Updating OSX

Ridemywideglide

6 posts in this topic

Second question, since the time issue is fixed, I feel the need to mess with things. ;)

Is there a way to successfully update via the SoftwareUpdate feature? Got 10.6.3, and see there is an update available to 10.6.5...

I'm going to setup time machine and try that out before I hose my system up, but I see others listed as running 6.4 & 6.5 and wonder how they got there...??

If you have a Retail install (with stock /S/L/E folder), then most probably you can update with no worries. However, there is always a chance of bricking the system. Sometimes certain devices stop working after an update or worst, OS X no longer boots.

If you have a Retail install (with stock /S/L/E folder), then most probably you can update with no worries. However, there is always a chance of bricking the system. Sometimes certain devices stop working after an update or worst, OS X no longer boots.

I'm running iAtkos S3, so with my Mac illiteracy, I don't know rather it's retail or not.

I'm running iAtkos S3, so with my Mac illiteracy, I don't know rather it's retail or not.
It is not. It is a so called distro. Retail = OS X installed from Apple supplied DVD and unmodified (us much as possible) system files, then most not original extensions are stored in a separate folder (namely /Extra).

It is not. It is a so called distro. Retail = OS X installed from Apple supplied DVD and unmodified (us much as possible) system files, then most not original extensions are stored in a separate folder (namely /Extra).

Ok.. Well, the time machine seems to be working, and this isn't a critical system, so I think I'll see if I can break it.

Is there somewhere to get the next incremental upgrade, like 6.4, instead of just going through apple and taking 6.5 all at once?

Usually Apple releases two types of updates:

• Combo - the version you can update the system from any previous version to newest one (10.5.x to 10.5.8)
  • Delta - the version you can update the system from one version to one step newer (10.5.7 to 10.5.8)

So if you need update say 10.6.1 system to 10.6.2, download 10.6.2 Delta update. In other case download the newest Combo version.