[Solved] QE / CI / VRAM reporting problem (Dell Vostro 400 / GF 8800 GT 512)

Cortex_dk

30 posts in this topic

I dont think there are any other vid drivers loaded any longer, but i am a complete noob so there may be without me knowing where to look.

Ok, thats really wierd.. I checked the /S/L/E folder and there was no com.apple.boot.plist file in there anymore, so i took the generic one from Gringo (page1 post) and copied to the folder and repaired permissions.

Searching this Mac shows only now 2 com.apple.boot.plist files, in /S/L/E and /Extra

The one in SLE is plain, and the one in /extra modified.

Here is the modified one :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<string>6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c00d041030a010000000101060$

</dict>

</plist>

and the string i am injecting comes from this :

<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key> <dict> <key>@0,compatible</key> <string>NVDA,NVMac</string> <key>@0,device_type</key> <string>display</string> <key>@0,name</key> <string>NVDA,Display-A</string> <key>@1,compatible</key> <string>NVDA,NVMac</string> <key>@1,device_type</key> <string>display</string> <key>@1,name</key> <string>NVDA,Display-B</string> <key>NVCAP</key> <data> BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA= </data> <key>NVPM</key> <data> AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== </data> <key>VRAM,totalsize</key> <string>0x20000000</string> <key>device_type</key> <string>NVDA,Parent</string> <key>model</key> <string>nVidia GeForce 8800 GT</string> <key>name</key> <string>display</string> <key>rom-revision</key> <string>nVidia GeForce 8800 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]</string>

Another wierd thing is that i can no longer open com.apple.boot.plist from /extra using Property List Editor. It says the file cannot be opened...

I can however still open it using nano in terminal.

Any ideas on how i {censored}ed this up ? :)

I am thinking maybe i should try a totally clean new install on a fresh disk, and maybe avoid some of the mistakes i have made in this old installation.

I was just hoping to avoid this as i already have a lot of user files on this installation, and i would hate to have to reinstall a lot of the soundbanks i have installed. It's like my old shoes... :)

I fixed the com.apple.boot.plist file by taking the file from /SLE, copying it to /extra, editing the values with nano. I left out the gfx string part, as you said XLR. That was correct right .. I dont need an EFI string inserted here ?

Rebooting.. Hoping for a miracle but expecting not much.

I fixed the com.apple.boot.plist file by taking the file from /SLE, copying it to /extra, editing the values with nano. I left out the gfx string part, as you said XLR. That was correct right .. I dont need an EFI string inserted here ?

Rebooting.. Hoping for a miracle but expecting not much.

Rebooted.. Same thing.

Here is a dump of CABP from /extra

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

Now it is possible to open with Plist Editor again.

Hello Again Everybody.

I had a brand new HD laying around so i made a completely fresh installation, IAtkos S3 V2, and are now writing from this installation.

Not much has changed GFX wise, i still haven't got any acceleration, and the card is not properly identified by the system.

I installed using Chameleon 2.0 rc5, and after installation upgraded to the latest version, and installed the config panel.

Installed Kext helper

Installed the intel82566 kext to get my network to work.

Funny thing... when trying to look at my HD i cannot find the folder /extra, but when i use terminal it is there, and containing the correct files...

Here is a dump of the CABP from /extra

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

</dict>

</plist>

here is the systems info :

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0611

Revision ID: 0x00a2

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

There is no other drivers installed on this system, as i didn't choose any during the new install, just boot options - GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Any ideas ?

The only other solution i can see right now is maybe trying a different distro, as it is supposed to work out the box with this card and Graphics Enabler in Chameleon. I cant see what i am doing wrong here.. Hoping someone can help.

Another thing i noticed with the fresh install, is that my xbench scores are significantly higher now, compared to the old installation. I now get 175 overall without disk, where my other installation only reaches 115.

Another solution is if there is any way of cheating the logic installer, so it doesnt close.

I can honestly say i dont care about the acceleration, my systems looks fine to me, and i plan to basically only use logic on this machine. (If i could only ever get it installed)

I dont need it... Which makes the situation even more frustrating.

I have purchased the really expensive logic pro package and cannot use it..

Please someone help me out..

:D SUCCES AT LAST !! :P

After spending another entire day on re-installing OSX i have now got my GeForce 8800 GT 512 to fully function, QE/CI Enabled and working. Logic installing as i write this so i am a happy camper.

I think i can re-create the installation procedure, so i can test it out on my other installation where all my data currently resides a little later (logic installing 55gb.. hehe)

Btw. Another way of quickly testing if QE/CI is enabled is to open FrontRow. If it works QE/CI is enabled.

I have tried to shed some light on the installation procedure i used below here.. Please forgive if there is something there is redundant, i am in no way an expert, but others with this card might benefit from my experiences.

Using Iatkos S3 V2 i choosed the following from customize menu : (if not mentioned, then not selected)

Bootloader :

AseraBLN

PC_EFI

Bootloader options :

GraphicsEnabler

Patches :

Extra Directory

Fakesmc

Disabler

RTC

EVO Reboot

Drivers :

Main hardware - Intel SATA (Ever so important to choose, or you will get a "Waiting for Root

device - Error message")

Sound - Voodoo HDA

Sound - Apple HDA

VGA - Nvidia - EFI String - DVI/DVI

VGA - Nvidia - Enablers - NVEnabler

NTFS-3G Both Mac Fuse Core and NTFS-3G (since i also have a harddisk with Windoze and would like to access those files too)

Network - Wired - Intel

That's the configuration as i remember setting it... I am currently testing the install procedure, and will report back if there are any changes.

This has in a way become a complete Dell Vostro 400 / Geforce 8800 GT install guide :(

I have attached a new Intel Gigabit Kext, that was able to handle my card. Install with Kext helper.

:D SUCCES AT LAST !! :P

After spending another entire day on re-installing OSX i have now got my GeForce 8800 GT 512 to fully function, QE/CI Enabled and working. Logic installing as i write this so i am a happy camper.

I think i can re-create the installation procedure, so i can test it out on my other installation where all my data currently resides a little later (logic installing 55gb.. hehe)

Btw. Another way of quickly testing if QE/CI is enabled is to open FrontRow. If it works QE/CI is enabled.

I have tried to shed some light on the installation procedure i used below here.. Please forgive if there is something there is redundant, i am in no way an expert, but others with this card might benefit from my experiences.

Using Iatkos S3 V2 i choosed the following from customize menu : (if not mentioned, then not selected)

Bootloader :

AseraBLN

PC_EFI

Bootloader options :

GraphicsEnabler

Patches :

Extra Directory

Fakesmc

Disabler

RTC

EVO Reboot

Drivers :

Main hardware - Intel SATA (Ever so important to choose, or you will get a "Waiting for Root

device - Error message")

Sound - Voodoo HDA

Sound - Apple HDA

VGA - Nvidia - EFI String - DVI/DVI

VGA - Nvidia - Enablers - NVEnabler

NTFS-3G Both Mac Fuse Core and NTFS-3G (since i also have a harddisk with Windoze and would like to access those files too)

Network - Wired - Intel

That's the configuration as i remember setting it... I am currently testing the install procedure, and will report back if there are any changes.

This has in a way become a complete Dell Vostro 400 / Geforce 8800 GT install guide :)

I have attached a new Intel Gigabit Kext, that was able to handle my card. Install with Kext helper.

XBench Score now 210 without HD :-D

...And i can see the spinning OpenGL graphic for the first time.. Front row working too :-)

Intel82566MM.kext.rar

Just here to confirm the installation procedure... And to warn about using the migration tool ;-)

It seems that the migration tool moves the folder /Library and writes over some needed system files if you just choose to migrate as the tool suggests.

The result for me was that the system could not boot... So i just wiped the disk, re-installed OSX, and moved all my files manually.

Everything is working now (sleep not tested), except for shutdown which restarts the computer, but that is a minor neusance at best, so i dont think i will spend much time on it.

Good luck to everybody else out there, fiddling with their own hackOSX installation.

• 1 month later...