104 replies to this topic

Klohannes

Klohannes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi dudes,

the tutorial is originaly german. i wrote it for a german forum called root86.org. it's for the EeePC 1000H. Snow Leopard runs very well and smooth on it, almost a a real macbook, but just a bit smaller.

Works:
- Vanilla Kernel 10.4.0 (no Atom patched kernel needed)
- Audio out (Speaker/Line)
- Audio in (Mic/Line)
- Ethernet
- WiFi
- Webcam
- Bluetooth
- Sleep
- Speedstep
- Powerbutton
- Restart/Shutdown
- Fn Keys/Hot Keys (on some eeepc's it wont work. so you can use Spark)

Doesn't work:
-sometimes the Fn Keys/Hot Keys

Needed:
EeePC 1000H
Snow Leopard Retail DVD
USB Stick/HD 8GB
a running Hack-/Macintosh System
some files -->> Klick

1. Pre-Installation

- at first you need to update the BIOS to ver. 2204 (WARNING: no downgrade possible),
- create an image of the retail DVD with the diskutility
- restore the image on the 8GB USB Stick or harddisk
- run the "NetbookBootMaker" from the Apps folder that you've downloaded.
- select the Snow Leopard install partition

2. Installation

- boot from the usb stick
- run now the installation like on a real mac.
- during the installation, partition the harddrive with a GUID partitontable. find it on the button "options" in the diskutility
- if the installation hangs at 11 or 10 minutes left, just power off your EeePC and go on with point 3.

3. Post-Installation

- Now boot again from the USB Stick but cancel the chameleon countdown and select the harddriver on that you installed Snow Leopard
- create a account
- run the "NetbookInstaller" from the "Apps" folder and select your harddrive in the dropdown menu
- mark with a cross
- Install Chameleon 2 NBI
- Install General Extensions
- Enable Remote CD
- Fix Bluetooth
... and klick "Install"
- when it's done copy the Kext files from the "Extensions" folder to /Extra/GeneralExtensions/.
- Delete OSXRestart.kext und copy EvOreboot to /Extra/GeneralExtensions/
- copy the dsdt.aml from the "DSDT 2204" folder to /Extra/ (check if you got 1 or 2 GB)
- install the Voodoohda.prefpane with a doubleklick
- run the "UpdateExtra" in /Extra/
- to run Wireless LAN with the original card you have to install the drivers with the "STA_RT2860.......dmg" image and choose Leopard
- now Reboot.
-run "AboutThisMac.pkg", "EnableDVDPlayback.pkg" und "Asus EEE1000H - Hotkeys Enabler.mpkg" from the "Apps" folder. (the hot keys doesn't worl on my eeepc, maybe on your's)

4. Update 10.6.4

- download the newest NetbookInstaller from Meklort
- run the NetbookInstaller und select ONLY:
- Install Chameleon 2 NBI bootloader
- Fix bluetooth
- click the "Install" button
- replace the old sleepenabler in /Extra/GeneralExtensions/ with the new version and run "ExtraUpdate" in /Extra/
- now install the Comboupdate of Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and install it.

DONE:
now Snow Leopard should run on you EeePC 1000H ;)

please correct me, if there is something wrong. i'm not englisch.

wrighty208

wrighty208

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks very much for the translation!

Couple of questions though:-

• What version of the retail OSX do you use to start with? Is it 10.6?
  • Should you copy the SL_Extra_eeePC.zip onto the USB stick with the installation prior to install?
  • what screen resolution do you have during install? When I boot from the USB I am missing the bottom of the screen - looks like it's set at 1024x768 but my screen is only capable of 1024x600 hence it cuts the bottom off. This is preventing me from completing the install.
Thanks for any help.

Klohannes

Klohannes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I used 10.6.0 but 10.6.3 should also work.
you can copy the .zip folder onto the usb stick, but you dont have to, because its just for point 3.
during installation I had 1024x600.

wrighty208

wrighty208

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I used 10.6.0 but 10.6.3 should also work.
you can copy the .zip folder onto the usb stick, but you dont have to, because its just for point 3.
during installation I had 1024x600.

I still have a problem. I've created an image of 10.6.0 and restored it to a 16GB USB stick, then run NetbookBootMaker and booted from the USB stick in the 1000H. The setup program opens in 1024x768 so I can't see the bottom of any menus. I need it in 1024x600.

Any other ideas?

originaladam

originaladam

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks so much for this. The only things worth mentioning are that there is a new version of netbook maker (0.8.4) available, and on the install of OSX, it hangs at about 10 or 11 minutes left. On my 5th attempt, I thought to look at the log and saw there was a repeated "directory not found" at the end in the post install section. I just quit out, restarted and followed the directions from there and everything was fine.
Its also worth mentioning that /GeneralExtentions/ is a subfolder of /extras/. That wasn't clear on the first mention. Other than that, this was the most helpful tutorial I've found and my 1000h is running 10.6.4 like a champ.

Klohannes

Klohannes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
thanks for the cerrection. i corrected these points.
I know that there is a new version of the Netbook-Installer but i like the old versions(0.8.3) more, because the new installs so much crap that is unneeded for the 1000H.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I have a question about Wi-Fi. How come you install the Leopard wifi package. Why isn't there a Snow Leopard package? And, what is the 'AboutThisMac.pkg' and 'EnableDVDPlayback.pkg' for. And does QE/CI work? So you can play simple games? Thanks! :)

Klohannes

Klohannes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
there is just official support for 10.5 Leopard, but the brivers work also with 10.6 Snow Leopard.
AboutThisMac.pkg fixes the About This Mac windows. normaly you'll see CPU: Unknown @ 1.6 GHz.
the EnablerDVDPlayback.pkg is to enabler DVD playback with an external UDB-DVD drive.
simple games could be possible to play, but i've never tried it.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Thank You for the fast reply! Do the Wi-Fi drivers work with the standard wifi menu?

Klohannes

Klohannes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
no, there'll be an app in your dock, wich will start on every bootup. it should connect to the wifi automaticly.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
OK, i read somewhere that someone made an identical menu though, maybe ill try it. Is there a way to do this out of the EFI partition instead of an Extra directory?

Klohannes

Klohannes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
you can if you want, but why?

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
So that you don't have the Extra directory cluttering up your Root disk. And a personal preference.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
I have one more question, are you able to see the ripple effect when activating a widget in dashboard? If you can, then QE/CI works.

Klohannes

Klohannes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
QE/CI works :)

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Thanks! I have a first gen MacBook and it had a GMA 950, which is what this 1000h has. But do you have video out, and video on built-in LCD? I'm asking because people are reporting that they only get video out, not on the internal display with the GMA 950 graphics card. Sorry I'm asking so many questions. I haven't bought the netbook yet so I want to make sure it supports these things.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
And what version do you have to upgrade the BIOS to?

Klohannes

Klohannes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
internet and external display works, but no screen mirroring. you'll get vertical strips so the eeepc is unuseful until you unplug the display. so, it would be better to never try mirroring. the BIOS version, wich runs best is 2204, so the newest.
if you want to have a mac netbook I'd buy the 1000H, Dell Mini 10v or the Lenovo S10/S10e (but no ethernet).
these are the best netbook for OSX, wich I know.

Jadar

Jadar

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Thanks for the reply. But no mirroring, can it do screen extension? Does that mean no Keynote presentations? Or could you but a USB video out thingy?

Klohannes

Klohannes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
screen extension works perfect. if you want to do a presentations you can use the second screen as the persentation monitor. I don't know, if keynote works with an extensionscreen. openoffice does with out problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy