• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

jafd

jafd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
There are some problems I'm having with my Acer Aspire One A150 and Snow Leopard. The BIOS version I'm using is 3309. The DSDT was pulled, I believe, from some install guide on here, and now I wonder if it is broken.

<rant>There are many “advices” on this forum how to “fix” the DSDT, in one way or another, but these involve some black magic voodoo nearly all the time. The same situation I observe on mobile forums where members offer to unlock handsets, but while the mobile guys are doing it for a price, it seems like on the OSX86 scene people either got their DSDT problems fixed by sheer luck while randomly poking around, or that some of them have more profound ACPI knowledge but don't want to share it because of their hubris or whatnot.</rant>

What I basically want is some pointers, apart from the specifications found on http://acpi.info/ which I could use to repair my DSDT, if no one has done it before me which I think is the case. This is because I want to 1) have knowledge of how the damn thing works instead of poking around blind, 2) share my findings with the general public, again, knowing what I'm talking about. This way the knowledge is not only useful, it will also be reusable which is what we all want.

Now to the specifics.

The brightness problem. While Fn+Left and Right Arrows do adjust screen brightness, the display preferences pane has a brightness slider but it doesn't work. I would like it to work, because otherwise I cannot calibrate my display the way it should be (OSX thinks it adjusts the brightness while it doesn't).

Other than that, I believe that brightness could be controlled more smoothly than when using the BIOS inbuild table with 5 rigid steps or so, when the least bright isn't dim enough for me.

The sleep problem. The machine just won't go to sleep. It shuts off the display, but then hangs and I can't say why (because the displays shut off, and should there be kernel panics, I can't see them). The power LED is green instead of blinking orange.

The hibernation problem. Actually the same as sleep. The machine shuts displays off and hangs, the sleepimage is never dumped to disk.

Attached is the DSDT my machine currently runs with, if you have some hints at where I should look, I would appreciate that, and kextstat output, should it be that some KEXT is known to cause any of the abovementioned problems.

And I would like you all to please refrain from “Me too” kind of posts which add nothing to the discussions, nor are welcome the “bump” posts with nothing useful to say. If the thread dies off, it's just that “nobody knows” and that is a valid answer. Then, all I'm left with is the ACPI specification which gives no hints as to what bugs a vendor (Acer & Insyde in this case) might incorporate.

I would like to add that Linux has no problems with both sleep and hibernation, it might be due to the fact that kernel actually knows how to power manage each peripheral and is not reliant on DSDT so much as OSX is.

Attached Files

MikeHunt79

MikeHunt79

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi, good to know someone else if trying to crack these problems also. :) The main thing I want is working sleep for my AAO.

The brightness problem. While Fn+Left and Right Arrows do adjust screen brightness, the display preferences pane has a brightness slider but it doesn't work. I would like it to work, because otherwise I cannot calibrate my display the way it should be (OSX thinks it adjusts the brightness while it doesn't).

I have 2 AAO's, and one does the exact same thing, the screen doesn't go dim enough, very annoying!

I've managed to fix this issue at least, I gave up on DSDT in the end, as I'm useless at trying to understand that. Instead I re-compiled Chameleon with my own brightness fix instead. If you are running BIOS 3309 it should work. I'll see if I can dig out the files, I can confirm they work with the 3310 BIOS which I'm using on my 2 AAO's. It also fixes this issue under Windows and Linux, as long as you use my version of Chameleon to boot. :D My fix basically makes the lower brightness settings actually work.

The sleep problem. The machine just won't go to sleep. It shuts off the display, but then hangs and I can't say why (because the displays shut off, and should there be kernel panics, I can't see them). The power LED is green instead of blinking orange.

I have no idea about sleep or hibernation, but I've been looking at the ProjectOSX forum lately and there is quite a bit of useful DSDT info on there, including a long thread about getting sleep to work on another netbook. I'll see if I can dig out the link for ya, I'd love to get this fixed also, and 2 heads are better than one. :)

Also, it may be worth going for BIOS 3310 to try and fix this, this way we can share DSDT.aml files without problems (hopfully).

Right now I'm trying to reinstall SL on one of my AAO's, so I should have the brightness fix for you ASAP.

floris12345

floris12345

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
i have also an A0A150, and i ran snow leopard a while aggo with the netbook installer.
how ever, i never managed to get the second cardreader working and sleep/closing lid fix.
also the mic. i wasnt able to fix that :S.
what drivers does the DSDT contain ??
what can i expect ??
full working audio for example ??

theirishtide

theirishtide

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 25 posts
I have the following: AO531H-0DGK

Has anyone has any luck getting one of these puppies up and going?

2stroke

2stroke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Heres my one guys its my whole extra folder from my netbook, i backed this up before i put win xp/7 on after i got it with 10.6.2 on it

CPU-Z info

Model: AOA150

BIOS: v0.3309

Let me know how it goes thank 2stroke, i also have the full extension folder with the intel 950gma but i dont think you need that. this has my dsdt and all extra kexts

Attached Files

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
hi folks. Have an Acer Aspire One AOA150 (ZG5) sitting on my lap. Would s.b. please post if QE/CI works, and which resolutions can be chosen?

Thanks,
Bugs

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
bump (see above). And any news regarding Lion?

Tsubako

Tsubako

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 47 posts
I've installed 10.6.3 following this tutorial:

http://www.youtube.c...u/3/Tzm66bQPYcM

Works fine (and fast!) except WiFi (swap with Dell DW 1490 to get it to work), and sleep.
QE/CI works fine, 1024x600. I've tried VGA out, it mirrors something but the resolution is incorrect and I don't know how to fix it yet.

I'm on my way to try to update to 10.6.7... and possibly Lion. If anybody wants to help us..

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
forget Lion - the A150's don't come with a 64 bit Atom CPU. Lion on a 32 bit CPU is crippled, many things don't work. To run Lion on a A150 you'd have to figure out first if you can swap the existing CPU with a 64 bit one.

xHighAlert

xHighAlert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

There are some problems I'm having with my Acer Aspire One A150 and Snow Leopard. The BIOS version I'm using is 3309. The DSDT was pulled, I believe, from some install guide on here, and now I wonder if it is broken.

<rant>There are many “advices” on this forum how to “fix” the DSDT, in one way or another, but these involve some black magic voodoo nearly all the time. The same situation I observe on mobile forums where members offer to unlock handsets, but while the mobile guys are doing it for a price, it seems like on the OSX86 scene people either got their DSDT problems fixed by sheer luck while randomly poking around, or that some of them have more profound ACPI knowledge but don't want to share it because of their hubris or whatnot.</rant>

What I basically want is some pointers, apart from the specifications found on http://acpi.info/ which I could use to repair my DSDT, if no one has done it before me which I think is the case. This is because I want to 1) have knowledge of how the damn thing works instead of poking around blind, 2) share my findings with the general public, again, knowing what I'm talking about. This way the knowledge is not only useful, it will also be reusable which is what we all want.

Now to the specifics.

Other than that, I believe that brightness could be controlled more smoothly than when using the BIOS inbuild table with 5 rigid steps or so, when the least bright isn't dim enough for me.

The hibernation problem. Actually the same as sleep. The machine shuts displays off and hangs, the sleepimage is never dumped to disk.

Attached is the DSDT my machine currently runs with, if you have some hints at where I should look, I would appreciate that, and kextstat output, should it be that some KEXT is known to cause any of the abovementioned problems.

And I would like you all to please refrain from “Me too” kind of posts which add nothing to the discussions, nor are welcome the “bump” posts with nothing useful to say. If the thread dies off, it's just that “nobody knows” and that is a valid answer. Then, all I'm left with is the ACPI specification which gives no hints as to what bugs a vendor (Acer & Insyde in this case) might incorporate.

I would like to add that Linux has no problems with both sleep and hibernation, it might be due to the fact that kernel actually knows how to power manage each peripheral and is not reliant on DSDT so much as OSX is.

The display slider will never work regardless of what you do. The hardware for controlling the brightness level in software is not present.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy