Atheros AR9285 fix for Snow Leopard - Mavericks

Andy Vandijck

155 posts in this topic

Please halp me.... i've updated my g73jw to 10.6.8 and with all drivers and all solution that i found on the net my wifi atheros 9285 won't work!...

any have try to get working?

change smbios.plist and fix in dsdt.. the

Device (PCI) _ADR change to _UID

get a dsdt and show me in ioreg where it is and i can add it.

if u dont have dsdt goto auto-patcher thread.

Thanks... i'm trying to install Lion right now (some say that the nvidia drivers resolve freeze with fermi).. when i get a working system i create the dsdt with auto-patcher... ;)

I've installed (from hours and hours of tests) Lion GM on G73JW.... used DSDT.aml from auto-patcher (used script from G53JW but don't have do many test for shutdown or sleep yet....... noone have DSDT.aml for G73?...).. for get funtional the AirPort i found a IO802 kext that work (also on Snow Leopard)... if help i'll post it when get home.....

I have a better legacy fix.

This one will work for 10.6.5 (and better).

It uses DeviceMergeNub to inject the device-id and name of the device and in the AtherosFusion21Interface it also injects the IO80211Locale and IO80211CountryCode (without EEPROM mod it even works).

Change IO80211CountryCode to your country (BE, US, ...), default is X0.

Must probably be installed in /S/L/E (not sure though, haven't tested /E/E).

Thanks Andy, this is working perfect on my SL 64 10.68 on my Asus M50 with a AR9280. Didn't work in E/E but in S/L/E., I will try with the DSDT when I have more time.

After some testing, once in a while i will boot into osx and have no wifi, all that's needed is for me to turn off and turn on the wifi and it's working again.

Yes. Now AR9285 works on N router.

For use to install new driver for AR9285 - http://www.mediafire.com/?e3tb7nb274xdx21

Driver works only on MacOS X 10.6.7 !

P.S. New driver based on AirPortAtheros9388.kext from iMac 2011...

Hey guys - I know I'm coming in a bit late here but when I load the kext from 10.6.5 I am able to see my networks and connect to the internet with airport with b/g speeds. Of course, I want N. When I load the above linked kext, the wifi doesn't work at all and the system profiler doesn't even recognize the card. Ignore my sig, the computer I'm trying this on is an ASUS 1005HA with the AR9285 device ID. I'm thinking of updating to 10.6.8 and seeing if that works but I'm looking for any other option to get this working. Any suggestions appreciated.

EDIT: Upgraded to 10.6.8 and I am still unable to use N mode. It sees my router but will not connect. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys - I know I'm coming in a bit late here but when I load the kext from 10.6.5 I am able to see my networks and connect to the internet with airport with b/g speeds. Of course, I want N. When I load the above linked kext, the wifi doesn't work at all and the system profiler doesn't even recognize the card. Ignore my sig, the computer I'm trying this on is an ASUS 1005HA with the AR9285 device ID. I'm thinking of updating to 10.6.8 and seeing if that works but I'm looking for any other option to get this working. Any suggestions appreciated.

EDIT: Upgraded to 10.6.8 and I am still unable to use N mode. It sees my router but will not connect. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

change the channel in the router . set preamble to short not long..

the eeprom tool some let u disable 40hz or 20hz transmitter (not sure which would need disabling but its related to it.. or just change wireless card) .. im using N 150mb cheap wireless netgear wnr1000 v3 with a cheap 6$ AR5B91 from ebay

also sbmios.plist of model u choosing to fake is important.. i had issues with diff models.. also u need to add or replace depending on model by model... In DSDT.aml of your motherboard. the

Device (PCI) has _ADR .. bellow it add or change to _UID .. 0 if says 1 .. or leave 1 .. test results. if no go with adding . then replace _ADR with _UID.

MAKE SURE U HAVE IN SMBIOS.PLIST the Model Identifier of the board your faking example MackBookx,x and latest chameleon 10xx

the eeprom tool some let u disable 40hz or 20hz transmitter (not sure which would need disabling but its related to it.. or just change wireless card) .. im using N 150mb cheap wireless netgear wnr1000 v3 with a cheap 6$ AR5B91 from ebay

Hi - thanks for your response. I've seen many people talk about replacing the wireless card, isn't it built-in to the computer? Or is it a simple swap? I'm dual booting windows on this, so it has to work for both OS.

also sbmios.plist of model u choosing to fake is important.. i had issues with diff models.. also u need to add or replace depending on model by model... In DSDT.aml of your motherboard. the

Device (PCI) has _ADR .. bellow it add or change to _UID .. 0 if says 1 .. or leave 1 .. test results. if no go with adding . then replace _ADR with _UID.

This doesn't mean anything to me. Sorry, I'm using iAtkos S3 V2, I just picked the right options and it all works (except wifi ;) ). There's too much shorthand here for me to make out what I'm supposed to do. I'm not lazy, I'll do what I have to do, but I'm no expert and need clearer instructions.

Thanks again for your input.

sorry i babble clues for googlers..guess youre not a googler

pretty much you have to add a DSDT fix to make the card look like atheros device id 2a

the devicemergenub finishes it off with the fcc and us or whatever country youre in.

how to replace card http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yehHh0GmnU0

you need a half height .. half size card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-VGN-NS130E-WiFi-W...1-/290572972102

or search for vgn-ns series atheros card from sony or search ebay for Ar5B91 and look for half size model.. sometimes description doesnt say half.

option 2 is bcm94321 in half size

EDIT: bcm94322 is all i see for half size=they dont work go with ar5b91 half

• 2 weeks later...
As you may know Apple was kind enough to fix the support for AR9285 WiFi card on 10.6.5

I will show you the easy way to make the driver load using DSDT and not touching the original kext:

From within OS X install the new IO80211Family.kext (present in fix package) instead of the old one.

The following also needs the DTGP function present in the DSDT.dsl like this:

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
{
	If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
			{
				/* 0000 */	0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
				/* 0008 */	0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
			}))
	{
		If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
		{
			If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
			{
				Store (Buffer (One)
					{
						0x03
					}, Arg4)
				Return (One)
			}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
			{
				Return (One)
			}
		}
	}

Store (Buffer (One)
		{
			0x00
		}, Arg4)
	Return (Zero)
}

Locate your card on what root port is and add this code (e.g. on Acer Aspire One D250 = J380)

Add the _PRW and _DSM part as shown below and change the device name to ARPT:

Device (ARPT)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x00)
				Name (_PRW, Package (0x02) {0x0B, 0x05}) // If you want WOL(Wake on LAN support) if not use desired sleep state
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0c)
						{
							"AAPL,slot-name", Buffer () {"AirPort"}, 
							"device-id", Buffer () {0x2A, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00}, 
							"device_type", Buffer () {"AirPort"}, 
							"model", Buffer () {"Atheros 9285 8802.11 b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter"}, 
							"subsystem-id", Buffer () {0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00}, 
							"subsystem-vendor-id", Buffer () {0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

Also I will show you the easy way to get rid of that "ATHR: Unknown Locale" warning ( I don't like spam on my log...)

First download attached fix files from the link below which contains the eeprom tool

Boot in Windows and:

Open the eeprom tool.

Choose the path and file name(do not use .bin or whatever, just a plain name like original) then save original eeprom.

Then install ComView for WiFi trial (ca6 folder in fix package).

Install then launch, it will ask to install custom driver, do it.

Use attached tool (RCU.exe in fix package) to change the RegDomain, from my experience 0x0 is the best, this works on all Atheros cards. Be aware that may be illegal to change the RegDoman on your country...

Also do this on your own risk, don't blame me if you brick the card, you have been warned!

f you want to dump modified eeprom after change, you have to uninstall comview driver and put default.

However the eeprom tool allow only read/dump not write, guess it needs a special driver that I don't have, maybe someone good on IDA can figure out what it needs...

Enjoy and Share!

Atheros AR9285 fix files:

http://rapidshare.com/files/425489338/Atheros_AR9285_fix.zip

All credits go to "THe KiNG"

JUST replace the KEXT do not work in 10.6.8 with my AR9285.I cant find the DSDT location Does anybody coulk help to locate it?

0857e51c737747d6035c3be31c7d5258.png

57d0304f57dc26cd4e5e80377dba9e4f.png

6194ede9d4b1b6445311ab910f85b429.png

c1bfaadac94332bdb6a7e1cd909945d4.png

JUST replace the KEXT do not work in 10.6.8 with my AR9285.I cant find the DSDT location Does anybody coulk help to locate it?

how about if u post your dsdt.zip

but i think its in pex4 in 9c location

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, so I tried installing the 9285 kext uploaded here(the one that came from the 2011 iMac) and it doesn't work.I mention that I have 10.6.7 and my machine is a eeepc 1005HA.If I go into system details(or whatever it's called) in the airport submenu, the system does not recognize my card, it tells me the version of IO802blabla but it does not tell me that my WiFi card is an atheros ar9285...DO I need to install any other kexts besides that IO802blabla kext?

• 2 months later...
Ok guys, so I tried installing the 9285 kext uploaded here(the one that came from the 2011 iMac) and it doesn't work.I mention that I have 10.6.7 and my machine is a eeepc 1005HA.If I go into system details(or whatever it's called) in the airport submenu, the system does not recognize my card, it tells me the version of IO802blabla but it does not tell me that my WiFi card is an atheros ar9285...DO I need to install any other kexts besides that IO802blabla kext?

no kext needed.. just proper smbios.plist and in ioregistryexplorer the location of 168c device 2b.. to add in dsdt the device as 2A.

(its all on first post)

i had asus u36sd with 168c,2b installed with Lion 7.0

I dont know how to make it see the device.

i see the device on ioreg.

the lspci looks weird now on lion than SL.

the dsdt on osx not created wireless dsdt feature, but the windows xp dsdt does.

does your kexts support Lion, Andy?

i had asus u36sd with 168c,2b installed with Lion 7.0

I dont know how to make it see the device.

i see the device on ioreg.

the lspci looks weird now on lion than SL.

the dsdt on osx not created wireless dsdt feature, but the windows xp dsdt does.

does your kexts support Lion, Andy?

no need for kext if u fix dsdt with fake device id 2A

where 168c,2b is in ioreg ?

place this code under _ADR of it in dsdt

{
					Store (Package (0x0c)
						{
						}, Local0)
					Return (Local0)
				}

post dsdt and ioreg

dear LatinMcG, thanks for helping.

Here is my untouched dsdt, ssdt, lspci, ioreg, and devicelist of U36SD, i5 2410

DSDT_IOREG_u36SD.zip

Regards

i didnt need untouched dsdt.. i wanted to fix your patched dsdt with atheros 2b fix (fake it to be 2A).

find and replace WLAN with ARPT then add the code on prior post under _ADR of Device (ARPT) which was WLAN

would look like this

Device (ARPT)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x00)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0c)
						{
						}, Local0)
					Return (Local0)
				}
				Method (_RMV, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (Zero)
				}
				OperationRegion (MINP, PCI_Config, 0x00, 0x68)
				Field (MINP, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
					VNUM,   32, 
							Offset (0x09), 
					PINF,   8, 
					SBCC,   8, 
					BSCC,   8, 
							Offset (0x2C), 
					SNUM,   32, 
							Offset (0x34)
				}
				Method (MPDP, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					If (LEqual (SNUM, 0xFFFFFFFF))
					{
						Return (0x00)
					}
					If (LNotEqual (BSCC, 0x02))
					{
						Return (0x00)
					}
					Return (One)
				}
				Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x03))
				}
			}

i didnt need untouched dsdt.. i wanted to fix your patched dsdt with atheros 2b fix (fake it to be 2A).

find and replace WLAN with ARPT then add the code on prior post under _ADR of Device (ARPT) which was WLAN

would look like this

Device (ARPT)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x00)
				{
					Store (Package (0x0c)
						{
						}, Local0)
					Return (Local0)
				}
				Method (_RMV, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (Zero)
				}
				OperationRegion (MINP, PCI_Config, 0x00, 0x68)
				Field (MINP, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
					VNUM,   32, 
							Offset (0x09), 
					PINF,   8, 
					SBCC,   8, 
					BSCC,   8, 
							Offset (0x2C), 
					SNUM,   32, 
							Offset (0x34)
				}
				Method (MPDP, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					If (LEqual (SNUM, 0xFFFFFFFF))
					{
						Return (0x00)
					}
					If (LNotEqual (BSCC, 0x02))
					{
						Return (0x00)
					}
					Return (One)
				}
				Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
				{
					Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x03))
				}
			}

After booting with -v said

Artheros 8390 not loaded failed.

Stuck in blue screen after some Volumes loaded in verbose mode.

DSDT_Patched_DTGP_RTC_SHUTDOWN_ARTP.zip