Help with Shutdown/Restart error, OSX start up errors, and program not working correctly.

jchiera

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I have installed Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.4 in VMware Workstation 7.1.2 build-301548. Everything works fine; it boots into the OS fine, my sound is working, my monitor resolution is at the max it can go, I have network connectivity, I can update my software, etc. But when ever I go to shutdown or have to restart from installing something it doesn't restart, I get an error from VMware and I also get a screen that tells me to hold down my power buttons to shutdown my "Mac". Also, some other problems I am having in the OS is that I cannot view images in Preview, I don't have an Optical Drive shown (Is this normal because in Ubuntu 10.04 I have one listed in VMware) But I also don't have it set to connected, but that's because I need to have the darwin.iso mounted inorder to boot I guess, so I think that's why. But other than those few problems everything seems to be running just fine.

Things that I have tried:

I have added these lines in the file "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmx"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"
paevm="true"
smc.present = "FALSE"

But that seemed to do nothing when people said it would help with the shutdown. Well that's basically all that I have tried so far. Haha

Here are my system specs if needed;

Motherboard:

EVGA x58 3x SLI (Click Here)

Processor:

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz (Click Here)

RAM:

6GB (3x 2GB stick) OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Intel i7 Triple Channel (Click here)

Graphics:

2x EVGA GTX260 Superclocked Edition. (Click Here)

HDD:

2x 300GB 10,000 RPM WD VelociRaptor (Click Here)

Power Supply:

850Watt ThermalTake Black Widow (Click Here)

I don't think that there is any question whether or not my System has the ability to run Snow Leopard OSX 10.4.6.

Also here is the guide that I have used for the installation of Snow Leopard OSX on VMware Workstation 7. Click Here. Then I have found the guide in this site and I am using the updated darwin.iso to use to boot into OSX from the forum.

P.S. Below I have attached the 4 images of the errors I am getting with VMware and the OS itself. If any other information is needed please let me know.

-Thank You

post-676068-1286509030_thumb.jpg

post-676068-1286509054_thumb.jpg

post-676068-1286509061_thumb.jpg

post-676068-1286509067_thumb.jpg

Your specs are of no consequence when you're running OS X in VMware, because

"VMware software provides a completely virtualized set of hardware to the guest operating system. VMware software virtualizes the hardware for a video adapter, a network adapter, and hard disk adapters. The host provides pass-through drivers for guest USB, serial, and parallel devices."

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware

This means that whatever fixes other people are using to get OS X running in VMWare, you can use the same fixes.

Your specs are of no consequence when you're running OS X in VMware, because

"VMware software provides a completely virtualized set of hardware to the guest operating system. VMware software virtualizes the hardware for a video adapter, a network adapter, and hard disk adapters. The host provides pass-through drivers for guest USB, serial, and parallel devices."

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware

This means that whatever fixes other people are using to get OS X running in VMWare, you can use the same fixes.

Oh, okay. I didn't know that. So when it asks you how many number of cores you want to use it doesn't use your Processor cores? Also, if I can use whatever fixes other people are using then why does Shut Down/Restart still give me that error to hold down the power button?

Oh, okay. I didn't know that. So when it asks you how many number of cores you want to use it doesn't use your Processor cores?

No, as far as the CPU goes, VMware Workstation uses your CPU directly through Intel VT-x ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualiz...28Intel_VT-x.29 ) rather than emulating an entire x86 CPU. That setting is specifically for allocating processor cores to the virtual machine. Your host OS will use the rest. I think I saw in the wiki that there's a limit on how many CPU cores you can allocate. EDIT yes, here it is, under "Hardware support":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Workstation

Also, if I can use whatever fixes other people are using then why does Shut Down/Restart still give me that error to hold down the power button?

No idea, maybe you're doing it wrong? I really don't know, what I know about VMWare I learned by reading the wiki article just now. I use Parallels Desktop on non-virtualized retail OS X to virtualize Windows XP (which, I might add, runs like a dream, if you can say that about Windows XP).

No, as far as the CPU goes, VMware Workstation uses your CPU directly through Intel VT-x ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualiz...28Intel_VT-x.29 ) rather than emulating an entire x86 CPU. That setting is specifically for allocating processor cores to the virtual machine. Your host OS will use the rest. I think I saw in the wiki that there's a limit on how many CPU cores you can allocate. EDIT yes, here it is, under "Hardware support":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Workstation <- you need version 7.0 or higher to use all your 4 cores.

Alright, sweet. I so have VT-x enabled and it runs very nice with all 4 cores selected :)

No idea, maybe you're doing it wrong? I really don't know, what I know about VMWare I learned by reading the wiki article just now. I use Parallels Desktop on non-virtualized retail OS X to virtualize Windows XP (which, I might add, runs like a dream, if you can say that about Windows XP).

Hmm, alright. I guess I will just leave it or something. It's not that big of a deal. But thank you for your replies.