartri's reply is on this issue since I posted this new found info in his Cartri Mac Bios thread as well.

Hoping you guys all get success with the 6xxx series card. Good luck.