ATI 6850

rschultz101

212 posts in this topic

Guest ^Andy^
Before I was using no boot flags at all. I used the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ISO from tonymacs as Chameleon v2 RC5 failed to boot SL. I got my Radeon to work using the kexts I extracted from an OS X Lion retail image, but I didn't have acceleration. So I installed you package to get that done and bam, no working boot anymore.

I didn't modify any kexts

If chameleon rc5 won't boot your system and the lion kexts gave you no acceleration then I'm afraid you have other problems that I can't help with.

Guest ^Andy^
Okay, i've safe-booted into the console and renamed ATI6000Controller.kext and ATIFramebuffer.kext

This now allows me to boot

EDIT: I can boot as long as I specify GraphicsEnabler=No

Yes because with graphicsenabler=yes you would be trying to load the 2 files you just renamed. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Andy, hi, and thanks for throwing together the installer.

I was upgrading from a 9500GT. I ran the install and both my monitors are working, but on my 30" I am only able to get 1280x900. Not sure what is up with that.

System specs are UD3P/Q9550/Sapphire 6850 1GB/10.6.7

Tried putting GraphicsEnabler=No in the com.apple.bios.plist file, but that didn't help.

System Profiler:

ATI Radeon HD NI40:

Chipset Model:	ATI Radeon HD NI40
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 Slot:	PCI
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	1024 MB
 Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
 Device ID:	0x6739
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 ROM Revision:	NVIDIA Graphics Engine DSDT
 Displays:
DELL3007WFPHC:
 Resolution:	1280 x 800
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Rotation:	Supported
DELL 2005FPW:
 Resolution:	1050 x 1680 @ 60 Hz
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Rotation:	90
Display Connector:
Display Connector:

:rolleyes:

Not sure what that means, when I did a search for the term it popped up all over the place. The only thing I remember doing involving DSDT files was getting my audio working a long time ago, but honestly I don't remember the first thing of what I did to get it to work (admittedly sort of at best).

When I start-up, the normal bios stuff appears on both screens, but when Chameleon loads, it loads only on my rotated 20" monitor (which it doesn't recognize as rotated). Then it sometimes recognizes the 30" after I log in, but sometimes I have to unplug the thing and replug it back in to get it to even recognize the 30".

At this point I am lost in the woods...

Guest ^Andy^
Not sure what that means, when I did a search for the term it popped up all over the place. The only thing I remember doing involving DSDT files was getting my audio working a long time ago, but honestly I don't remember the first thing of what I did to get it to work (admittedly sort of at best).

When I start-up, the normal bios stuff appears on both screens, but when Chameleon loads, it loads only on my rotated 20" monitor (which it doesn't recognize as rotated). Then it sometimes recognizes the 30" after I log in, but sometimes I have to unplug the thing and replug it back in to get it to even recognize the 30".

At this point I am lost in the woods...

try renaming or removing your dsdt and boot without it - see if that helps.

try renaming or removing your dsdt and boot without it - see if that helps.

Well, that led me into the gaping maw of hell. Kernel panics and then when I renamed the file back on another machine, still wouldn't boot. Also couldn't get it to even recognize the SL install disc off of the chameleon bootloader.

Looks like I am going to do a fresh install to start with. Give it a shot this weekend of getting the video card to work before sending it back. Now gotta figure out what the current state of the art in installs is since I haven't done this for a while.

Guest ^Andy^
Well, that led me into the gaping maw of hell. Kernel panics and then when I renamed the file back on another machine, still wouldn't boot. Also couldn't get it to even recognize the SL install disc off of the chameleon bootloader.

Looks like I am going to do a fresh install to start with. Give it a shot this weekend of getting the video card to work before sending it back. Now gotta figure out what the current state of the art in installs is since I haven't done this for a while.

Is now a bad time to mention that you should probably have made a backup first? :)

CarbonCopy Cloner is handy for that!

Is now a bad time to mention that you should probably have made a backup first? :blink:

CarbonCopy Cloner is handy for that!

I have a back-up, and all my stuff is also cloud backed-up.

Just figure I will do a clean install to clear out old cruft and try and get this video card working. Sort of wish I had an SSD or something fast to do it on, but am unwilling to wait to get one in.

I'd have liked to get the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method working, but it seems to be a no-go thus far, so I'll just do the older lifehacker install followed by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and see if that gets the video working properly.

Guest ^Andy^
I have a back-up, and all my stuff is also cloud backed-up.

Just figure I will do a clean install to clear out old cruft and try and get this video card working. Sort of wish I had an SSD or something fast to do it on, but am unwilling to wait to get one in.

I'd have liked to get the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method working, but it seems to be a no-go thus far, so I'll just do the older lifehacker install followed by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and see if that gets the video working properly.

Well for what it's worth I know how you feel - Im still wasting my time trying to get some life out of a 6970 card even though I know damned well none of the current framebuffers support it - I guess I must just love reinstalling and learning new lessons in futility lol. On the plus side though I now know how to manually force an EDID for my monitor (not that it helped in the slightest).