Snow Leopard on Asus N61Jq Laptop

ID_Tech

71 posts in this topic

Hello all,

This is mostly for my own reference, but also with hopes that someone will find it useful.

I spent much time (as I'm sure many others did) digging through WWW in search of answers :P . As well as, trying different kexts and learning what to do after the infamous Kernel Panic. I should also mention, that I was installing SL on an external USB Hard-Drive, just so I won't loose my laptop altogether.

What I used (in that order):

1. BIOS update from ASUS (ver.212)

2. EmpireEFI 1063

3. MAC OS X Combo Update 10.6.04

4. myHack for booting directly from USB

5. KextUtility (to do that whole "trial & error" thing)

6. VodooHDA (for sound)

7. AtherosL1c Ethernet (for LAN). By the way, it kills the sound kext somehow, so I had to re-install it after this.

8. IO80211Family.kext (for Wi-Fi) - yes, it works. Just have to set router security setting to WPA Personal and change it's transmission setting to g/b (no "n").

9. PlistEditPro.

After step No.3, I copied Extra folder from EmpireEFI CD to the root of my SnowLeo directory and ran myHack from there.

EDIT: What also works, is running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (thanks Tony!) and selecting what you need. But still found it necessary to copy Preboot.dmg into Extra folder to make SL boot directly from external HDD. Official SnowLeopardGraphicsUpdate took some time to install. Ran install, kernel panicked, restarted with "-s" and deleted all atix3000 related kexts from System/Library/Extensions. Forced restart and ran install again - complete! Now I know Terminal commands a little better, thanks to this exercise...

Everything is working, except for the graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730). I've tried many different kexts (including ones from netkas), but either I'm doing something wrong or have yet to find working one. It is ironic, how Apple is selling ATI Radeon cards, but I can't seem to get mine working.....

That's all, for now. I'll try to keep this post up-to-date and of course, any questions are quite welcome.

Cheers all! ;)

EDIT: Graphics card is still a "no go"... Tried different frame-bufers, the card isn't even showing in Profiler, only that it's ATI. I'm not giving up, though. The search continues. MAC OS is a Unix-based system, maybe there is a way to somehow use Linux driver from ATI? Or maybe it's possible to write a custom DSDT? There has to be a way! Especially now that Apple started using ATI graphics card on MacPro....

UPDATE OK, didn't have much time this week. However, here are a few things, so-called "food-for-thought".

1) Someone wrote somewhere, that Mobility Radeon HD 5730 is the same as Radeon HD 5670. Someone even posted a screen-capture of iMac's Profiler showing the same device id. (sorry, no reference links, just take my word on it). Which is very strange, because when I researched ATI's boot-rom for 5670, it had device id of 68D8 and not 68c0 as it is in 5730's case. Furthermore, 5670 is DDR5 and 5730 is DDR3. I have to admit, it's possible that Apple had it's graphics card specifically manufactured. The screen-capture looked very genuine and 5670 is used on iMacs... go figure.

2) Reason I looked into getting ATI's boot-rom is to try Trauma's method (loading ATI's rom into Extra folder and adding a couple of lines in com.apple.boot.plist). This, proved to be difficult. I have yet to find a way to extract my graphics BIOS rom. It is embeded into system's BIOS and so far I haven't been able to extract it (which I've heard is very painstaking). By the way, GPU-Z is pretty good at determining all the info on the card itself and thanks to RiverTuner it's possible to obtain Northbridge and Location info (Vendor ID: 8086(Intel); Device ID: d132) (Location: bus1, device0, function0). Not sure how it's going to help, but the info is there. By the way, BIOS Ver. for 5730 is 012.020.000.023.034814, but I think it's specifically tied-in with my system's BIOS (ver.212 from ASUS). I might try Trauma's method using 5670 rom, but not today...

3) Some time ago, after reading numerous posts, I started thinking in lines of getting custom DSDT. I'm very new to the DSDT arena, so for now, I'm just doing some research.

4) I never thought this would take so much time, but hey - I'm not giving-up just yet! B)

5) Oh, and GPU is Madison...

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

This is mostly for my own reference, but also with hopes that someone will find it useful.

I spent much time (as I'm sure many others did) digging through WWW in search of answers :( . As well as, trying different kexts and learning what to do after the infamous Kernel Panic. I should also mention, that I was installing SL on an external USB Hard-Drive, just so I won't loose my laptop altogether.

What I used (in that order):

1. BIOS update from ASUS (ver.212)

2. EmpireEFI 1063

3. MAC OS X Combo Update 10.6.04

4. myHack for booting directly from USB

5. KextUtility (to do that whole "trial & error" thing)

6. VodooHDA (for sound)

7. AtherosL1c Ethernet (for LAN). By the way, it kills the sound kext somehow, so I had to re-install it after this.

8. IO80211Family.kext (for Wi-Fi) - yes, it works. Just have to set router security setting to WPA Personal and change it's transmission setting to g/b (no "n").

9. PlistEditPro.

After step No.3, I copied Extra folder from EmpireEFI CD to the root of my SnowLeo directory and ran myHack from there.

EDIT: What also works, is running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (thanks Tony!) and selecting what you need. But still found it necessary to copy Preboot.dmg into Extra folder to make SL boot directly from external HDD. Official SnowLeopardGraphicsUpdate took some time to install. Ran install, kernel panicked, restarted with "-s" and deleted all atix3000 related kexts from System/Library/Extensions. Forced restart and ran install again - complete! Now I know Terminal commands a little better, thanks to this exercise...

Everything is working, except for the graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730). I've tried many different kexts (including ones from netkas), but either I'm doing something wrong or have yet to find working one. It is ironic, how Apple is selling ATI Radeon cards, but I can't seem to get mine working.....

That's all, for now. I'll try to keep this post up-to-date and of course, any questions are quite welcome.

Cheers all! :)

EDIT: Graphics card is still a "no go"... Tried different frame-bufers, the card isn't even showing in Profiler, only that it's ATI. I'm not giving up, though. The search continues. MAC OS is a Unix-based system, maybe there is a way to somehow use Linux driver from ATI? Or maybe it's possible to write a custom DSDT? There has to be a way! Especially now that Apple started using ATI graphics card on MacPro....

Hi Barra

Good to see theres someone else trying to get SL working on this laptop .

I have also installed SL using Tony Mac's method ,

I now how almost a fully functional n61jq notebook with SL 10.6.4 - i am yet to work out the graphics acceleration and a small problem with the webcam picture being upside down.

I am sure with a little persistence we can also get the ATI Graphics working well also . Looking forward to hearing if you have made any progress with the graphics yourself.

cheers

Tony

hi guys,

I'm new on forum and I've read you've basically the same laptop I've just bought. I've a N71JQ (same than N61 but with a little bit more inches on screen).

I've Windows 7 on the first Hdd and I'd like to have a dual boot without uninstall windows. Do you think it might be possible (you've already done it)?

What would be the best method?

sorry if my question seems to you stupid, but I'm new and even if I've searched and read many posts, I'm right now so confused.

thanks guys

hi guys,

I'm new on forum and I've read you've basically the same laptop I've just bought. I've a N71JQ (same than N61 but with a little bit more inches on screen).

I've Windows 7 on the first Hdd and I'd like to have a dual boot without uninstall windows. Do you think it might be possible (you've already done it)?

What would be the best method?

sorry if my question seems to you stupid, but I'm new and even if I've searched and read many posts, I'm right now so confused.

thanks guys

Hi maccabeone!

Sorry for the delayed reply (been busy week). You've probably made it on your own by now. Anyways...

Dual-boot is possible and is widely practiced (from what I know). Personally, I dual-boot SL from my external USB HDD. To do that, I had to change my Boot Sequence in BIOS, to point to USB HDD. Then Chameleon loads-up and I have to hit "Tab" key to get to OS selection menu. There I select my MAC OS and here we go. From my past experience, dual-boot works best and easier to setup, if you have your systems on separate drives, not partitions. There are a couple of very good guides on dual-booting around here (sorry, can't remember which ones exactly), and they'll take you step-by-step. Unfortunately, you might end up re-installing your Windows (which is another reason I used external HDD). Or might not... The key here, is Darwin bootloader (e.i. Chameleon), also look for Easy BCD(BSD).

Good Luck! :wallbash:

Hello to all

i installed it but on MBR ;) and now i want to install it to GPT :D and at first should backup my data the

problem is graphic card i think the best method is DSDT I'm researching about it too

my another problem is my English its not good and that causes my jobs be much harder :wacko: i think

we can make a victory rolleyes.gif

Guys, I'm afraid I "hit the wall" with graphics on this laptop. ;)

The graphics card isn't so much a problem as is our display connector. You see, Apple uses Mini DisplayPort on all their machines, starting on October 2008 (when they started using ATI graphics cards): DisplayPort on Wiki

Our Mobility Radeon HD 5730 is supposed to have integrated DisplayPort output: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5730 GPU Specifications

I can almost hear you think "so what's the problem?" The problem is, that when I looked through the Disassembly Procedure by ASUS, it specifically says: "Disconnect LVDS cable..." and as far as I've learned, Apple does not support LVDS connections. And from all the photographs in this Disassembly Guide (and there are plenty of those) I could not see a DisplayPort "out" connector anywhere! :huh:

Now I have two questions, and I'm just throwing it out there, for you to ponder upon -

1) Is there a software/programming solution to this?

2) Is it possible to replace LVDS connector with Mini DisplayPort? (naturally, this will void ASUS Warranty).

I think, I'll keep reading on the DSDT topic, but if everything stops with the display connector type - we don't have too many options...

Any thoughts?

Guys, I'm afraid I "hit the wall" with graphics on this laptop. :)

The graphics card isn't so much a problem as is our display connector. You see, Apple uses Mini DisplayPort on all their machines, starting on October 2008 (when they started using ATI graphics cards): DisplayPort on Wiki

Our Mobility Radeon HD 5730 is supposed to have integrated DisplayPort output: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5730 GPU Specifications

I can almost hear you think "so what's the problem?" The problem is, that when I looked through the Disassembly Procedure by ASUS, it specifically says: "Disconnect LVDS cable..." and as far as I've learned, Apple does not support LVDS connections. And from all the photographs in this Disassembly Guide (and there are plenty of those) I could not see a DisplayPort "out" connector anywhere! :)

Now I have two questions, and I'm just throwing it out there, for you to ponder upon -

1) Is there a software/programming solution to this?

2) Is it possible to replace LVDS connector with Mini DisplayPort? (naturally, this will void ASUS Warranty).

I think, I'll keep reading on the DSDT topic, but if everything stops with the display connector type - we don't have too many options...

Any thoughts?

hi our hd5730 has Integrated dual-link DVI output with HDCP & Integrated DisplayPort output &

Integrated HDMI 1.3 output with Deep Color, xvYCC wide gamut support, and high bit-rate audio

Integrated VGA output that we can see HDMI & vga does it mean that the lcd connected with

those 2 another ports but where is LVDS?

hi our hd5730 has Integrated dual-link DVI output with HDCP & Integrated DisplayPort output &

Integrated HDMI 1.3 output with Deep Color, xvYCC wide gamut support, and high bit-rate audio

Integrated VGA output that we can see HDMI & vga does it mean that the lcd connected with

those 2 another ports but where is LVDS?

Hi,

Yeah, that's what the AMD's web-site says, but the Disassembly Procedure.pdf I've downloaded from ASUS user lounge says "disconnect LVDS connector". And on the pictures in that document I couldn't see any DisplayPort outputs. You can google this document or wait till tomorrow, I'll upload it here. I suspect ASUS had 5730 card custom-made for it's laptops, after all LVDS is an older type of connection, compared to Mini DisplayPort that Apple uses....

OK, here is the Disassembly Manual. By the way, when I opened the back (bottom) cover on my laptop - inside looks exactly like the pictures in this document. See attached...

thanks i watched a video from youtube sl was installed on asus g51 and every things was good he used DSDT for graphic card can you see Disassembly of g51 i think we should use dsdt

thanks i watched a video from youtube sl was installed on asus g51 and every things was good he used DSDT for graphic card can you see Disassembly of g51 i think we should use dsdt

Thanks! That's a great news! At least now I know which direction to concentrate my efforts in.

Also, someone has been successful in installing SL on N61Ja, see here - Successful Installs

I'm on it! :(

Hi Guys ,

It seems as though he has used the iAtkos Installer . with the Graphics Enabler , Barra, have you tried this yet for Graphics ?

Cant wait to get get my laptop back to get back into this !!!

Unfortunately my Laptop is with Asus for Repairs (nothing Serious ) just had a ear piercing high pitched sound coming from the Laptop when it was beside me . So I called Asus and they claimed it wasnt normal and they knew of the issue. So now I wait ..

Ufff.... I tried G51 DSDT and now can't even boot in.... I might've done incorrectly though (never try something on a tired head).

Which gave me a chance to try iAtkos :)

Strangely enough iAtkos S3 ver.2 (the newest one), doesn't go past the Chameleon's boot screen. I've tried different flags at boot and it seems to go through (line-by-line) but then just reboots :P

Yes, I did check the MD5 checksum and it was correct. Now, I'm repairing my original install, so I can try G51 DSDT again, via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] this time. And I'm making another copy of iAtkos S3 v2 (maybe the first one is faulty or something)... and downloading iAtkos v7 (may as well try it,- right?).

Will report back with any failures and maybe we'll have a success :)

Oh, by the way - that high-pitched noise, when the laptop is near you, is most likely a feedback from your built-in microphone - I had that happened to me a couple of times, just reduced its sensitivity and everything was fine after that. It only happened inside the SnowLeo though.....

Cheers all!

Ufff.... I tried G51 DSDT and now can't even boot in.... I might've done incorrectly though (never try something on a tired head).

Which gave me a chance to try iAtkos :P

Strangely enough iAtkos S3 ver.2 (the newest one), doesn't go past the Chameleon's boot screen. I've tried different flags at boot and it seems to go through (line-by-line) but then just reboots :)

Yes, I did check the MD5 checksum and it was correct. Now, I'm repairing my original install, so I can try G51 DSDT again, via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] this time. And I'm making another copy of iAtkos S3 v2 (maybe the first one is faulty or something)... and downloading iAtkos v7 (may as well try it,- right?).

Will report back with any failures and maybe we'll have a success ;)

Oh, by the way - that high-pitched noise, when the laptop is near you, is most likely a feedback from your built-in microphone - I had that happened to me a couple of times, just reduced its sensitivity and everything was fine after that. It only happened inside the SnowLeo though.....

Cheers all!

hi why you used g51 dsdt :D we should make our dsdt :) g51 use nvidia graphic card i said a person

used dsdt for g51 and i said you to check that does g151 use LVDS cable or not ?

to make sure with dsdt method you can install iatkos s3 with empire efi same as retail dvd

hi why you used g51 dsdt :blink: we should make our dsdt :) g51 use nvidia graphic card i said a person

used dsdt for g51 and i said you to check that does g151 use LVDS cable or not ?

to make sure with dsdt method you can install iatkos s3 with empire efi same as retail dvd

... Because I had a long week and I was exhausted - people tend to make silly decisions in that condition. :(

Anywhoooo.... my laptop doesn't like either iAtkos (S3 v2 or v7). I spent some time on uphuck forum and here and.... there seem to be a lot of that going around. Not sure how the guy in that link I've posted earlier (success story) did it... Maybe we should ask him ;)

I'm re-installing SL, again... Meanwhile I'll look for that Disassembly Manual for G51.

OK, the source web-site for the Disassembly Procedure doc that I've found last time seems to be down. However, I've been digging on the web and found some info ;)

Here, it says G51 has 40-pin LCD screen connection - Asus G51 screen

And here, it says N61Jq has 40-pin connector also - Asus N61Jq screen

As follows from this web-page What is DisplayPort, DisplayPort has 20-pin connector.

Which leads me to believe that both G51 and N61Jq have LVDS connectors.

P.S. something's totally screwy with either my BIOS or external HDD that I was installing onto - can't get SL on it anyway I try. I'll have to spend some time figuring it out now.... :)

OK, the source web-site for the Disassembly Procedure doc that I've found last time seems to be down. However, I've been digging on the web and found some info :)

Here, it says G51 has 40-pin LCD screen connection - Asus G51 screen

And here, it says N61Jq has 40-pin connector also - Asus N61Jq screen

As follows from this web-page What is DisplayPort, DisplayPort has 20-pin connector.

Which leads me to believe that both G51 and N61Jq have LVDS connectors.

P.S. something's totally screwy with either my BIOS or external HDD that I was installing onto - can't get SL on it anyway I try. I'll have to spend some time figuring it out now.... :(

i installed IATKOS s3 by empire EFI CD same as retail DVD you can install it too but i don't think we can get full

graphic acceleration without DSDT or new driver and there isn't any new driver we should concentrate on DSDT for n61 now i deleted SL and want to

reinstall it

i installed IATKOS s3 by empire EFI CD same as retail DVD you can install it too but i don't think we can get full

graphic acceleration without DSDT or new driver and there isn't any new driver we should concentrate on DSDT for n61 now i deleted SL and want to

reinstall it

Ditto to that,- what a set up! :-(((

We may as well go back to vanilla install and I agree, lets concentrate on DSDT. Sorry to have distracted everyone, myself included...

There is also something called EFI ROM, I think it's tied-in with DSDT somehow, but I might be wrong.

You know, the only good thing about iAtkos that I've noticed, is how clean it restarted and shut-down, but I'm sure we can find kexts for that ;-)

P.S. The graphics card showed up in Profiler as ATI Radeon HD 4890, after installing with iAtkos S3v2, but still same 1024x768 resolution only.

Hi guys,

Firstly - I've changed my user name - this one suits me better :D

Secondly, I've been trying to extract my ACPI Tables using Ubuntu, as described in this post - [GUIDE} and keep getting an error... I suspect there might be something "off" with the code provided, because I go through all the steps up to entering the very long and confusing command into Terminal which results in error :-(

I've found somewhere on here a reference to user Zhell, - it looks like he's "in the know". But before we ask him for help, I was wondering if any of you could try the method in the link above (using Ubuntu).

I have extracted DSDT from inside my SnowLeo install, but don't really trust it, I think Ubuntu method is more reliable.

Here is something else I've found - will definitely look into this - follow this link

And this - Visit this link

Overall, I think we're on the right path! :D

Cheers all!

Thanks! That's a great news! At least now I know which direction to concentrate my efforts in.

Also, someone has been successful in installing SL on N61Ja, see here - Successful Installs

I'm on it! ;)

Hi Guys ,

I actually contacted the guy in the "successful installs " who claimed he had the N61jq from his signature .

see below .

Re: Successful Installs

icon_post_target.gifby Design4Life on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:38 pm

stahlgewitter wrote:Design4Life, cainhunpi, precies

what is your customize choices?

AnVAL Loader

Quiet Boot

Legacy Logo

Graphics Enabler

-pci1

NTFS-3G ( which I deleted after installation and started using Paragon NTFS for MAc OS X 8 ) Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. N61Ja

VGA: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1GB

RAM: 2x2GB DDR3-1066 MHz

Processor: Intel® Core i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GHz (Turbo Mode Up To 2,67Ghz)

osx what? Posts: 60Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:18 pmLocation: LithuaniaThis was his reply to my PM ...

"I didint it was info about my old pc, which i dont have anymore, i hadnt installed snow leo on that Asus coz its impossible"

Unfortunately he was successful installing it on his old PC not the N61 .. so unfortunately he was not able to help .

I think we are still on the right track and the DSDT is our only hope at this stage.

Once I have my machine back I will be sure to concentrate more on the DSDT - there are plenty of Guru's on Insanely mac I am sure that can assist .

Cheers guys ..

Hi Guys ,

I actually contacted the guy in the "successful installs " who claimed he had the N61jq from his signature .

see below .

Unfortunately he was successful installing it on his old PC not the N61 .. so unfortunately he was not able to help .

I think we are still on the right track and the DSDT is our only hope at this stage.

Once I have my machine back I will be sure to concentrate more on the DSDT - there are plenty of Guru's on Insanely mac I am sure that can assist .

Cheers guys ..

Hi bazzazz,

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion, by tracking all of Design4Life posts, in which he was asking how to install SL on N61Jq. We were mislead by his signature... Not a complete waste of time though - there a a couple of good tools on iAtkos disk, like Hardware - provide description of every piece of hardware on the laptop, might be useful, since MAC doesn't recognize most of it.

Anyway - back to work ;)

UPDATE -- UPDATE -- UPDATE

1. After playing around with various kexts, I've found-out that EVOEnabler.kext makes our graphics card recognizable as ATI Mobility Radeon 4870. Resolution at 1024x768. Display connector: <nothing> (image is at the end of this post)

2. The above and the fact that I'm unable to take a "screen-shot" of my screen with anyting, neither I can play video-files, tells me that my MAC does not recognize th connection type between graphics card and the motherboard. Which in turn points us in th direction of modified DSDT, but now for the connector, as well.

3. I have extracted my ACPI-tables and subsequently DSDT from them, but have yet to decompile it. However, I've found an ASUS N61Jq DSDT on Megaupload (file attached to this post - replace .txt in filename with .bz2 and run in OS X). If someone wants to take a stab at it. Of course, there is not proof that this DSDT is actually the same as we have. I'll keep working on decompiling mine.

Good luck! :P

dsdt_asus_n61jq.tar.txt

post-497771-1289403044_thumb.jpg

hey guys, been following this. How can i enable the wireless card in snow leopard after empire efi and retail install i installed myhack installer, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] failed. however, i still have no wifi (or sound). good to see people working towards this!

any help is appreciated.

hey guys, been following this. How can i enable the wireless card in snow leopard after empire efi and retail install i installed myhack installer, [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] failed. however, i still have no wifi (or sound). good to see people working towards this!

any help is appreciated.

Hi there,

I wonder what exactly do you mean by "[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] failed", - for me it became a very useful tool. Maybe the options selected weren't quite right for your machine. By the way, it's easier for people to answer your questions and be useful to you, if you have your hardware spec in your signature ;)

Now, on to the Network solution. Download the two files attached to this "reply", install them with KextUtility and Restart. After OS boots-up again, you'll have to setup your network - it's a fairly small learning curve and definitely worth it. Personally, I had set my router to transmit in "b" and "g" only and change security to WPA/WPA-Personal. You'll have to manually input your DNS and Search Domain.

On my laptop, sound was activated by VoodooHDA.

Good Luck! :smoke:

AttansicL1Ethernet.zip

IO80211Family.kext.zip