Snow Leopard on Asus N61Jq Laptop

ID_Tech

71 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

I wonder what exactly do you mean by "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] failed", - for me it became a very useful tool. Maybe the options selected weren't quite right for your machine. By the way, it's easier for people to answer your questions and be useful to you, if you have your hardware spec in your signature :)

Now, on to the Network solution. Download the two files attached to this "reply", install them with KextUtility and Restart. After OS boots-up again, you'll have to setup your network - it's a fairly small learning curve and definitely worth it. Personally, I had set my router to transmit in "b" and "g" only and change security to WPA/WPA-Personal. You'll have to manually input your DNS and Search Domain.

On my laptop, sound was activated by VoodooHDA.

Good Luck! :)

Sorry, I believe I have the same laptop. But I updated my signature to include it's specs. I tried this your method after fresh install. Perhaps I did it wrong. When it boots Airport is not an option now. However ethernet works. Really would prefer wifi on my laptop though. I'm gonna do a new fresh install and try again tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply, I'll report back after trying with 10.6.5 update.

UPDATE -- UPDATE -- UPDATE

1. After playing around with various kexts, I've found-out that EVOEnabler.kext makes our graphics card recognizable as ATI Mobility Radeon 4870. Resolution at 1024x768. Display connector: <nothing>

2. The above and the fact that I'm unable to take a "screen-shot" of my screen with anyting, neither I can play video-files, tells me that my MAC does not recognize th connection type between graphics card and the motherboard. Which in turn points us in th direction of modified DSDT, but now for the connector, as well.

3. I have extracted my ACPI-tables and subsequently DSDT from them, but have yet to decompile it. However, I've found an ASUS N61Jq DSDT on Megaupload (file attached to this post - replace .txt in filename with .bz2 and run in OS X). If someone wants to take a stab at it. Of course, there is not proof that this DSDT is actually the same as we have. I'll keep working on decompiling mine.

Good luck! :)

hi

i asked a person this question :

hi we tested some kext in a forum and found-out that EVOEnabler.kext makes our graphics card recognizable as ATI Mobility Radeon

4870. Resolution at 1024x768. Display connector: <nothing>

can i change this kext to recognize completely my graphic card mine is ATI mobility radeon HD 5730 1024 MB

and he sawed the pic

he answered me :

Sure you can modify EVOEnabler.kext and add your ATI graphic card model. To my knowledge the EVOEnabler kext in web sites like kext.com is a modified EvOenabler.kext for ATI 4870HD. To make changes to EVOenabler you need to find the source code and edit it with Xcode or you can replace the existing Graphic card id number for yours in the info.plist. Now, you're better off by using the original source code becuase sometimes you don't know if it was done correctly. To find the source code o can ask evosx86 team. I don't know if you have tried to add your Graphic card id number to chameleon rc5, but that might help too.

my English isn't good please go to this site. it is originally Spanish but with Google translate

you can find more about this method and about DSDT we can request them to help us

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

This is the first DSDT

corrected items are :

AC

DTGP

EHCI

UHCI

IRQs

PNLF

RTC

SMBUS

SHUTDOWN

FIX ERRORS and WARNINGS

you should install chameleon 2 rc5 r687

and enable p-state and c-state

and you're E/E folder must be same as this one

don't forget to repair kexts permission

:D thanks maldon :D

dsdt.zip

Extensions.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

This is the first DSDT

corrected items are :

AC

DTGP

EHCI

UHCI

IRQs

PNLF

RTC

SMBUS

SHUTDOWN

FIX ERRORS and WARNINGS

you should install chameleon 2 rc5 r687

and enable p-state and c-state

and you're E/E folder must be same as this one

don't forget to repair kexts permission

:D thanks maldon :hammer:

ok but what will this enable?

I would like to install osx on my lenovo ideapad y560 with ati express 5730 but with a better than 1024x768 video and hopefully with QC/CE...

Please advise,

ok but what will this enable?

I would like to install osx on my lenovo ideapad y560 with ati express 5730 but with a better than 1024x768 video and hopefully with QC/CE...

Please advise,

no it doesn't active graphic there is no way to use this model yet we should wait i have 1024*768

this dsdt fixes some problem you can make your dsdt for y560

• 3 weeks later...

hi ,

Thank you very much for your work on this tutorial , it were very helpfull to get working my laptop on osx 86.

My n61jq works perfectly , in addition i make usb3.0 working with NEC .kext on the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] chameleon install . Hope we will find a fix for graphics soon !

thanks

hi ,

Thank you very much for your work on this tutorial , it were very helpfull to get working my laptop on osx 86.

My n61jq works perfectly , in addition i make usb3.0 working with NEC .kext on the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] chameleon install . Hope we will find a fix for graphics soon !

thanks

hi

what is your version and are you using the dsdt and kexts that i attached and do you have any

problem or not

thanks

hi

what is your version and are you using the dsdt and kexts that i attached and do you have any

problem or not

thanks

hi ,

I updated to 10.6.5 and after deleting ati kext in signle user mode it works fine . I used your last DSDT and the extensions pack , after i added wlan kext and your last apple hda and IOaudiofamily. Their is two days that its works without bug . i will keep a watch and tell you if i have mistakes .

thanks

hi ,

I updated to 10.6.5 and after deleting ati kext in signle user mode it works fine . I used your last DSDT and the extensions pack , after i added wlan kext and your last apple hda and IOaudiofamily. Their is two days that its works without bug . i will keep a watch and tell you if i have mistakes .

thanks

Hi

yes you should remove ati kexts you can update to 10.6.6 but after update you should install those

two sound kexts just do it

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i just updated to 10.6.6 and it works after re-deleting the ati kexts and overwrite the sound kexts

i will explain how to delete the ati kexts ( it were hard for me at the begining )

To delete the ATI kexts :

- boot in single user mode ( -s )

mount -rw -a
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/"yourExtensions.mkext"

exemple :
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext

i still don't know who is the guilty but after deleting those kexts it works for me :

ATIRadeonX1000.kext
ATIRadeonX2000.kext
ATIRadeonX3000.kext
ATI1300Controller.kext
ATI1600Controller.kext
ATI1900Controller.kext
ATI2400Controller.kext
ATI2600Controller.kext
ATI3800Controller.kext
ATI4600Controller.kext
ATI4800Controller.kext
ATI5000Controller.kext

• 2 weeks later...

HELLO everybody !!

I 'm joining this discussion because I have asus N71jq, and the HARDWARE are mostly the same...

I have tried many times the tonymacos method with retail , [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and update 10.6.6, but always failing.

I understand that we get the DSDT , WHAT A FANTASTI NEWS !! But how I can use it withou mistake??

what procedure I must use for install mac os X ?

I'm trying ths procedure : EMPIRE EFI - RETAIL - Vodoohda - and network Kext previously posted.

PLEASE someone Help me with the correct / best procedure INStallation.

THANK YOU for the great work you did in the last months :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi this is installation method for n61jq:

1: put empire efi disk at selection page eject the disk insert retail DVD press F5

when changed press return

2: creating partition and install

3(important ): insert efi disk and boot up mac Os with the efi disk

4: install combo update 10.6.6

5: delete ATI5000Controller.kext & ATIFramebuffer.kext & ATISupport.kext in S/L/E

6: install latest chameleon (full install)

7: use my extension folder and copy those kext to your E/E

8: use my audio kexts install with kext helper or other

9: run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] check System Utilities check System Definitions as MacBook Pro

10 : now restart

For "my extension" you mean the file you attached on a previous post??

Will the ati 5730 work ??full resolution but without acceleration?? And what abou using dsdt ??

I have to delete the ati kexts before restart ??

Im sorry for the many question...but I have waited a lot for an answer...

For "my extension" you mean the file you attached on a previous post??

Will the ati 5730 work ??full resolution but without acceleration?? And what abou using dsdt ??

I have to delete the ati kexts before restart ??

Im sorry for the many question...but I have waited a lot for an answer...

no we don't have the graphic working .stuck in 1024*768 no acceleration

just have this problem

this dsdt is just for n61jq that correct some problem and sound for alc269

I make the procedure step by step that you have described yesterday...

Finally I can run on 10.6.6, I have never done it before...But there are some issues:

1 Audio don't work(for the first time on sound settings I can see analogic master).Maybe beacuse I have installed

VodooHda yet, i ' ve tried removing it but without succes....

2 My keyboard aren't recognised, I can only use the touchpad's mouse.

3 When I try to boot from HDD , i Can't boot because It Displays a strange image and it stops on it. I can boot from

Legacy Empire Efi.

MAYBE this problems, could be caused by Wrong installation? i have reinstalled SL, without formatting Harddrive , so when i reinstalled on the same partition, I find on the desktop the same files before reinstalli the retail DVD,

COULD IT CAUSED THESE ISSUES???

Many thanks Man for Help :):D:) :)

I make the procedure step by step that you have described yesterday...

Finally I can run on 10.6.6, I have never done it before...But there are some issues:

1 Audio don't work(for the first time on sound settings I can see analogic master).Maybe beacuse I have installed

VodooHda yet, i ' ve tried removing it but without succes....

2 My keyboard aren't recognised, I can only use the touchpad's mouse.

3 When I try to boot from HDD , i Can't boot because It Displays a strange image and it stops on it. I can boot from

Legacy Empire Efi.

MAYBE this problems, could be caused by Wrong installation? i have reinstalled SL, without formatting Harddrive , so when i reinstalled on the same partition, I find on the desktop the same files before reinstalli the retail DVD,

COULD IT CAUSED THESE ISSUES???

Many thanks Man for Help :star_smile::star_smile::):D

hi thanks

1:for audio working you can get different voodohda kext in kexts.com and install theme by kext

helper and after that run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and check System Utilities and restart .

2.so download the extension that i uploaded and install AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext as i discribed above(in number one).

3:yes you dont have your dsdt.aml so you should install nullcpupowermanagment.kext

download latest [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and in Kexts & Enablers section check nullcpupowermanagment &

fakesmc these are must important

finally install latest chameleon if you don't installed it yet and then restart it should boot from hdd

and sorry for my bad english

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!

I have been following your guide. so far I got OS X 10.6.3 installed from genuine DVD.

reboot, it boots up only with EFI help.

Im newb if you could possible chew for me how would I make HDD bootable. (have [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] downloaded)

second, for Video install:

Cant find any info reg that.

so post edited for lion kexts

for your booting do this :

1-just boot another time with EFI help

2- install 10.6.6 combo update don't restart (most important)

3-go System/Library/Extension & delete ATI5000, ATISupport and ATIFramebuffer

4- open [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.3

5- check this sections in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

A- System Utilities

B- ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext & EvOreboot & FakeSMC & NullCPUPowerManagement in

Miscellaneous section

C- Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental in Bootloaders section

D- 64-bit GraphicsEnabler=No in Customization> Boot Options

E - MacBook Pro in Customization > System Definitions

After it finished now restart you should be able to boot from HD

post the result here and a tell you how to install graphic card

Hello, some time ago, try to install on another PC without success, I want to try again on the N61, but I am newbie with mac.

Can you help me and tell me how I have to reformat the hard disk to make a dual boot between Windows 7 and Snow Leopard? What OS I have to install first? How?

Thanks

PD: sorry for my English I speak Spanish and I'm using google translate...

Hello, some time ago, try to install on another PC without success, I want to try again on the N61, but I am newbie with mac.

Can you help me and tell me how I have to reformat the hard disk to make a dual boot between Windows 7 and Snow Leopard? What OS I have to install first? How?

Thanks

PD: sorry for my English I speak Spanish and I'm using google translate...

HI

do same as this one

should go 1. Snow Leopard 2. Windows 3. Storage 4. Linux

I follow your guide, I have the same laptop, but when I restart have problem and don´t boot "only the apple logo" 1,2,3...minutes and forever.

I think , Iam doing wrong something.

1- install 10.6.6

2-install the keys of lion aty

3-install from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] this Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.3 (kabyl code added)

is correct?

4-when I install Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.3 (kabyl code added)

and go to the step 5.Use this command in com.apple.boot.plist in Extra folder, I go to the harddisk and there isn´t a folder extra. where is?

So, I think that I have to install the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.3 (kabyl code added) this is correct?

the next step....

I can´t follow to the next step, because I haven´t com.apple.boot.plist in Extra folder or.....

I have to create the extra folder and the com.apple.boot.plist with textedit and save in extra folder with this code

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
 <string>Hoolock</string>
<key>UseAtiROM</key>
 <string>Yes</string>

Another question...

You say in your guide

3.Dump your Card bios & Rename the dumped bios 1002_68C0.rom and put it in your Extra folder

(Work without bios ) what do you want to say? I don´t need to do this step, is correct?, because I didn´t it

Ok, a lot of people have the same laptop asus n61jq, ...Why don´t attach the modificed DisplayProductID-717, I fallow the guide , but if is wrong my DisplayProductID-717 modificed

thank for your work, I think is a great work, and when all the user of this laptop find to run osx, sure you will recive a lot of thanks and kiss

so post edited for lion kexts

for your booting do this :

1-just boot another time with EFI help

2- install 10.6.6 combo update don't restart (most important)

3-go System/Library/Extension & delete ATI5000, ATISupport and ATIFramebuffer

4- open [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.3

5- check this sections in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

A- System Utilities

B- ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext & EvOreboot & FakeSMC & NullCPUPowerManagement in

Miscellaneous section

C- Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental in Bootloaders section

D- 64-bit GraphicsEnabler=No in Customization> Boot Options

E - MacBook Pro in Customization > System Definitions

After it finished now restart you should be able to boot from HD

post the result here and a tell you how to install graphic card

I had to reinstall. So im back with fresh OS X 10.6.3 It boots up from HDD fine. Sound works. Now just video.

I havent updated to 10.6.6 yet

I have been flowing your guide on video install.

I skipped step 4. for some reason. After reboot ive got 2/3 of the screen white and left 1/3 is black. External monitor shuts off.

Can not boot from HDD now, but CD works.

I guess I would have to redo everything again and do step 4.

question. We have so many .kexts in Extra folder that are not in use(ex. ATI x4800, Geforce, etc) Would that be better right after fresh 10.6.3 boot get rid of the useless stuff, I would say ALL, and load just kext`s that we need for our N61J?